The Great Dress Debate

by Courtney on May 28, 2010

So, as many of you may or may not know, I have a very special WEDDING coming up next weekend for our friends Joe & Kate.  Aren’t they so cute? :)

On Wednesday, before meeting up for dinner with Gabby, I did a little shopping at the mall. :)  I ended up leaving with 2 dresses which could be possible contenders for the wedding, but I was all by myself and really couldn’t decide.  So, what’s a girl to do?

Well, if she has her own blog, she asks her readers for help! :-D

Ok, so I have 3 contending dresses all together – the 2 I just bought, and 1 that I already have, which I actually wore to my own rehearsal dinner.  My fabulous hubby did a great job playing “photog” yesterday, so I could share all of the dresses with you.  So here we go, let’s take a look…

Dress #1 – Floral Strapless

Pros: I love this dress for the POCKETS!  I don’t know what it is, but I totally have a thing for pockets on dresses – not only for the comfort, but also because I think they add such a nice, modern twist to what could be a classic looking dress.  The top of this dress also kind of reminded me of the asymmetrical one that J-Lo wore to this year’s Academy Awards (which is weird because I really didn’t like that dress!)

Cons: It’s strapless, which means I may possibly be picking and pulling at it all day/night.

Dress #2 – Nine West

Pros: You can’t go wrong with any combo of black + white + another color.  Always classic looking.  I really like the V-neckline, which I find flattering, and the length is one that would leave me feeling very comfortable and not self-conscious about showing too much while out on the dance floor. ;)  Plus, I could wear these shoes!

I COMPLETELY forgot I even owned these!  How could I?!?  I found them shoved in the back of my closet just this past weekend.  I bought them at Marshalls probably almost 2 years ago – they were $120 shoes by Tahari, which were on the clearance rack for $19.99!!!  They’re way too high for an everyday shoe for me, but for special occasions, sure thing!

Cons: I was trying not to wear too much black, just because I wanted to embrace the upcoming summer season with bright, cheery colors. :) Plus, it was also the most expensive dress.

Dress #3 – Banana Republic, already owned

Pros: I already own this dress, so it wouldn’t cost me anything.  I love the color, which is nice and bright, and it has a really cool starburst pattern around the waist area.  PLUS, I would have an excuse to wear THESE super cute shoes which I’m supposed to be saving for my friend Joelle’s wedding in October, but shhhh! ;)

Cons: The material is a bit heavy, and makes me think a little more of a colder weather dress.  The neckline is also a little less exciting to me than the other two dresses.  Plus, then I’d have to return BOTH of the dresses I just bought, rather than just one. ;)

SO WHICH ONE SHOULD I CHOOSE?!?!

Help me decide by leaving me a comment on this post with your vote for your favorite & why:

Dress #1, Dress #2, or Dress #3?!?

Which will it be?!? ;)

1 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 28, 2010 at 10:35 am

I like the black and yellow ones. Those shoes are ADORABLE! Love them. :)

Jenn

2 peanutbutterfingers May 28, 2010 at 10:49 am

oooh i LOVE the first one… so flattering & classy!

also, those shoes are flippin’ fantastic! i might wear the third dress to bust out those shoes! :)

3 peanutbutterfingers May 28, 2010 at 10:50 am

p.s. you are gorgeous!

4 Courtney May 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm

You are too sweet, thank you! :-D

5 Shanna May 28, 2010 at 10:50 am

The first dress is perfect! Very cute :) All look great and I’m in love with the last two shoes!

Oh and btw, you’ve inspired my own blog writing!!! Thank you!

6 Courtney May 28, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Awww, that’s fantastic! Congrats! :)

7 Sarah May 28, 2010 at 10:52 am

I vote for first dress! LOVE it and its very different from anything I have ever seen you wear!

8 Sarah May 28, 2010 at 10:54 am

Just curious.. what is Jays vote? i have my guess which one.. I think its the one you already have so you dont buy another one..

9 Courtney May 28, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Hahaha, you would think so! But he actually likes #2. He liked #1 on the hanger and when he saw it on me, his face got all distorted and scary looking…he actually doesn’t like that one!

10 Meghan May 28, 2010 at 11:01 am

This makes me think of a question no one really seems to have an answer to… Maybe you can help? What is the policy of wearing a patterned dress to a wedding that has a lot of white in it? I know that it is considered against the rules to wear all white (obviously, it is the brides day!) but how do you judge if the pattern is enough to cover up the white underneath? I have a wedding coming up as well and have a dress I would love to wear, but I am concerned that it is too much white…

11 Courtney May 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm

This is a very good question!
I’ve always thought that as long as you play around with some color and accesories, wearing white as the base of the dress is ok. Being this time of year, a lot of dresses will use white in them, so it can be hard not to find the color somewhere.
You just don’t want to be mistaken for the bride, so obviously going all white would not be in the cards. I already know what the bride is wearing for this wedding, so I know we’ll be ok! :)

12 Courtney May 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm

If you’re unsure about your dress, play it up with funky accessories or a hot colored pair of shoes so that guests will obviously know you’re not trying to steal the brides’ thunder ;)

13 Pat May 28, 2010 at 11:07 am

I like the black and yellow for something dressy, for a more casual look, I like the first one. just not too sure about the shoes

14 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 28, 2010 at 11:07 am

I loveee the last pair shoes – they’re so fierce! <3

15 jeanine mitchell May 28, 2010 at 11:14 am

Wow, I love them all!!! I love, love the first one and the shoes on the last one too. So hard to decide….where is the wedding? that might help me decide

16 Courtney May 28, 2010 at 1:22 pm

The wedding is at the Comfort Inn off exit 10 on I-90. I’ve never been there, but hear it’s really nice. The wedding isn’t going to be “over the top” or anything like that, since Joe & Kate are pretty laid back, but it’s still going to be classy.

17 Nicole May 28, 2010 at 11:23 am

I think the first dress is perfect! The floral pattern is so summey and the strapless top looks incredible with your very toned arms and shoulders! Wear it for all us girls who hide under shawls!!! Have fun at the wedding!

18 Hailey Strelich (Adventures in Health) May 28, 2010 at 11:24 am

Oh I love #2, so classy and not to casual for a wedding. If the wedding is super casual then #1. Also love the shoes with #2 super sexy!!

19 learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood May 28, 2010 at 11:27 am

I really like the second dress. I think that it would be great for a summer wedding because of the addition of yellow to the dress. if it was just black and white i wouldnt recommend it!! :)

20 Kate May 28, 2010 at 11:27 am

I vote for #2. Every detail is perfect, ponytail and all!

21 MLT May 28, 2010 at 11:37 am

Definitely dress number one. Number 3 is my second favorite. Number 2 is my least favorite- it looks like tons of other dresses I’ve seen over the past couple of years. But the shoes are adorable! I think the pinky-reds in 1 and 3 are more flattering on you than black/yellow. Whi9cheverone you go with you’ll have great shoes!

22 Liza May 28, 2010 at 11:43 am

I’m torn.. #1 is my fave, but I have the same problem as you do with strapless dresses falling down when i dance…. not fun at all!!! I also love #2!! It’s a great classic outfit that you can wear for many different “dress-up” occasions, so it’s definitely worth purchasing! Pink is my fave color, so of course i love #3 as well! You can’t go wrong with ANY of these options! Have fun!!!

23 constantlyunwinding May 28, 2010 at 11:54 am

I LOVE dress #1 so cute and the cut looks great on you! Have fun:)

24 suki May 28, 2010 at 11:57 am

#1 since it’s so summery. #2 is my runner-up. :)

25 Tracy May 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm

#1 is great, and perfect for this time of the year. Love #2 also… Either way, they are both great picks!

26 cookinfanatic May 28, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I adore that first dress, so summery and sophisticated!!! You are so pretty btw!! :)

27 Elle May 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I say #1! It’s super cute and I might pair it with some high metallic shoes (as opposed to black). Where is it from btw? Grab some of that sticky tape to hold it up and you’re good to go. I also really like the other two but they seem more conservative and not quite as fun for a summery wedding. Good luck and have a great time!

28 Courtney May 28, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I found this dress at Macy’s!
I actually don’t care much for the shoes that I paired with #1, so I’d be choosing something else to go with it if #1 wins :)

29 Courtney May 28, 2010 at 1:24 pm

And GOOD idea with the sticky tape…can’t believe I didn’t think of that!!

30 Elle May 28, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Sometimes I just love Macy’s! The super super sticky kind of tape – it really works best on lightweight materials. Oh also, I’m going to the HLS in August! Completely signed up on a whim but now I’m really excited.

31 Courtney May 28, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Yay! That’s so exciting!

32 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices May 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Love all of your pictures– you are so pretty :)
And, I say #1- I LOVE it. Very summery & cute. Plus it looks GREAT on you..well, they all do, but I love that one!

33 Kris | iheartwellness.com May 28, 2010 at 1:11 pm

#1 baby!!! I love this dress on you….it is so flattering!

You are hot stuff in these dresses!

XXOO

34 cardiopizza May 28, 2010 at 1:43 pm

First one! I Love pockets too! :)

You are stunning!

35 Kara @ MyWellnest May 28, 2010 at 1:44 pm

What a difficult choice! I like them all so much. I love-love-love pockets in a dress! I love the V of dress 2, and I love the shoes for dress 3! My gut says dress 2 though.

36 briana May 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Number two those shoes are fantastic

37 amy May 28, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Def dress #2 you’ll be comfy, its a perfect summer wedding dress and u don’t have to worry about it falling down on the dance floor.

38 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 28, 2010 at 3:05 pm

P.S. Where did you get those floral pumps? Love.

39 Courtney May 28, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Macy’s! They’re Anne Klein

40 Heather T May 28, 2010 at 3:52 pm

3 votes for dress #2, the black/white/yellow one. (One vote from me and the other two from my co-workers, hehe). But you should keep both dresses because the floral one is way too cute not to keep too. Plus it has pockets, which you love.

41 Courtney May 28, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Hahaha, thanks Nutjob ;)

42 Tina May 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I love #1. It just looks so good on you. If you think its not right for a wedding or that it will be uncomfortable then #3 gets my next vote bec the shoes. I actually don’t care too much for the black dress. I like the dress, but not so much for a summery wedding.

43 Eri May 28, 2010 at 8:23 pm

The first dress definately gets my vote. Very cute, playful and summery. It looks really good on you.
I do think those shoes with the last dress are FABULOUS.:]

44 Alexa May 29, 2010 at 6:41 pm