😀 It’s FASHION FRIDAY!! 😀
And I’ve got a new topic for you all today!
Color can be a tricky thing.
I’m sure we’ve all had a moment like this: a friend is wearing a dress that looks absolutely stunning on her, but when you try it on, it’s horrible! Ok, so what gives? Well, it’s probably not you; it’s just not your color!
Know Your Colors
Wearing the “right” colors can do wonderful things for you!
- Your skin tone will be glowing and radiant
- Your eyes will appear brighter and clearer
- Your hair will reflect its natural highlights better
- You will have an overall style “pick-me-up”
Wearing the “wrong” colors, however, can be a bummer…
- Your skin tone will appear tired and drained
- Your hair, eyes, and teeth will appear dull and lifeless
- Dark circles under your eyes will be much more pronounced… (Do the comments, “You look tired” or “Are you feeling ok?” ring a bell?)
Determine Your Color
There are many complex, and (what I find to be) difficult, ways to figure out what “season” skin tone you are. So rather than that, I say we try to focus on this: we were all born with a natural hair color, eye color, and skin tone. Luckily, we didn’t have to do anything for all of these to be set in balance, it was a given. As we get older, however, we do tend to “tinker” with some of these things (i.e., hair dyes, colored contacts, faux tanning) which can make it difficult to remember exactly what those natural colors were.
So to understand what colors are best for you, it’s important to consider these 3 things:
- What is your natural hair color? – If you don’t know, check over some old photos, or ask a friend (or mom!).
- What is your eye color? – Really examine your eyes; notice all the colors around them. Wearing colors that match the colors in your eyes will only enhance them. AND, DID YOU KNOW: most people actually have flecks of their natural hair color in their eyes? 😉
- What is your skin tone? – This is where the “seasonal” coloring usually comes into play. But instead, let’s just focus on whether or not you’re “warm-toned” or “cool-toned”. Undertones can often be found my looking at the veins on the underside of your arm: if your veins appear bluish, you are cool-toned, if they appear greenish, you are warm-toned.
*Cool-toned skin will be either:
- dark brown with reddish or blue undertones
- brown with pink undertone
- medium with no color in cheeks
- medium with faint color in cheeks
- faint with pink undertones
*Warm-toned skin will be either:
- very dark brown with golden undertones
- brown with golden undertone
- medium with golden undertone
- pale with peach or gold undertone
Now, Make It WORK!
Now that you’ve (hopefully) determined your natural color, it’s time to see what colored clothing you should be wearing to best suit YOU!
WARM TONES – You’re going to look best in THESE colors…
- These include “earth tones” – yellows, oranges, browns, yellowish greens and orange-based reds.
- Looks better in ivory than pure white
- Looks washed out with black warn close to the face
COOL TONES – You’re going to look best in THESE colors…
- These include “jewel tones” – blues, greens, pinks, purples, blue-greens, magentas, and blue-based reds.
- Looks better in pure white than ivory
- Can easily wear black
**If you want to really make a statement, wear clothing of contrasting colors (those opposite on the color wheel – think yellow and blue). To blend in, weat clothing with complimentary colors (those sitting next to each other on the color wheel – think red and orange)**
After doing my own color matching, I’ve determined that I’m cool-toned!
What color are YOU???