Jeggings: A “Do” Or A “Don’t”??

Happy Fashion Friday!!

Alright folks, let’s talk trends. There’s a new one on the horizon, and although celebs have been sporting it for over a year now, it appears as though its picking up popularity everywhere. Fast.

Combining the sleek silhouette of skinny jeans with the comfy stretch of cotton leggings, “Jeggings” are beginning to sprout up everywhere. Fahionistas such as Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Sienna Miller, & Whitney Port have all been seen sporting the look.

source, source, source, source

So, you think you’re ready to jump on the bandwagon?

Give ‘em a try for cheap: Wal-Mart has a pair for only $12.00!

You can also find them for a good price at stores like Kohl’s:

Or you could make a real investment, like with this pair by Paige Premium Denim:

“Ok, I’m ready to try them out…but how do I wear them?”

Jeggings really can work for any body shape, and any age; it’s just all in how you style the outfit.

Here’s a few tips for a classic, yet stylish “jegging” look:

• Balance with bulk on top. This will make the legs appear thinner, by balancing out the thin bottom silhouette with more fabric on top.
  • Accentuate your waist with a belt. It helps break up the fabric, while also showcasing your curves.
  • Try knee-high boots. This is great for someone who still isn’t totally comfortable sporting the whole “look” since the boots help break up the bottom half.
  • LAYER, LAYER, LAYER. Think tanks, more tanks, finished off with a fitted blazer. Totally classic.
  • Always cover the waistband with fabric. Since they’re usually elastic, you’re not going to want to be flashing that off.
  • Keep the intensity up top. A simple pair of jeggings will look great with a fun top, extra accessories, or extra layers.

I, personally, have yet to jump the bandwagon and do not yet own a pair of jeggings. I want to physically try on a pair before I decide for myself whether they’re a “DO” or a “DON’T”. So, let’s see what YOU guys think:

What’s YOUR take on the jeggings trend? Are they a “DO” or a “DON’T”??

1. Britt says

It’s weird, I love leggings with oversized tops/sweaters, but I tried this on once and just wasn’t comfortable in them…I have no idea why, I just find them odd. So for me-personally, they’re a don’t.

I have a couple pairs of jeggings and I love them! I’m not big into jeans unless they are stretch because I love to feel comfortable. Jeggings are great because they look like denim jeans but have the comfort of leggings :)

Cute post as always lovely lady.

I HAVE jumped on the jeggings bandwagon. I have two pair: one from NY&Co and one from Alloy. I might wear them tomorrow and if I do, I’ll feature them on Shoes-day Tuesday.

You’d rock ’em girl!

I have several pairs (I think 3). I bought my first pair last winter to wair with my boots because I was tired of my skinny jeans kind of bunching around the ankles inside my boots. I LOVE them. I don’t think they’re quite as comfortable as cotton leggings, but they’re great!

I always wear leggings. My favorite way to wear them is with an over-sized tank top or big shirt. I think I got all of mine from target!

Don’t don’t don’t don’t!!! hahah

I’m ok with skinny jeans, but I have too much leg muscle/fat/butt to make them look even remotely cute. I can’t imagine what jeggings would do to my self-esteem haha.

So, I avoid it. Plus, denim leggings are creepy anyways.

The jeggings trend is alright if used correctly. It isn’t my favorite trend, but I do actually have a pair. I just don’t like when you can see the dimples of someones cellulite through them. That is when they can go wrong.

one of my best friends has jeggings…and i love her to death and she’s 100% beautiful all the time, but i don’t love the jeggings. good luck with ’em :)

yep I’m with heather, not sure I can jump on the jeggings bandwagon. They remind me of being a kid in the early 90’s. . . . I really don’t want to go back to those days with big bows and so on

I don’t think i could wear them, but I mean… they are like skinny jeans. I don’t like wearing skinny jeans, but some ppl love the look.

I have the dark blue joe’s jeans ones from last fall. They’re only 80 bucks and super comfy. Although I tried on the ripped style ones and hated them. Don’t buy the ripped ones because any ounce of fat on your thighs sticks out and it’s not a good look at all.

I am so glad that you did this post! I actually read it last night and I have been thinking about buying some. So today I was in Target to get a birthday card and I “happened” to walk in the clothes section and on a clearance rack was a pair of jeggings on sale for $8!!! They were my size and fit perfectly. So thanks for reminding me to look for them.

13. Sarah Lynn says

a DON’T for sure! I bought a pair, tried them on with everything I owned, nothing looked right – so I returned them. I hate them a little bit, maybe I’m just jealous b/c they didn’t work for me.

But if you like them, and feel confident wearing them, then by all means, go for it.

FYI, just because some celebs wear them doesn’t mean they’re cool or stylish. Their celebs! They do what they want : P

14. Mandee says

You have to get a nice dark wash or else it does look too 80s. On a whim, I tried on a few pairs at Kohls of all places and loved all of them! I bought two pairs from the “Lauren Conrad” line and got SO many compliments on them. Dark wash with zippers on the ankles with a heavier denim fabric than most jeggings. And for once, the inseam fit perfectly (super short legs). I swear, over the past few years, Ive noticed that I get the most complimets on an outfit when I wear something random from KOHLS! I’m done spending $$$ at Nordstroms haha (yeah right).

Definately a don’t! And speaking as someone who sees hundreds of girls a day wearing them – I know what I’m talking about. So few people can get away with wearing them, and for some reason people who are, well generously preportioned is a nice way to put it, love them! I’m not a fan of leggings and jeggings myself, especially with a normal length top and a serious VPL which is how the majority of teenagers seem to wear them!

But hey that’s my opinion, get the styling right and I’m sure they’d look fine – but I’ve yet to see a significant amount of people getting the look right.

I do like jeggings with boots. I don’t think I’d ever wear them without boots, though. I don’t think they’re that cute with flats, etc. I look at them more as a necessity to go comfortably inside boots.

17. jessssie says

i think jeggings can look really good, but only on the right body type. you have to be careful they don’t look too tight – unflattering lumps and bumps on show are not cool. Always wear something long and chunky on top to balance, then i reckon they look great. everyone should try for themselves – no one can say if they’re gonna suit you.