These Banana Cupcakes with Honey Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting are lightened up slightly, but they’re so good that you may not be able to stop at just one!
Well, if you guessed BANANA cupcakes, you were right on!
These cupcakes were baked with nothing but sweat & love yesterday in my steamy kitchen. They are subtly sweet, incredibly moist, and have the perfect flavor of banana that makes you think “Mmmm, I love bananas” but not like you’re eating one whole.They’re texture is very similar to that of a muffin, with that little extra amount of denseness when comparing a muffin to a cupcake.
BUT…that’s not even the best part.
The frosting on these babies is beyond amazing. A smooth blend of cream cheese, mixed with the flavors of honey & cinnamon combined to make a delicious topper that I could easily bath in. Ok, maybe that’s extreme. How about we say I could quite easily eat it on top of anything. It’s fantastic, and you must try these!
Serves 12 cupcakes
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 med-lg sized)
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of flour mixture. In well, mix together butter, applesauce, mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Stir to incorporate flour mixture (do not overmix). Dividing evenly, spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Spread tops with Honey Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Add the honey and cinnamon, and gradually add the powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Add the milk and more powdered sugar (if needed) until you get your desired consistency.
(cupcake & frosting recipes adapted from Martha Stewart’s Banana Cupcake with Honey-Cinnamon Frosting)
I also baked ANOTHER batch of cupcakes yesterday, but I’ll save that recipe for tomorrow.
Now I’m off for a run, then getting ready for DATE NIGHT tonight with the hubby! We’re going to dinner (at a location TBD) and then to see Toy Story 3. I’m so excited!!
Question for the Afternoon:
What’s your favorite way to spend a “Date Night” with your significant other?