Birthday Barbecues Rock!

by Courtney on August 21, 2010

Today was another perfect day for a backyard barbecue! :)

Jay and I headed over to his parents’ house earlier this evening to help celebrate his Mom’s birthday.

Happy Birthday Rosemary!!

There were plenty of snacks to help ourselves to while sitting and chatting, including these delicious sweet potato chips.

Ohh good lord…these things were trouble! And unfortunately, they were right within my reach…OOF. :oops:

Jay’s Uncle Pete also made brought a fantastic “bruschetta-esque” appetizer which was fantastic. Pete was pretty modest about his talents, but I really think he’s onto something!Ya here that Pete?!? Just don’t forget about the pesto!” ;)

IMG_4280IMG_4281

With all of the tempting, yummy snacks on hand, I was a little nervous about my appetite being able to make a return by the time dinner was ready. Fortunately, once the aroma of the charcoal grill came wafting my way, I knew I was good to go.

Charcoal Grilled Chicken…Summer.

Fresh Corn on the Cob…Summer.

Homemade Salad (courtesy of “yours truly”)…Summer. ;)

Lots of colorful veggies + grilled chicken is always an A+ in my book!

Eventually, it was time to find out whether or not the rumors were true…

And sure enough, they did not disappoint! The only difference was that this time, it was an “Ice Cream Pie” rather than a “cake.”

The horrible picture really doesn’t do the pie justice, but it was a decadent, brownie bottom layer, filled with a chocolate/vanilla swirl ice cream filling, topped with whipped cream frosting.

With my rampant sweet tooth, you’d think that I would have been going “Ga-Ga” for this baby. However, chocolate ice cream has never been my favorite. Is that weird? Even plain chocolate bars I will take a pass on…chocolate bars have got to have some “pizazz” for me. Pair it with peanut butter, caramel, raspberry, nougat…oh geez, “Somebody, quick! I need a piece of candy, STAT!” :shock:

Yikes! A little off track there…so ANYWAYS, the chocolate ice cream was a little too much for me, so I ended up eating all of the brownie, and the whipped cream, and leaving a good amount of the ice cream.

All in all, it was a good evening, with great company. :)

Jay and I have a full day ahead of us tomorrow, so it’s time to hit the hay for the night!

Question for the Night:

What is your favorite way to eat CHOCOLATE???

1 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Favorite way to eat chocolate!? You’ve got to be kidding, Court : ) ANY way! I love it plain ‘n’ dark by the bar.

2 Courtney August 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Hahaha…I want to see how creative we all are with our chocolate. ;)

3 Sana August 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm

I am a sucker for annnnything sweet :) But I agree with you- chocolate ice cream is sometimes too much for me. Just like cake icing.

4 Courtney August 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Yes, I’m totally with you on the icing thing, too!

5 Jessica@tastyandtrim August 21, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I love chocolate any way! But I especially love it when it gets gooey in baked goods like cookies and brownies!

6 Amy August 22, 2010 at 8:42 am

I’m with you on that one, thats my fav too

7 kbwood August 22, 2010 at 1:05 am

i LOVE bbqs!!! they rock. so much fun in the summer! you got me wanting some cake- i LOVE cookie cake!

8 ellaroo88 August 22, 2010 at 11:47 am

chocolate chip cookies- mmmmm. . . I tried Jenna’s recipe from Eat Live Run for browned butter cookies! Holly Molly- and they were good even days latter. I think thats the sign of a good cookie, when it rocks cold

9 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices August 22, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Ice Cream Pie?! Delish :D
I like all of the layers in it.
I actually am not that big of a fan of chocolate..I know, I’m weird ;)..but I would prefer strawberry or vanilla bean. The best way to eat chocolate though, is with peanut butter :) haha!

10 thewhatkateateblog August 22, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Straight up chocolate. No other ingredients necessary!

11 Kate@andwhenshesays August 22, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I am with you on the chocolate! It needs to have a little more sumthin sumthin. No chocolate ice cream OR cake for me. But BROWNIES – can’t tell you how many of my bday celebrations centered around THAT instead! The dessert sounds heavenly!