The Customizable Dinner Bowl

by Courtney on August 17, 2010

Thank you to everyone who offered up some tips and advice on dealing with stress. I know things could absolutely be worse, so I’m trying my best to keep a positive attitude about it all. Besides, I am going to VEGAS…that is definitely something to be excited about!! :-D

But, that doesn’t mean I still didn’t need one of these while prepping dinner. ;)

Vino!

I was also lucky enough to have some company in the kitchen tonight…

Don’t worry Mom, everything will be ok!…Alright, now where’s my treats?”

A few minutes later, I turned around him to find him after none else than my SWAG BAG!! At least I know he’s got good taste!

C’mon Mom, just a little bite of the Glo Bar? No? How about some Pop Chips?”

IMG_4208 IMG_4209

Dinner

Finally, a home cooked dinner! :-D The main ingredient tonight was in the form of chicken sausage:

I picked up a package of this Bilinski’s Spinach & Feta chicken sausage a couple weeks ago, and it’s been waiting very patiently in the freezer for me.

Yummmm!

To make the main course, I simply cooked up some Ronzoni Garden Delight pasta, while roasting some zucchini, yellow squash, & cauliflower in the oven. I mixed it all up with the sliced chicken sausage, a little roasted red pepper vinaigrette, and some fat-free Athenos feta.

It was amazingly delicious and super easy to make. The best part, is that’ it’s really totally customizable to what you like.

You need:

• A pasta/grain choice (whole wheat pasta, veggie pasta, wheatberries, brown rice, etc.)
  • A protein choice (chicken sausage, chicken, tofu, shrimp, etc.)
  • Some veggie choices (roasted, grilled, sautéed, etc.)
  • A dressing/sauce (red sauce, vinaigrette, garlic & oil, creamy, etc.)
  • A cheese choice, if you want (feta, parmesan, goat, etc.)

The possibilities are virtually endless. No lengthy recipes required here…just go with what you’re craving!

Now if I could only figure out a way to make it with about half the amount of pots/pans/dishes I used… ;)

Question for the Night:

Do you have a favorite “go-to” dinner meal?

1 Shanna, like Banana August 17, 2010 at 8:45 pm

LOVE that you are havin’ a glass of vino — good for you, you deserve it :) :)

Our dinners look very similar…I’m making Trader Joes spinach and fontina chicken sausage as I type!

2 Courtney August 17, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Nice! With a glass of vino?!? ;)

3 Shanna, like Banana August 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Of course! :)

4 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices August 17, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Wine always makes a bad day better…ALWAYS :D
And, I LOVE that chicken sausage as well- tried it a few months back & found it soooo good. I was pleasantly surprised.
SO EXCITED for you for your trip to Vegas- will be a blast!

5 Duchess of Fork August 17, 2010 at 9:29 pm

We make ground chicken or turkey taco salads a lot! They’re super easy and we love Mexican food at our house. Definitely a go-to dinner.

6 christina August 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm

love the colorful dish. spinach and feta chicken sausage sounds good. i’ve been eating chicken sausage by al fresco. some flavors are really good and others…not so much.

7 Liz @ Blog is the New Black August 17, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Dinner looks so good! I’ll have to try those sausages!

8 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 18, 2010 at 12:17 am

fail proof dinner options that never let me down! i love this! looks super tasty and quick (the way it should be) xoxo

9 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 18, 2010 at 8:04 am

My go to meal is a peanut butter sandwich or cereal. I’m such a kid! Hope you’re feeling less stressed today love :)

10 Jess August 18, 2010 at 9:36 am

OMG that dinner looks freakin’ delicious!!! I must put that on my list to try immediately!

11 Chicago Cuisine Critique August 18, 2010 at 10:03 am

Those sausages sound awesome!!!

12 Jessica@tastyandtrim August 18, 2010 at 11:47 am

My go-to meal is a huge salad filled with everything I have in the fridge. Big, filling, and it helps me clear out the produce that is on its last leg :)

13 spabettie August 18, 2010 at 2:04 pm

KITTIE IN THE SWAH BAG !! totally cute – the photo on the left looks like he’s looking around, checkin’ the swag… :)

the title of this is what got me – I love anything BOWL ! :) this looks really delicious, and you’re right – totally customizable !

YUM