Beware of Coupons

by Courtney on August 10, 2010

This afternoon while out running errands I decided I needed an iced coffee. Surprised? No, me either. Luckily, I found one of these to use out of our Entertainment Book, so I figured hey, free coffee? Why not?

I ordered a non-fat, sugar-free vanilla iced coffee.

After one sip, I think I probably made a face comparable to this:

source

Just like drinking pure syrup through a straw…so into the garbage it went

Then I went and negated the “free” aspect of it all and got a new iced coffee…

…and ended up with a face much more like this:

source

And my afternoon was complete.

Dinner

Tonight we had a softball game, which concluded with a victory cookout, as always. ;)

The grill was nice and full tonight! Can you guess which item was mine???

If you guess the veggie burger, you guessed right! Sometimes, when I know there aren’t going to be too many healthy options, I take the situation into my own hands and bring my own. This way, I still felt like I could enjoy the cookout, without depriving myself. It just takes a little extra planning. ;)

I had my Morningstar Farms veggie burger on a potato bun with a little ketchup & mustard. It was super yum. I also snacked on some pretzels that were there too.

Then, Mom brought out the big guns. It appeared as though somebody spent a little extra time in the kitchen today! She whipped up a batch of brownies, but oh no, these were not just any ordinary brownies. These were Snickers Brownies.

Oh yes. Warm, gooey, fudgy, Snickers-filled brownies. Complete with chunks of caramel, nougat, and peanuts. I had one…then I had another…then somehow, half of another one ended up in my mouth. And if I didn’t cover the pan back up promptly, it’s quite possible the pan would have been demolished. :shock: They were amazing. Thanks, Mom! :-P

I have a FULL “To-Do” list on my hands for tomorrow to try to get ready before leaving on Thursday!!

Question for the Night:

Do you ever use coupons to try new foods or beverages?

1 Shanna, like Banana August 10, 2010 at 10:56 pm

I love veggie burgers on the grill..makes me want one right now in fact ;)

And why yes, yes I do use coupons. Some lovely lady gave me Chobani coupons and I have used them all! :)

2 Courtney August 10, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Hahaha! WOOT WOOT! :-D

3 Dorry August 10, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I love to take advantage of coupons when I come across them! I do the same thing at cookouts, etc – I typically bring something to add to the grill for myself – veggie burgers or portabella mushrooms :)

4 Megan August 11, 2010 at 7:56 am

Veggie burger + ooey gooey brownie- = perfect cookout food!! And that stinks about the syrupy coffee… hate when they do that!

5 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices August 11, 2010 at 10:00 am

I was wondering about that coffee- their hot coffee is actually pretty good, but I just drink it black.
And LOVIN’ those snickers brownies!
I ALWAYS use coupons- love them. Free money- woop woop

6 Chicago Cuisine Critique August 11, 2010 at 10:32 am

Yum to the brownies. What a fabulous combination. And coupons are awesome, but I won’t just try anything..it has to be something that peaks my interest. :)

7 Jen @ Jen is Green August 11, 2010 at 10:50 am

I love coupons too…but maybe there’s a reason why that coffee was free….haha

8 lisaou11 August 11, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Im still drooling over those brownies that I cant even think of what you said!

and yes–I use coupons sometimes! if its free, may as well try it

9 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 11, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I wonder if they goofed up on making that first drink and put in wayyy too much syrup or something? Hmm..oh well, glad you found something that worked after!

I always use coupons to try new foods! Nothing better than trying new things and saving money while doing so :D

10 MaryBeth Ketzer August 11, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I really enjoy your blog!!! Thank you!!! I love coupons and I definitely use them to try new products. I would have never tried Viva papertowels if I didn’t have a coupon for it- now that’s all I buy. Love saving money!

11 Courtney August 11, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Thanks Mare! :)

12 christina August 11, 2010 at 4:31 pm

ahh that stinks about the drinks. I LOVE COUPONS!! omg i use them all the time. i’m like a coupon lady. too bad they’re thrown all over my purse.

13 It All Changes August 11, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I use them only if it is something I would normally try anyway. I don’t like the disgusted face if something isn’t good.