A Day at the Races…and a Celebrity Meeting!

by Courtney on August 2, 2010

Today could not have been a more perfect day to head up to the race track. The weather was absolutely beautiful! 8-)

Our trip into the track got off to an interesting start. We had all packed a cooler with some food and beverages to snack on throughout the day, but it turns out there’s no glass allowed inside the gates. Seriously, why did we not remember this? It was not new news to us! So we had a couple options…walk it all back to the car, leave it outside the gates, or do our best to drink up what we had.

So at 11am, it was time to crack open a couple beers! Hey, it’s 5:00 somewhere, right? ;)

The girls each managed to get one down, but the boys chugged two in about 5 minutes. Our motto: Beer does not go to waste! I had packed two of my favorite blueberry beers to enjoy during the day, so since I drank one early, I was able to pour the other one into a water bottle. Oh yeah, I was definitely rockin’ the ghetto “beer bottle.”

Once we finished the early morning chugging beverages, we headed in to attempt to get our favorite spot…and wouldn’t you know, it was totally vacant! Yessss. :)

We settled in, and around 12:30 decided it was time to break into some lunch. Jay and I still had a bunch of leftover snacks from the party, so we packed ‘em up and brought them to share.

On our way up to the track earlier, we stopped into Salad Creations to grab a couple wraps for lunch. I opted for the Boca Veggie which was green bell peppers, carrots, red onions, mushrooms, cucumbers, artichoke hearts, corn, tomatoes, chickpeas, croutons, romaine lettuce, and balsamic vinaigrette (which I got on the side). Talk about a a lot of veggies mixed into one wrap. YUM!

My plate – 1/2 of my wrap, some pasta salad, and a meatball. I also snacked on some pretzels throughout the day, too.

Finally, it was post time, and the races began! I only did a little bit of betting, thanks to the hubby contributing a little money my way to play with. Honestly, betting gets me very flustered and nervous, so after betting on 3 races and losing, I threw in the towel. That’s totally fine with me though, since I really just love going to enjoy the atmosphere.

Watching the horses prepare for the races. They’re all so beautiful to watch.

For a couple of the races, we actually walked up to the track to watch from the rail, which is always fun and definitely a lot more exciting. Even though I wasn’t betting at that point, I was definitely feeling the adrenaline of the crowd!

IMG_3665IMG_3666

IMG_3668IMG_3667

On our way back from one of the races, I ran into my friend Sam, who told me she just had a “celebrity sighting” nearby of someone that definitely got my excited. I had my eyes totally peeled, and sure enough, about 3 minutes later, I had the opportunity to meet…

BOBBY FLAY!!!!!

Oh.My.God. I was practically jumping out of my skin with excitement, yet trying to “play it cool” by saying hi and asking if he wouldn’t mind taking a picture. I feel like it took me about 5 minutes to get out what I was actually trying to say…sheesh! But he was totally cool and very friendly. I almost wanted to ask him to fire up a grill for me, although I’m guessing it probably wasn’t in his plans for the day. Either way, it was definitely the highlight of my day!!! :mrgreen:

Had I not met Mr. Flay about 10 minutes previously, I might have said that this was the highlight of my day…

I ordered myself a small cup of raspberry frozen yogurt & cookies and cream. It was fantastic. The price, not so much. But the ice cream, yes. ;)

Out of the nine races that they run for the day, we decided to call it quits after the eighth, since everyone was getting a little tired of losing. But win or lose, it was definitely a great day!

By the time we got home, I was ready to have some dinner, so I broke out the rest of my wrap and had that with some leftover carrots and celery.

The wrap got a little soggy from the cooler, but it was still tasty.

Now I’m saving room to enjoy a cupcake while watching The Bachelorette! Sarah’s coming over to watch it with me, so I’m sure it will be a fun way to end a great day!

Question for the Evening:

Have you ever met/encountered any celebrities?

A few years ago, I met Curtis Martin who used to be the running back for the Jets (and whom I absolutely LOVED) and Herm Edwards, who was the coach of the Jets at the time. I haven’t seen many, but celebrities I’ve seen up close but never “met” are Coolio (in an airport), Martha Stewart (at a taping of her show – front row!) and Chris Berman (the sportscaster, in an elevator).

1 TheBloggersBrother August 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm

It wasn’t Coolio!!!! It was Snoop Dogg!!!!

2 Courtney August 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm

WOOPS!! MY BAD!!

3 Kara @ MyWellnest August 2, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Very you cool you met Bobby Flay!

4 Nancy August 2, 2010 at 7:44 pm

You’re one stylish lady. I love your clothes.

I guess I could google this, but I have no idea who Bobby Fay is. Aww!

5 Amy August 2, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I’ve met LL Cool J (have pics of us on same flight to NY), Jenni garth from the old 90210, Steve Martin (at the Met in NY), and a few others. My husband always gets backhanded when I see someone. My natural reflex and he’s like oh s*** who is it this time?

6 Courtney August 2, 2010 at 11:44 pm

LOL!

7 It All Changes August 2, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I love Bobby Flay! I am obsessed with spanish food and his restaurants make me drool.

I used to work at Bed Bath and Beyond near Brown University so I met a lot of celebrities who came out for their reunions or who where dropping off their children. I guess BBB is a fun place to hang out :-) Danny Devito was the best. He was so funny and polite.

8 vitaminamy August 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I saw Bobby Flay today too!! Haha, he was downtown eating at Max London’s, too funny! :) I didn’t go up to him because he was eating and that would have been awkward but we did make eye contact whooo! :)

9 Courtney August 2, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Oh how cool!!!
P.S. – I SO wanted to hit up Plum Dandy while we were up in ‘toga! ;)

10 Amy @VitaminAmy August 3, 2010 at 11:24 am

Oh my gosh!! Next time you are town let me know so we can do some serious Plum Dandy damage! :)

11 erica August 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm

i’ve never met any “big time” celebrities but when i used to work in this trendy boutique at the mall, i met brooke burns (when she was filming north shore)–she was really sweet, diana degarmo from american idol…i totally didn’t realize it was her and asked to see her i.d. on her credit card transaction (oops), emilie de ravin, daniel day kim, and champ bailey when he was here for the pro bowl–he’s SO nice, aundrea from danity kane…. i hear johnny depp is here filming pirates….i think i would pass out if i saw him.

12 Autumn @ Good Eats Girl August 2, 2010 at 8:28 pm

What a fun day!!! And you got to meet Bobby Flay…that’s awesome!!

13 Lizzy @ LBBakes August 2, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Yay for meeting Bobby Flay! I’ve met him twice actually – at Saratoga and at the State Fair last year. Oh, and I love Ben and Jerry’s cookies ‘n cream :)

14 Jennifer August 2, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I love Bobby Flay! I was just watching him do his thrown down tv show yesterday with a woman who is known for her carrot cake. Oh and by the way, I am so excited to try out some of your cupcake recipes! Do you just experiment until you get the taste you want?

15 Courtney August 2, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Sometimes, yes. I’ll usually pick and choose pieces of different recipes that I like, or I’ll add in substitutions that I know would be a good fit. If it’s something I’ve never tried before, I’ll be more likely to stick to the original recipe the first time…then “Courtney-fy” it. ;)

16 Shanna, like Banana August 2, 2010 at 9:01 pm

What a fab day!!!!

I danced with Benjamin McKenzie from the O.C…haha…

17 Courtney August 2, 2010 at 11:41 pm

WOW really?!? LOVED that showww!!!

18 Shanna, like Banana August 3, 2010 at 12:13 am

Yep in LA at a club. He was very cute but soooo short!

19 Lauren (Healthy Delicious) August 2, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I met Rick Bayless a few weeks ago down at the Fancy Foods Show. Its was pretty awesome. He’s kind of shy in person, which was really endearing.

Looks like you had a great day at the track!

20 cookinfanatic August 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm

omg that is so cool, i adore bobby flay!!!!!!!!!!!!! saratoga is gorgeous, we were in upstate new york last year at this time and took a visit through there one day, i absolutely loved it :)

21 Hillary August 2, 2010 at 10:58 pm

That’s really neat you got to meet a celebrity chef. What all did you say in those ’5 minutes’? hehe.

22 Courtney August 2, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Haha, probably something like, “Hi, ummm, I’m sorry to bother you and be a pain in the butt, but umm, I love your cooking, umm, would you grill for me, umm, can I just have a picture instead?”
LOL :-P

23 Tina August 3, 2010 at 8:22 am

Aww! Looks like such a fun time! I haven’t been up to the track since college. I need to take a trip back soon!

24 BostonRunner August 3, 2010 at 8:39 am

Sounds like such a fun time! Day drinking is definitely the way to go – can’t let those beers go to waste!
That’s awesome that you got to meet a celebrity – I’ve never met one myself.

25 Tina August 3, 2010 at 9:37 am

That looks like so much fun! And how cool that you met Bobby Flay! I’ve met Paula Dean before. My aunt knows her actually. I was in high school when I met her and I didn’t even know who she was! I’m kicking myself now for not knowing better to get a picture.

26 Katie H. August 3, 2010 at 10:57 am

That is so awesome! I wish I was at the track yesterday! I love your dress btw. Uh, celebrities.. hmm, I was at a restaurant in Beverly Hills and Jeff Golblum (dude from Independence Day) walked by with a gorgeous model and stopped for paparazzi. I can’t think of anyone else offhand.

27 Kathryn August 3, 2010 at 11:02 am

I lived in Washington for a year and the town I lived in was mostly used as a get-away for Canadians. Apparently a lot of actors/actresses/producers who work in Vancouver filming tv shows have houses in this town. I met David Hewlett (Rodney McKay from Stargate Atlantis), his wife, son, and dog. Lol. They would come in to where I worked to get ice cream all the time. He’s a really cool guy.

28 krittie August 3, 2010 at 11:46 am

LOVE Bobby Flay! I am glad he was friendly-I hate finding out that my favorite celebs are jerks! Back in 2006 when I turned 21 Gregg and I took a trip to Vegas to celebrate. I saw Paris Hilton on a side stage on the street becuase she was promoting her CD-you know when she thought she was this hot-shot singer! It was terrible….. but who am I to judge? That was about the only time I saw someone famous when I didn’t intend to.

29 Healthy Coconut August 3, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I met Giada here in L.A. during her books signing, she’s my Food Network celebrity. She’s so petite, short like me.

Other celebrities, I’ve see plenty but not really met them. I’ve seen them filming in the area, show tapings and in Las Vegas often.

I like your dress because I love bold and bright prints.

30 Teri [a foodie stays fit] August 5, 2010 at 8:32 am

OMG!!!!!!! I can’t believe you met Bobby Flay! That’s awesome!!! I don’t think I’ve ever met any celebrities but I’ve had plenty of sightings at Sundance when I lived in Utah – Colin Farrell, Paris Hilton (ick!), Reggie Bush, Kim Kardashian, Magic Johnson. Colin and Kim are both as beautiful in real life as on camera. :)

Love your dress too!