A New Love Affair…With Indian Food

by Courtney on August 15, 2010

What rock have I been sitting under for all 26 years of my life? Seriously, why have I never tried Indian food????

I think I’m in LOVE!

Last night after the HLS sessions officially ended, a group of us met up and headed to the Chicago Curry House for a late dinner.

I was so glad that Gina decided to organize such a great dinner! Thanks, Gina! :-D We had a group of about 20 or so people, and I was very much relieved to find out that I was not the only “Indian Food Virgin” at the table. ;) I’d heard before that Indian food can definitely have a little “kick” to it, so I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous! :shock:

To start the night off, Gina, Paige & I split a bottle of Riesling.

It was fantastically delicious.

Then the table was given some pappadum & some dipping sauces to start.

I have no idea what each of them was called, but I do know that the green one was spicy, the brown-ish colored ones were sweet (my fave) and the other was apparently super salty, which I did not try.

The group decided to order a few of the dishes “family-style” to share, but others were also welcomed to order their own entrees. Since, I had some new horizons to explore here, I decided to dabble in a little bit of both. :)

A few veggie appetizers to start:

I tried a piece of fried cheese, along with a dumpling of sorts, which Sana explained were filled with potatoes and peas.

The dumpling was a little too spicy for me, so Sana gladly took care of finishing it for me. ;)

The table also ordered an Channa Masala (phenomenal),

a baigan bhartha (spicy, but totally yummy),

some white rice,

naan, and roti.

IMG_4116IMG_4123

One thing that I knew I could take away so far from this meal? Naan should be a food group all of its own. HOLY YUM-O!! This stuff is flippin’ fantastic!

And since I wanted to try as many new things as possible, I also decided to split an entree off the menu with Kristi. Again, with the help of Sana & Gina, they recommended I try the Butter Chicken…

…and my love for Indian food grew deeper.

The chicken in this dish was very tender, almost shredded. But I think even more than that, I loved how much extra sauce there was to be able to dip my naan in. The sauce was thick and creamy, with a delicious tomato & buttery flavor. It was a bit spicy at times, but luckily the extra naan helped to cool things down a bit. ;)

Paige, Sana, Me, Gina, & Kristi

At the end of our dinner, a big bag full of treats magically appeared, courtesy of Lin! She had made some of her delicious Vegan brownies to share with us. How sweet is she?!? I think we all immediately dug into our treats…apparently I’m not the only one with a sweet tooth after dinner? ;)

One of my first missions when I get home: FIND A DELICIOUS, LOCAL INDIAN RESTAURANT!!

*To my locals: Do any of you happen to know of a good one nearby??? :-D

1 Judy August 15, 2010 at 6:42 pm

It totally looks yumm-o! :)
Oh btw Courtney, you totally rock every outfit you appear in!
Haha I want in on the secret! :D

2 Courtney August 15, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Haha, thank you! No secret here, just go with your gut!

3 Jen August 15, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Indian restaurant recommendation for you!! Try Karavalli in Latham. Here is their website – The nan is AMAZING of course :) I recommend the Chicken Makmura (Roasted chicken, raisins, bay leaf, cashew sauce) It is not at all spicy and plenty of sauce for nan :) They have a couple other locations as well. http://www.karavallilatham.com/

I have been to Zaika in Clifton Park – food is very good but service was quite bad. Stick with Karavalli!

4 Courtney August 15, 2010 at 7:51 pm

AWESOME!!! I knew somebody local would help me out…thanks Jen! :)

5 Jen August 15, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Welcome! Let me know how you like it!

6 Danielle August 15, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I somehow stumbled upon your blog and I’m not sure where you live exactly but Shalimar – goshalimar.com is in Delmar & Clifton Park. They have an AMAZING lunch buffet everyday so I would highly recommend doing that it’s about $8 per person and such great food. Would be ideal since you are a semi Indian food virgin.

7 Courtney August 15, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Yumm! Both of those are definitely close by…thanks for the recommendations! :)

8 Cynthia (It All Changes) August 15, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Indian food is sooooo AMAZING!!!

I love naan as a way to make mini pizzas. They are the perfect base :-)

9 Hillary August 15, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Your outfit is A-dorable!

10 Jen is Green August 15, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Courtney you have to try Aashiana on Washington Ave. They have indian buffet for lunch on weekdays and dinner on friday nights for only $10. it is amazing!!!! I had it for the first time in a long time last month and I loved it. esp. their naan!!!

11 Becky August 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Sitar on Central Ave is great!!! Here’s the website :) http://www.sitarindianrestaurant.com/

12 Kerry August 16, 2010 at 2:46 am

Oo i love a good curry! That looks amazing! Especially the naan, mm! You look so cute as always! :)

13 CK August 16, 2010 at 8:48 am

Sitar on Central Ave is good (go at lunch, prices are better) and Ghandi’s (http://www.zuluma.com/gandhi/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=58) on corner of Lark and Washington. They have a nice buffet at lunch as well. Chana Saag is my favorite (curry, cheese, chickpeas, spinach). I mix it with rice and scoop it up on the naan. Tandoori Chicken and Chicken Tikka is great as well. Welcome to the dark side! ;)

14 Courtney August 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Hahaha, awesome! Thanks for the recommendations. :)

15 Sara August 16, 2010 at 11:30 am

I just stumbled across your blog and apparently I have good timing. I lived in Albany for 3 years for law school, now I’m north of Albany up near Saratoga. There’s an indian place right in albany, on the corner of Madison and Lark St. I can’t think of the name but they have a lunch buffet, they have it on weekends too I think, and its great! Its a good way to try.a bunch of different foods.

I’m glad I found your blog, I love reading local healthy living bloggers!

16 Courtney August 16, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Ohhhh awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing, I’ll definitely have to look into it.

17 gina (fitnessista) August 16, 2010 at 11:49 am

hey girl! thanks again for indian feasting with us… and for coming to see our creepy ghost room! hahaha
i had so much fun hanging out this weekend. it was so great to finally meet you! hope to see you again sometime soon <3
xoxo

18 Courtney August 16, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Ahhhh Indian Feast! I can’t wait for my next one…thank you so much for organizing it! It was so great meeting you too, hopefully again soon!

19 vitaminamy August 16, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I’m a little late on this post but I really love Little India in Saratoga! :)