Banana Toffee Picnic Cupcakes

by Courtney on June 30, 2010

I’ve got a real treat for you guys this evening!

I’m actually headed out for Happy Hour with my friends Kate & Meg in a little while, and then we’re going over to the boys’ softball game tonight, so it might be a little bit later of an evening.

Since I’m still not sure what’s planned for dinner, I didn’t want to leave all my favorite readers hangin’, so I have a little recipe to share with you all!

Banana Toffee Picnic Cupcakes

These babies were probably one of the easiest but most flavorful cupcakes to make – they’re a MUST TRY.

I had some suuuuuper ripe bananas to use up, and I found this recipe while perusing the Betty Crocker website, so I figured I’d give it a shot!

The original recipe called for your standard water + vegetable oil + eggs, but I figured: why not make it a soda cake???

Headed into the oven…

YUM!! :-P

I was able to hold myself off from devouring them for all of about 10 minutes — I drizzled mine with a tiny bit of caramel syrup on top…

It literally melted in my mouth.  The cupcake was soooo moist, with just the perfect hint of banana, and the extra crunch and sweetness of the toffee bits on top.  All of that paired with the ooey, gooey caramel, and I was in love.  I’ll be interested to see how long these last in the house! ;)

Banana Toffee Picnic Cupcakes

(adapted from Betty Crocker’s Banana Toffee Picnic Cake recipe)

1 box yellow cake mix

1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 2 medium)

1 can diet Sierra Mist soda

1/2 tsp almond extract

1/2 cup toffee bits

Directions:

1. Heat over to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake pan with liners, or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Beat cake mix, bananas, soda, and almond extract with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.  Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.  Sprinkle toffee bits evenly over each cupcake.
  3. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  4. If desired, drizzle with caramel syrup when serving. ENJOY! :)

1 TheKetchupDiaries June 30, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! If I could jump through the computer screen, I would!!!!!!!

2 TheKetchupDiaries June 30, 2010 at 7:24 pm

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 30, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Oh hello – YUM. I LOVE Heath toffee bars. Funny story, one of my dog’s name happens to be Heath b/c the people who rescued him thought he looked like a Heath bar.

4 Courtney June 30, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Awww, too cute!!

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 30, 2010 at 7:42 pm

6 Courtney June 30, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Awww, too cute!!

7 Kelly June 30, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I have heard about using soda in cakes but I just haven’t ever done it. But it looks so easy and so good. I might have to try it out this weekend for the 4th! Have a good night tonight pretty one! :)

8 Courtney June 30, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Oh Kelly, it’s fabulous! Chocolate cake with flavored kinds of diet pepsi are my favorite! Cherry vanilla is definitely a good one! (Or I also recently did a yellow cake with orange soda which was just like a creamsicle) :-P

9 Kelly July 1, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Awesome! Okay I definitely want to try this for the 4th this weekend. I am not a chocolate cake lover so tell me what you think the best combination would be that isn’t chocolate! Thanks!

10 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life July 1, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Hmmm…ok, let’s see!
If you’re going to make them for this weekend, what if you tried maybe some diet cherry 7-Up with a white or yellow cake mix? Then they’ll get a little pink (or you could add a little extra red food coloring) and top them with some fun festive frosting, either blue or white? :-P

11 Kelly July 1, 2010 at 6:05 pm

GREAT idea…although I am totally laughing that we are talking about this considering my post this afternoon, huh? HAHA…everything in moderation right?

But I like that idea…yellow cake with Cherry 7-UP! YUM!

12 Courtney July 1, 2010 at 6:54 pm

LOL – I know, it totally made me giggle earlier!
Hey, if there’s only 12oz. in the whole cake, and you make 24 cupcakes, that’s only 1/2 oz. per cupcake — you’re golden! ;)

13 Kelly June 30, 2010 at 7:49 pm

14 Courtney June 30, 2010 at 11:01 pm

15 Kelly July 1, 2010 at 2:52 pm

16 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life July 1, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Hmmm…ok, let’s see!

17 Kelly July 1, 2010 at 6:05 pm

But I like that idea…yellow cake with Cherry 7-UP! YUM!

18 Courtney July 1, 2010 at 6:54 pm

LOL – I know, it totally made me giggle earlier!

19 Shanna, like Banana June 30, 2010 at 8:57 pm

You have my address. I will expect them by Saturday. Thx :)

20 Courtney June 30, 2010 at 11:00 pm

HAHAHA!! :-D

21 Shanna, like Banana June 30, 2010 at 8:57 pm

You have my address. I will expect them by Saturday. Thx :)

22 Courtney June 30, 2010 at 11:00 pm

HAHAHA!! :-D

23 Autumn @ Good Eats Girl June 30, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Wow. These wouldn’t last long at my house. YUM!!!

24 Autumn @ Good Eats Girl June 30, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Wow. These wouldn’t last long at my house. YUM!!!

25 erica June 30, 2010 at 9:23 pm

yum!!!

26 erica June 30, 2010 at 9:23 pm

yum!!!

27 Fervent Foodie June 30, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Those cupcakes look fantastic!!! I hope you are bringing some to the HLS :D

28 Courtney June 30, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Hmmmm — good idea!! ;)

29 Fervent Foodie June 30, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Those cupcakes look fantastic!!! I hope you are bringing some to the HLS :D

30 Courtney June 30, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Hmmmm — good idea!! ;)

31 Megan June 30, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Ohh wow. I can’t believe how easy the recipe is and it looks fantastic!! Might make these for some friends this weekend! Thanks :)

32 Megan June 30, 2010 at 11:13 pm

33 spabettie June 30, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Mmm… these look FABULOUS.

I have never made a soda cake… I think it’s about time I try. :)

34 spabettie June 30, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Mmm… these look FABULOUS.

I have never made a soda cake… I think it’s about time I try. :)

35 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) July 1, 2010 at 3:15 am

Ummm court these look amazing!!!

i think cake mix is a gift from the Gods. when i move back to the states I am systematically buying every single one in the grocery store and making one of these fun recipes. :)

36 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) July 1, 2010 at 3:15 am

Ummm court these look amazing!!!

37 Carly June 26, 2012 at 4:34 pm

So I saw this recipe and it looks amazing, bananas and caramel is like one of my FAVORITE combos(: Okay, maybe a little too much emphasis but I’m so excited haha. So I was wondering if you could use this soda method for other boxed baked goods? Because I have this box of cookie brownies that I have been meaning to use.

38 Courtney June 26, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Ya know, that’s a great question! I honestly have NO idea if it’d work, but if you decide to give it a try, let me know how it goes! :)