Garbage For Dinner

by Courtney on July 12, 2010

Hello friends! We’ve made it through another Monday — let’s raise the roof, shall we?

WOOO HOOO! :-D

Earlier today, after posting my killer smoothie, I had many of you asking about the xanthan gum.

According to the packaging of my Bob’s Red Mill bag, “Xanthan is used by people who are allergic to gluten to add volume and viscosity to bread and other gluten-free baked goods. It is made from a tiny microorganism called Xanthomonas campestris and is a natural carbohydrate.”

I definitely did notice that it gave my smoothie a thicker, almost gel-like consistency. It also seemed to prevent the smoothie from getting too watery towards the end of the glass, which was much appreciated.

Before using “the gum,” I was able to get a fairly thick smoothie, but it was usually only when I incorporated frozen bananas. If I nixed the banana, the thickness went down. So for instances like today, when all the fruit was fresh, I was definitely impressed. I bought my bag for $10.99, but considering I’ll really only be using about 1/2 tsp. at a time, it’s definitely going to last me for a while. So if you’ve been thinking about it, I would say, “Go For It!” :) I’m excited to try it out in some other recipes, too!

Dinner

Tonight’s dinner had been planned since the weekend, when I realized a had bought some whole wheat pizza dough that needed to be used. Jay and I decided that we weren’t really in the mood for pizza again, so I decided to create one of my old, childhood (and still adulthood) favorites: Garbage Bread!!

I split the dough in half and created two mini garbage breads (a.k.a. – stromboli, pizza bread, “enter your own name for it here”…). One of them (which I forgot to photograph) was simply made with pepperoni, reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, and a sprinkling of oregano & garlic powder. The hubby said he enjoyed that one, but it could have used more cheese. ;)

The other garbage bread got a generous helping of green & red peppers, red onion, 3 thin slices of black forest deli ham, & a combination of some reduced-fat mozzarella & fat free cheddar cheeses. I enjoyed 3 delicious slices with dinner – and then eventually went back for a fourth. They were small! ;)

If I had a recipe to give, I absolutely would, but it’s pretty easy and self-explanatory. The possibilities are endless when it comes to fillings – just go with what you like! My next challenge will be to come up with a dessert garbage bread.! :shock: When making the bread, just be careful that you don’t roll out your dough to thin — otherwise, your breads are going to explode (right Mom?) ;)

Since I knew it wouldn’t be super smart to fill up simply on “garbage” for dinner, I made some fresh salads to go along with our bread. My salad had a mix of romaine, cukes, pepper, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, & dried cranberries.

T’was a delicious and delightful meal! :-D

So I must say, I am quite excited this evening because I was offered the chance to review a product from CSN Stores! If you’ve never heard of CSN Stores, they are on online retailer that has over 200 different shopping sites under their main name. Crazy, right?!? They most likely have anything you’re looking for, from luggage, to shoes :mrgreen: , cookware – even twin beds! I was thinking about reviewing something that could be used in my favorite room of the house – the kitchen! ;) Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should go for?!?

It’s almost BACHELORETTE time!! I can’t wait to see what happens in the home town dates tonight. All I’ll say is…

Robertoooo!!! (right, Julie?!?) :-D

Question for the Night: (can’t remember if I’ve asked this one before, BUT…)

If given the chance, would you ever go on a reality show, such as The Bachelorette?

1 peanutbutterfingers July 12, 2010 at 8:03 pm

you know it!! go roberto, go!

2 Shanna, like Banana July 12, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Oh dessert garbage bread? Yum! I sense Nutella in the mix ;)

I think you did ask the question before…would you believe I was a finalist for being selected as one of the 20 girls for The Bachelor. I chickened out in the last interview and now I’ll never know..hahahaha :)

3 Eunice @ Food4Fit July 12, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I don’ think I’d go on a reality show just because I don’t think I’m all that entertaining for extended periods of time haha. I just saw the whole Jake and Vienna thing again and crazy people like that are another reason why I would never go on a reality show! :)

4 erica July 12, 2010 at 8:11 pm

omg, i want some garbage bread!!!

i don’t think i could do a reality show…at least not one like the bachelorette, i think i’d feel too self concious!

5 Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover July 12, 2010 at 8:22 pm

YUM!
Garbage bread looks SO good!
:D

6 Kara @ MyWellnest July 12, 2010 at 8:25 pm

The garbage bread looks delicious! Way too yummy looking for a name like garbage bread, lol!

7 Heather (Where's the Beach) July 12, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I’ve never heard of garbage bread – what a fun dinner. Love that salad mmmmmmm….

8 missyrayn July 12, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I would love to go on a reality show. But only some….not others. I really want to go on The Amazing Race.

9 Sam July 12, 2010 at 8:34 pm

You should maybe try out a mixer unless you have one… or a new blender :)

10 Courtney @ Three Months July 12, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Ooooh, I like the idea of garbage bread – looks pretty darn good!

11 Liza July 12, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I would LOVE to be on Survivor (yes, i STILL watch that show ;) ) or even the Real World. My cousin was on Beauty and the Geek in 2008!!

12 ellaroo88 July 12, 2010 at 10:05 pm

OMG that looks amazing! Garbage bread! WOW! I feel like I can almost taste it and smell it from my house.
I don’t think I’d go on a reality show. I feel like the whole show would just be me giggling and that would not be worth watching

13 Amy @ Second City Randomness July 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Garbage bread… what an awesome idea!

I don’t think I’d ever do the bachelorette… I don’t want an already difficult ordeal to be played out for all the world and in fast forward! Intimidating…

14 Autumn @ Good Eats Girl July 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm

This bread looks yummy!!

Good luck picking out something to review! I don’t know where I would start!

I love to watch reality tv, but I don’t know if I’d ever want to be on it…

15 TheBloggersBrother July 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Did it explode? If you wrote about it, I didnt read it, I only look at the pictures

16 Courtney July 13, 2010 at 8:09 am

Nope!! :-D

17 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 13, 2010 at 2:31 am

I missed the Bachelorette tonight. Can’t wait to watch it tomorrow.

ROBERTOO!! <3

18 Kerry July 13, 2010 at 2:57 am

Gargage bread? I’ve never heard of that! Looks delicious though!! xx

19 Weight Loss Plans July 13, 2010 at 7:48 am

We used to have a little cafe I guess you called it, that made the best garbage sandwiches. The first time I had picked a couple up for a quick meal add on, my husband thought I was losing it when I told him we were have a garbage sandwich for dinner. Wanted to know why I would serve it if it was garbage. Had a good laugh at the time, at his expense.
Have never actually made my own, but you have inspired me to do just that. Thanks for the recipe, garbage sandwich here I come.

20 Rosey Rebecca July 13, 2010 at 9:48 am

What a great idea for pizza dough! I’ll have to try that with my own fillings. I’ll also have to check out xanthan gum.

21 lisaou11 July 13, 2010 at 10:35 am

Garbage bread—is DEFINITELY NOT TRASH! haha.

I used to think I’d want to go on a reality show, but afters eeing how much they twist “reality”, I wouldnt want to be put through that.

22 Cooking with Coley July 13, 2010 at 10:47 am

Garbage bread is such a fun name! I think I may steal it from you (I’ll give you credit of course)!

Only reality show I’d go on would have to do with cooking! :)

23 Maura July 13, 2010 at 10:49 am

I honestly think I might go on a show like the Bachelor/ette but I don’t think I’d be all that interesting to watch, lol. I heart Chris Harrison, too. I’d probably go on just so I could be friends with him…creepy?? Maybe, a little haha

24 Kelly July 13, 2010 at 12:06 pm

That garbage bread looks AWESOME!!! If I could be on any reality show I would choose either Dancing With The Stars or The Amazing Race!

25 Andrea @ Sweet N Green July 13, 2010 at 1:36 pm

That salad is so pretty! I watched the bachelorette last night too, I’m alll for Roberto! As Allie said, love a guy in uniform ;) haha

26 Caitlin C. October 14, 2011 at 11:35 am

That bread looks SO COOL! I’ve had something like that before with pepperoni and mozz.
Caitlin C. recently posted..Three Dinners