Easy Soda Cupcakes

Soda cupcakes are a quick and easy way to whip up some seriously delicious treats. Keep reading below for a recipe and some of my favorite combinations!

soda cupcakes

So I was talking to some of my co-workers last week at lunch, and the subject of various cakes came up.  When I mentioned “soda cake”, they all looked at me like I had 5 heads.  So I started thinking, hmmm, I wonder if this is a baking phenomenon that not many people know about?!?  Well, if that’s the case, then I’m here to spread the word!

Ok, so first things first…let’s go over the ingredients for a soda cake:

Yes, that is correct!  All you need to make a soda cake is a box of your favorite cake mix and a 12oz. can of any flavored diet soda! (I didn’t have any cans, so I just measured out 12oz.)  This is one of the EASIEST cake recipes I know!  And although it’s hard to call cake or soda “healthy”, it’s definitely an option that allows you to cut some calories.

Soda Cake

1. Pour cake mix into large mixing bowl.
  2. Dump 12oz. can of diet soda in with cake mix.
  3. *Optional: Add 1-2 egg whites (I added one, for a little extra “fluff”)
  4. Mix together with an electric mixer.
  5. Bake according to directions on the box!

soda cupcakes

These bad boys went into a 325 degree oven for about 17 minutes, and came out looking puffy and lovely! :)

soda cupcakes

This was my first time attempting the orange soda + french vanilla cake mix combo.  Normally, my favorite combo is a devil’s food cake mix + wild cherry diet pepsi!  But really, the possibilities are ENDLESS!

angel or yellow cake + diet orange soda
banana cake mix + diet root beer
cherry chip cake + A& W diet Cream soda
chocolate cake or devils food + diet pepsi
chocolate cake + diet vanilla coke
chocolate cake + diet root beer

lemon cake mix + diet 7-up
lemon cake + diet ginger ale
lemon + diet lemon
marble cake + diet cream soda

red velvet + diet cherry vanilla Dr Pepper
spice cake + diet lemon-lime
spice cake + diet orange
white cake + diet ginger ale
white cake + diet orange

white cake + diet sprite
yellow cake + diet orange

So to go along with what I like to call my “Creamsicle Cupcakes”, I decided to make some of my own vanilla buttercream frosting.  There is definitely no way around the fact that this frosting is NOT healthy…but it’s out of this world! :)

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

– 1/2 cup butter, softened

– 3 cups confectioners sugar

– 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

– 1-3 tbsp milk

Cream together butter and sugar.  Add vanilla and 1 tbsp. milk.  Continue to add milk until desired consistency is achieved. (I ended up using almost 3 tbsp).  And then I ended up with THESE!

soda cupcakes

I was really hoping I had orange sprinkles somewhere to go along with my “orange” cupcakes, but no such luck.  Oh well!  At least they match the liners! :)

soda cupcakes

I broke out the pastry bag tonight to do some “fancy frosting”! 😀

soda cupcakes

One of the best parts about soda cakes is that they’re SO MOIST!  Look at how soft and spongy these are!

soda cupcakes

I’ve already had one, and I think I may end up eating one more before the night is over :)

Have you ever tried or heard of Soda Cakes?  What flavor combo would you most like to try?? 😀

1. Sam says

Hey, I made diet Dr. Pepper/French Vanilla cupcakes and brought them into work today. I didn’t really go all diet with them though… easy enough to make :)

How interesssstinnggg. Does it taste sort of orange flavored? I can’t imagine what it can begin to taste like!

The bread on your ‘sammich’ looks freaking wildly delicious. I want to have some lol. :)

3. Alexa says

Courtney! I’ve been following along with your blog for a while (it always pops up on fb!) You’re such a healthy eater, I’m so jealous! But hey, next year when I have my own kitchen, I’ll catch up! These look GREAT! I’ll have to test them on the Ritz family!

4. Karen says

Hi Courtney! I am making yellow cake for my mom’s birthday with milk chocolate frosting, what kind of diet soda would you use and would it work with a cake not cupcakes?? I love reading your blog everyday!!

• Courtney says

Hi Karen! Yes, it will definitely work with a regular cake! Since you’re doing a yellow cake, then I would say to stay away from the darker sodas. Usually, I would just do a diet sprite/7-up…you could do ginger ale/orange/any other light sodas, but just be sure to pick one that you think would work with the chocolate frosting. Good luck! :)

5. Dawn B. says

So do I follow the normal directions on the cake or do I substitute the liquid the cake asks for with the soda?

• Dawn B. says

I decided to up the flavor a little bit.
      I’m going to cut a little of the middle out and fill it with a vanilla pudding add some of my powdered sugar frosting, istead of the egg white for the moisture and on the top I’m probably going to add a little vanilla butter cream frosting. For the less so sweet side

My boss has actually been making these for a while (in cake form). I love that I found someone else who knows what pop (cup)cakes are:) She actually started making them because they are weight watcher approved!!

I love this so much! I just started my blog on Monday, and yesterday I posted about using Diet Mountain Dew in yellow cake (which I discovered on Alyssa’s blog at Life of Blyss)…I had never heard of that before, and now I just saw your guest post @ The Lunchbox Diaries! Love your blog, by the way, super cute and I have made many a recipe from your posts!

8. Bekah says

I am going to be having my daughter’s princess birthday party this weekend and will definitely be trying this! The Cranberry Sierra Mist will make pink cupcakes & I thought about a vanilla cake mix with Grape Soda for Purple ones too! Any ideas what other kinds of cake mix I could use with the Grape??

I know this is a fairly old blog post, but I felt the need to comment. Did you know that aspartame is not safe to cook with? It turns to formaldeyhyde, which can lead to formaldehyde poisoning in your body. It is never safe to cook or bake with or put in jello or hot drinks.

You can bake with diet drinks sweetened with Splenda aka is sucralose, but using diet drinks sweetened with aspartame is very dangerous for your body.
    Stephanie recently posted..Strawberry Sundress & Bloomers Pattern

10. phoebe says

Hi Courtney! I made the soda cupcakes this morning (Lemon cake mix + Lemon 7 Up) –> SUCCESS!! It’s my first cupcakes :)) My friends love them!

My frosting isn’t as stiff as yours though, hence the shape of the swirl isn’t as pretty. What power do you usually use? And how long beating time?

I did it this way:
    1. Melt butter in microwave
    2. Beat butter and sugar (sifted, 1 cup at a time) — LOW power, 2mins
    3. Add vanilla, milk (2 tbsp) — LOW, 2mins
    3. (Then I tested it and found tons of sugar bits… so I beat again, with HIGH power, around 3mins)