When Should I Wash THIS?

by Courtney on July 9, 2010

:-D HAPPY FASHION FRIDAY!!! :-D

We’ve made to yet another Fashion Friday folks! On today’s agenda – the age old question:

“How many times can I wear ______ before washing it?”

If you’re anything like me, you try to keep the laundry basket from overflowing for as long as possible. I will wear certain items numerous times before washing, as long as they pass my “smelly” test (no funky, musty smells) & stain test (obviously, can’t be walkin’ around in dirty duds). I would say I’m most definitely guilty of waiting a little too long at times to launder things like jeans & my PJ’s, I’m not gonna lie. So let’s take a closer look at really just how many wears we should be getting out of our favorite, warm-weather pieces, shall we?

(Today’s post was inspired by Real Simple)

Bras

How Often Should You Wash: After 3-4 wears.

What to know: Bras don’t come into direct contact with the underarms, so they can withstand a few wearings. Even still, they need a 24-hour break between wears for the elastic to recover. Your best bet: try a rotation system. Line them up in a drawer. In the a.m., take a bra from the front, then send it to the back of the line in the p.m. However, if you sweat a lot, then you’re going to want to wash bras daily with a gentle baby detergent.

Jeans

How Often Should You Wash: After 4-5 wears.

What to know: Durable denim is excellent at hiding dirt—which is a good thing, since overwashing can cause jeans to fade and fray. To keep yours looking like new, throw them in the washer inside out and use cold water. Avoiding the dryer will help retain color, too. If they end end up stretching out on you, just toss them in the dryer for 10 minutes (but no more than that).

Khaki Shorts & Pants

How Often Should You Wash: After 2-3 wears.

What to know: Light-colored cottons are not as good at hiding noticeable spots like denim is. If you do end up getting a stain (which is inevitable for me), keep a portable stain remover on hand, such as a Tide To-Go Stain Remover stick. If your shorts/pants are made of stain-resistant fabrics, you’ll be able to get away with an extra wear or two. Be careful with using fabric softeners or dryer sheets though, as they can lessen the effectiveness of the fabric.

Pajamas

How Often Should You Wash: After 3-4 wears.

What to know: Swap out your pj’s twice as often as you change the sheets. We often don’t realize just how much we sweat at night (especially if you’re in my house) so it’s best to keep this rotation a little quicker than you might have thought. If you shower before bed, then you can’ll be able to get in an extra wear or two.

Swimsuits

How Often Should You Wash: After every wear.

What to know: Salt and chlorine will eat away at a swimsuit and stretch it out prematurely. Hand wash your suit with cool water and a gentle detergent, which will deep-clean and remove the nasty chlorine smell. Then, let the suit  air-dry. There are no exceptions here: even if you only dipped a toe in the water, a swimsuit is an intimate garment that absorbs body oils, bacteria, and odors. Best to wash it every time.

I hope this post has helped give all of you an idea of when to wash some of those easily looked-over pieces. So now, the question is…

Are you guilty of ever over-wearing a piece of clothing before finally washing it? ;)

1 suki July 9, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I think I end up washing things sooner than the recommended number of wears. :) So I guess I’m not the smelly kid in class. Heh.

Good information though!

2 Shanna, like Banana July 9, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Your next post could be about what a PITA dry-clean-only clothes are ;) Argh!!!

I probably overwash versus underwash, but I blame that on the fact that I am a sweaty beast. Super attractive, right? Ow, ow!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 9, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Jeans most definitely. They are just getting comfy after about 4 wears. Plus, I don’t typically wear jeans all day. So it’s only a few hours at a time more than likely.

4 Courtney @ Three Months July 9, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I’d say I’m about spot on with the recs! Well, except for PJs…maybe a little longer than what’s suggested! ;)

5 Nancy July 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I totally read this somewhere – was it in Real Simple magazine? lol

6 Nancy July 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Oh gosh, nevermind – I see that you linked Real Simple! HA!!! Sorry.

7 Jess July 9, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I am bad about not washing but bras but maybe once a week! My sports bras I wash every time I wear them, but my regular bras definetely need to visit the washer more often.

8 Kelly July 9, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I saw that article in Real Simple too! I only do laundry once a week so every week everything gets washed. Now that might mean that I wore the same pair of jeans all 5 days…haha…but every week it all goes in the spinner! haha! :)

9 Carrie July 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I’m guilty. I pulled a pair of jeans out of the hamper this morning, but they didn’t smell! And they weren’t really dirty, the husband tossed them in last night I think.

10 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life July 9, 2010 at 5:57 pm

HAHA – I’ve done that before! But I love that you admitted it! :)

11 missyrayn July 9, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I totally overwear things. I only wear my uniform for a few hours a day in the office so I smell the shirt before I put it on for a second day.

And I definitely wait to long to wash my jeans because Hunni has ruined a few by washing them incorrectly.

12 Faith July 9, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I always overwear my jeans…I’m terrified of stretching them out!

13 actorsdiet July 10, 2010 at 2:17 am

i love this post!!! i definitely overwear um….everything!

14 cardiopizza July 10, 2010 at 10:35 am

haha yes, especially bras and jeans! I need to get washin’! ;)

15 Jennifer July 10, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Well this certainly was informative. I’ve often wondered if I was the only one who wore my jeans at least 3 times before washing them. :)

16 Carol @ Lucky Zucca May 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm

This is a great post! Thanks for sharing. I’ll definitely be adhering to this advice from now on! I just discovered your fashion section and I’m loving it! Keep up the good work :]

17 Courtney May 24, 2011 at 9:19 pm