A Shaky Start…

by Courtney on August 12, 2010

Well my friends, let me tell you, it has been QUITE a day!

Luckily, things started off pretty smoothly with our drive from Albany over to Hartford, CT. Jay and I got to chat along the way and watch the sun rise, which came along with the prettiest colored pink sky.

I laughed to myself when Jay brought up the saying, “Red……….” but I guess the same holds true for travelers…

I got to the airport in CT with no problems, and even had time to spare with checking in. However, my trip through security brought about roadblock #1. You see, I thought I had done really well with my packing, making sure that all liquids were the correct size, stored correctly, etc… Well apparently, I wasn’t thinking that hair products were included in that (DUH) and I had them in my carry-on. Before I knew it, BOOM, confiscated. Looks like somebody just made out with a brand new bottle of Redken hairspray and foam mousse. Hey Mom, looks like I’m going to need another one of those when I get back! :oops:

I shook it off, realizing things could have been a lot worse, and decided to get myself settled with some breakfast. I made a pit-stop at Dunkin’ Donuts, ordering a veggie egg white flatbread sandwich, along with a toasted almond flavored iced coffee. It was my first time trying the toasted almond flavor and I must say, I am definitely a fan! :)

After boarding my plane, on came along roadblock #2. Our flight, which was due to connect in Baltimore, was delayed due to storms. Ok, no prob, we’ll just sit it out for a few extra minutes. Then the pilot announced that the Baltimore airport was shut down. Then I panicked. Then I realized I’d already been sitting on the plane for 35 minutes…

Finally, we were in the air, 45 minutes behind schedule. By the time we got into Baltimore, my connecting flight was long gone…roadblock #3. And after talking with the women at the counter, (who were incredibly rude by the way!) I was basically told that since my tickets were “Standby” passes, I was lowest on the priority list and it would be highly unlikely that I would leave on a Southwest flight today. Roadblock #4…awesome.

Following a mini breakdown in the middle of the Baltimore airport and a handful of calls to Jay, we figured that my best bet would be to just buy a ticket on another airline. At first I was angry, but then I just said “screw it” – I wanted OUT!

So I bought my ticket to Chicago and hopped onto another airline…which I then found out only flew into O’Hare Airport. My checked luggage was on its way to Midway Airport. Roadblock #6. Another mini-meltdown ensued. Followed by more phone calls. Which finally led to a game plan, thanks to Jay. A little research determined that a shuttle ride from one airport to the other would be my best bet, so that was the plan. Once I was finally able to sit down and take a breath, it was already 12:00 (a full hour after I should have already been in Chicago) and I realized I was hungry.

I snacked on about a gazillion handfuls of Vanilla Goldfish Grahams…

…and a Banana Streusel muffin that I packed for myself.

Finally, I was Chicago-bound!

To give you the short version of the rest of my day…

• Arrived in Chicago after sitting between a man was nauseating B.O. and a woman who was constantly sneezing and blowing her nose.
  • Enjoyed a Sprite Zero, because it kept my nose out of other nauseating smells…

• Went to grab the shuttle that Jay arranged for me…after waiting an extra 20 minutes and calling, turns out the driver got a FLAT TIRE and was not coming to for pick up.
  • Attempted another shuttle and missed it by 5 minutes.
  • Rode on the “L” train for my first time solo…sat surrounded by a guy who had no idea about “personal space” and a group of young teenagers bragging about their latest theft binge…
  • Took the train back to Midway from O’Hare to get my luggage that was left.
  • Picked up a hommus plate from Starbucks because I was absolutely FAMISHED…

• Finally met up with Hillary at Midway, got back on the “L” and headed to the hotel.
  • Just finished getting ready, and now we’re off to a par-taryyyy!

Thanks for reading about my horrific travel day. Let’s hope for smooth sailin’ from here on out! :-D

1 Amy August 12, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Oh my gosh u poor thing. Glad u arrived safely and get some rest and take care of you!!! You dererve it

2 ellaroo88 August 12, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Oh I’m so sorry you had a hard trip. I wish you had liked the L, I love the L! You’ll have to give it another try- I promise it’s awesome- it’s easy and fun to take from place to place

3 Lizzy @ LBBakes August 12, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Oh my gosh!!!! Thank goodness you made it there in one day after all those issues. Have fun, you obviously deserve it. :)

4 Shanna, like Banana August 12, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Oh no you poor thing! That is a Bad day but you made it through and will soon be having fun with all those bloggies. Hugs :)

5 peanutbutterfingers August 12, 2010 at 9:19 pm

eek! at least it’s only uphill from here!!!

6 Lindsay August 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I am so sorry to hear about the bad trip. I hope it gets better from here on out. Chicago is an amazing city and I hope that all of the bloggers get a chance to see it for its beauty!! :)

7 Lauren August 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Wow, that is a horrible day! I can see why some people loathe flying so much haha! It seems things are turning up, though! Enjoy your stay in our awesome (albeit HOT) city!

8 Gigi August 12, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Wow!! Sounds like a story line from a movie! lol Glad you got there ok, and hope you enjoy HLS! :)

9 preparationmeetingopportunity August 13, 2010 at 12:37 am

Awww! I’m sad that you had such a hard time getting to my hood. I hope things are smooth sailing from here on out! <3's

10 erica August 13, 2010 at 6:02 am

omg! sorry about all the bad experiences…especially while traveling alone! i would’ve freaked out and cried. hope everything from here on out is absolutely fabulous!

11 Jen is Green August 13, 2010 at 8:19 am

OMG that sounds awful…figures that would happen. but at least you made it there safely! :-) have funnn!

12 CK August 13, 2010 at 8:48 am

Aww…. sorry to hear about your bad day! We’ve all been there. Unfortunately for my hubby and I, our bad travel day was the start of our honeymoon. Late out of albany due to ice on the wings, ran our butts off and missed our connecting flight by *this much*. Rerouted on another plane to a different airport. Cab ride to original airport to collect luggage and GASP, one bag was lost. Couldn’t wait for it, had to get on the cruise… It was delivered to us midweek at one of the ports, but still, that started our honeymoon off with a bang.

13 Courtney August 13, 2010 at 10:04 am

Oh good lord! That’s awful!!! :(

14 Stephanie August 13, 2010 at 8:58 am

oh my goodness girl, that does sound like a long day! so glad it all worked out for you somehow though :)

i didn’t realize you were from albany – my boyfriend’s entire 800 person Italian family lives there as well – we visited last summer and i think are going back up there soon!

15 Courtney August 13, 2010 at 10:03 am

Oh no way! Let me know if and when you’re coming back to Albany!!!

16 cardiopizza August 13, 2010 at 9:20 am

wow, what a day! I hope things look up from here on out! Glad you made it safely though :)

17 Tiffany August 13, 2010 at 10:12 am

That is quite possibly the most horrible traveling story I have ever heard! I’m glad you at least made it safely and will have an awesome weekend ahead of you :)

18 Brynn August 13, 2010 at 10:16 am

Oh my gosh, you poor thing! What a terrible day. I’m cringing as I’m reading the post. Good for you navigating your way through airports, train stations and new cities! Glad you finally made it!

19 lisaou11 August 13, 2010 at 10:44 am

Travelling is SUCH a pain sometimes Glad oyu made it–now have fun today!

20 Megan August 13, 2010 at 10:52 am

Yikes, you really did have a long day! I’m glad you made it in one piece- it was so nice meeting you last night! :)

21 Chicago Cuisine Critique August 13, 2010 at 11:06 am

Aw, that sounds terrible. Sometimes airlines are not fun! I’m glad you are finally able to enjoy it! I hope the rest of your time in Chicago is a bit less stressful. Enjoy yourself! :)

22 Laura J. August 13, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Oh my word girl!! What a crazy experience! If that had happened to me I’m pretty sure I’d still be in the CT airport curled up in the fetal position in some corner of the airport. I haaate having to fly alone. It must feel so great to finally be in Chicago tho!! Have a great time! And hopefully the flight back is totally uneventful! :)

23 It All Changes August 13, 2010 at 3:03 pm

You poor thing. SO glad you finally made it. I know the Summit will be worth the trouble. Consider it an adventure :-)

24 Kara @ MyWellnest August 13, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Wow, that’s terrible :(

I’m glad you made it to Chicago finally! Have a blast, you earned it!

25 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 18, 2011 at 8:59 am

OH NOOOOOOOO!!!! ….Glad you are driving this year! That sounds like a MESS to say the least!!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..California- Day 2 (part 1)