I'll Have Some Soda…In My Cupcake?

by Courtney on April 26, 2010

Interesting, right? More on that in a second! ;)

So to recap my day earlier, (like I promised!) I ended up eating my leftover pizza (SO GOOD) and veggies & hummus around 12:30.  Then around 4:00, I decided I wanted to little something, so I ended up having my yogurt and strawberries (it hit the spot).  After work, I had to make a quick trip to the store, where I stumbled across this yummy stuff!

Ever since I saw Julie’s strawberry banana smoothie the other day, I have had a serious craving for one!  Perhaps breakfast tomorrow morning? :)

I was on my own for dinner tonight, since Jay is out bowling in a tournament, so I decided to keep things simple.  As simple as it was, everything on this plate tasted DEEEELISH!

The salad looks a little sad, thanks to the wrinkled leftover roasted squash, but I swear they tasted even better than before!  Underneath the “wrinklies” is romaine, shredded carrots, and tomatoes, topped with a little balsamic vinegar.  My sandwich was definitely the all-star here though!

From top layer to bottom: whole-grain bread, a slather of honey mustard, tomato, spinach, sliced chicken breast, and (the star of the sandwich) a smear of The Laughing Cow light Swiss cheese!  I’ve never tried this on a sandwich before, and WOW have I been missing out!  It tasted amazing! :-D  I did, however, get a little bored with the crusts as you can see… ;)

After dinner, I decided that since I had the living room to myself for the evening, I would squeeze in my favorite pilates DVD.  It was a nice 30 minute workout, and all the stretching and core work felt great.  I wish I thought to do some pilates more often!

After gettin’ my “stretch” on, it was back to work in the kitchen (which I had already been working on before dinner!

So I was talking to some of my co-workers last week at lunch, and the subject of various cakes came up.  When I mentioned “soda cake”, they all looked at me like I had 5 heads.  So I started thinking, hmmm, I wonder if this is a baking phenomenon that not many people know about?!?  Well, if that’s the case, then I’m here to spread the word!

Ok, so first things first…let’s go over the ingredients for a soda cake:

Yes, that is correct!  All you need to make a soda cake is a box of your favorite cake mix and a 12oz. can of any flavored diet soda! :-D (I didn’t have any cans, so I just measured out 12oz.)  This is one of the EASIEST cake recipes I know!  And although it’s hard to call cake or soda “healthy”, it’s definitely a better option than the full eggs & oil recipe!

Soda Cake

Directions:

1. Pour cake mix into large mixing bowl.
  2. Dump 12oz. can of diet soda in with cake mix.
  3. *Optional: Add 1-2 egg whites (I added one, for a little extra “fluff”)
  4. Mix together with an electric mixer.
  5. Bake according to directions on the box!

These bad boys went into a 325 degree oven for about 17 minutes, and came out looking puffy and lovely! :)

This was my first time attempting the orange soda + french vanilla cake mix combo.  Normally, my favorite combo is a devil’s food cake mix + wild cherry diet pepsi!  But really, the possibilities are ENDLESS!

angel or yellow cake + diet orange soda
banana cake mix + diet root beer
cherry chip cake + A& W diet Cream soda
chocolate cake or devils food + diet pepsi
chocolate cake + diet vanilla coke
chocolate cake + diet root beer

lemon cake mix + diet 7-up
lemon cake + diet ginger ale
lemon + diet lemon
marble cake + diet cream soda

red velvet + diet cherry vanilla Dr Pepper
spice cake + diet lemon-lime
spice cake + diet orange
white cake + diet ginger ale
white cake + diet orange

white cake + diet sprite
yellow cake + diet orange

So to go along with what I like to call my “Creamsicle Cupcakes”, I decided to make some of my own vanilla buttercream frosting.  There is definitely no way around the fact that this frosting is NOT healthy…but it’s out of this world! :)

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

- 1/2 cup butter, softened

- 3 cups confectioners sugar

- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

- 1-3 tbsp milk

Cream together butter and sugar.  Add vanilla and 1 tbsp. milk.  Continue to add milk until desired consistency is achieved. (I ended up using almost 3 tbsp).  And then I ended up with THESE!

I was really hoping I had orange sprinkles somewhere to go along with my “orange” cupcakes, but no such luck.  Oh well!  At least they match the liners! :)

I broke out the pastry bag tonight to do some “fancy frosting”! :-D

One of the best parts about soda cakes is that they’re SO MOIST!  Look at how soft and spongy these are!

I’ve already had one, and I think I may end up eating one more before the night is over :)

Have you ever tried or heard of Soda Cakes?  What flavor combo would you most like to try?? :-D

1 Sam April 26, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Hey, I made diet Dr. Pepper/French Vanilla cupcakes and brought them into work today. I didn’t really go all diet with them though… easy enough to make :)

2 Courtney April 26, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I was talking to my mom earlier telling her I was making these and she told me then that you had just made some! Great minds think alike! :)

3 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com April 26, 2010 at 10:05 pm

ur such a gorgeous glowing energy. just had to say :)

btw ima bout to steal that sandwich from u.. and maybe ur kitty too hehe

xoxo <3 have a super week :)

4 Courtney April 27, 2010 at 8:06 am

Thank you so much!
I’ll let you steal the sandwich…but not my kitty! ;)

5 Heather April 27, 2010 at 7:17 am

Those cupcakes look so pretty!!

6 Beth April 27, 2010 at 7:29 am

Try diet cream soda with funfetti cake!! So good!

7 Courtney April 27, 2010 at 8:04 am

Oooo I bet it is! I LOVE funfetti cake! Thanks! :)

8 Nancy April 27, 2010 at 9:46 am

How interesssstinnggg. Does it taste sort of orange flavored? I can’t imagine what it can begin to taste like!

The bread on your ‘sammich’ looks freaking wildly delicious. I want to have some lol. :)

9 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life April 27, 2010 at 11:14 am

Yes, if you choose a diet soda with a little flavor, the cake will take on a subtle flavor of it. They’re SO GOOD!
(And yes, the bread is yummy!) :)

10 Alexa April 29, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Courtney! I’ve been following along with your blog for a while (it always pops up on fb!) You’re such a healthy eater, I’m so jealous! But hey, next year when I have my own kitchen, I’ll catch up! These look GREAT! I’ll have to test them on the Ritz family!

11 Courtney April 29, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Alexa! Glad to have you reading! Let me know if you try any of the recipes on the Ritz fam :)

12 Verneatha Spell-Profit November 12, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Sounds yummy. Any suggestions on what soda to add to the carrot cake mix?

13 Courtney November 12, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I would maybe try either a Sierra Mist/7-Up or ginger ale! I’ve never tried it with a carrot cake mix…let me know how it turns out! :)

14 Alexia March 10, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Do you think Lemon San Pellegrino would work with a white cake???

15 Courtney March 10, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Hmmmm, never tried it before? But I think it’d totally be worth a shot!! Let me know if you try it!

16 Karen April 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Hi Courtney! I am making yellow cake for my mom’s birthday with milk chocolate frosting, what kind of diet soda would you use and would it work with a cake not cupcakes?? I love reading your blog everyday!!

17 Courtney April 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Hi Karen! Yes, it will definitely work with a regular cake! Since you’re doing a yellow cake, then I would say to stay away from the darker sodas. Usually, I would just do a diet sprite/7-up…you could do ginger ale/orange/any other light sodas, but just be sure to pick one that you think would work with the chocolate frosting. Good luck! :)

18 Dawn B. May 31, 2011 at 3:28 pm

So do I follow the normal directions on the cake or do I substitute the liquid the cake asks for with the soda?

19 Courtney May 31, 2011 at 3:36 pm

You substitute EVERYTHING for the soda! No water, oil, OR eggs! Then just bake like normal :)

20 Dawn B. May 31, 2011 at 3:44 pm

thanks! i figured that after i asked the question

21 Dawn B. May 31, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I decided to up the flavor a little bit.
I’m going to cut a little of the middle out and fill it with a vanilla pudding add some of my powdered sugar frosting, istead of the egg white for the moisture and on the top I’m probably going to add a little vanilla butter cream frosting. For the less so sweet side

22 Courtney May 31, 2011 at 3:47 pm

That sounds AWESOME! Feel free to send any extras my way ;)

23 April @ Motor City Runner July 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm

My boss has actually been making these for a while (in cake form). I love that I found someone else who knows what pop (cup)cakes are:) She actually started making them because they are weight watcher approved!!

24 Sam August 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I love this so much! I just started my blog on Monday, and yesterday I posted about using Diet Mountain Dew in yellow cake (which I discovered on Alyssa’s blog at Life of Blyss)…I had never heard of that before, and now I just saw your guest post @ The Lunchbox Diaries! Love your blog, by the way, super cute and I have made many a recipe from your posts!

25 katie Carso September 15, 2011 at 11:37 am

I love this! I have actually done the cooking cupcakes with soda too! I think it rocks!

Love the PINK sprinkle touch on the cupcakes ; ) you know I love my pink !

Happy Thursday love!
katie Carso recently posted..Moving { Giveaway }

26 Angela @ MyPinkyToes September 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Oh my, I will definitely have to try to make some of these! I’m not normally a baker, but this looks simple so hopefully I couldn’t mess it up!
Angela @ MyPinkyToes recently posted..Fitness, Mood, and Body Image

27 Bekah January 4, 2012 at 11:26 am

I am going to be having my daughter’s princess birthday party this weekend and will definitely be trying this! The Cranberry Sierra Mist will make pink cupcakes & I thought about a vanilla cake mix with Grape Soda for Purple ones too! Any ideas what other kinds of cake mix I could use with the Grape??

28 Stephanie April 8, 2013 at 12:20 am

I know this is a fairly old blog post, but I felt the need to comment. Did you know that aspartame is not safe to cook with? It turns to formaldeyhyde, which can lead to formaldehyde poisoning in your body. It is never safe to cook or bake with or put in jello or hot drinks.

You can bake with diet drinks sweetened with Splenda aka is sucralose, but using diet drinks sweetened with aspartame is very dangerous for your body.
Stephanie recently posted..Strawberry Sundress & Bloomers Pattern

29 Lynda December 27, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Hi Courtney
I was just wondering if these cake mixes can be mixed with regular soda pop not the diet ones?

30 phoebe February 3, 2014 at 5:56 am

Hi Courtney! I made the soda cupcakes this morning (Lemon cake mix + Lemon 7 Up) –> SUCCESS!! It’s my first cupcakes :)) My friends love them!

My frosting isn’t as stiff as yours though, hence the shape of the swirl isn’t as pretty. What power do you usually use? And how long beating time?

I did it this way:
1. Melt butter in microwave
2. Beat butter and sugar (sifted, 1 cup at a time) — LOW power, 2mins
3. Add vanilla, milk (2 tbsp) — LOW, 2mins
3. (Then I tested it and found tons of sugar bits… so I beat again, with HIGH power, around 3mins)