It Just Didn’t Compare

by Courtney on August 28, 2010

I was SO HAPPY to be home in my own bed, with my own bathroom, with my little Cody last night. :) As much as I love going away on vacation, it’s always so nice to be back to the coziness of my own home.

And apparently, it was cozy enough to end up sleeping until 11am this morning! :shock: I guess I definitely had some sleep to catch up on!

Once I was up, I made my way into the kitchen, only to find an empty fridge (or a fridge just full of condiments)…

…and an empty fruit basket. :(

Hate when that happens! After searching around the pantry, I came across a box of Krusteaz Fat-Free Blueberry Muffin mix, so I decided to whip up a batch of those to incorporate with breakfast. And while I did the baking, my favorite hubby went out to get us some iced coffee…because we’re out of that to. :oops:

Blueberry muffin spread with a little I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Light.

A plain Chobani flavored with a little honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/2 of another muffin (the other half was consumed while taking photos) ;)

Check out that kitchen table! If ya think that looks like nice and messy, you should see our living room floor. ;)

Today’s breakfast was good, considering what we had to work with, but it definitely doesn’t compare to the breakfast we had yesterday. :shock:

Before saying our good-byes to Vegas, Jay and I took a cab up to Treasure Island for a breakfast date. We had been eating breakfast at the same cafe in our hotel all week, and the eggs + toast combo was getting a little old for both of us. This trip brought us to a little big cafe called The Coffee Shop.

As usual, breakfast started with the necessities: coffee + skim milk.

And then heaven was delivered to me…on a plate…in the form of pancakes.

These were not just any pancakes. They were Banana & Caramelized Almond Pancakes. Oh good lord. They were to die for! I thought the bananas and almonds were only going to be on top, but they were actually baked right into the pancakes, so every bite delivered a little morsel of gooey banana, and crunchy, sweet almonds.

I could not stop eating them. Jay actually looked at me a couple times like, “Really? You’re still eating them?” but they were just that good. I probably consumed about 2/3 of them before calling it quits; but I secretly wished I could have taken the rest in a doggie bag with me. ;) They definitely gave my beloved Oatmeal Red Raspberry Pancakes a run for their money!

The rest of today involves lots of laundry, some yard work, some grocery shopping, and a baseball game tonight with family and friends. :) I was really craving a good, sweaty workout today, but since I can’t run, and can barely walk, I’m not quite sure if it’s in the cards. I’m thinking I might try some yoga?

Question for the Day:

Any ideas for workouts I can try with an injured foot? I can’t put much pressure on it right now…

1 Sana August 28, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Swimming? But you will feel soo much better after a few days of rest!

2 Amy @ Second City Randomness August 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I love taking trips- but yes, the first day back is always wonderful! :)

Good luck with the foot… I agree with the swimming if you have a pool you can take advantage of!

3 Jen is Green August 28, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I think I may have missed your earlier post..but what happened to your foot?!

4 Courtney August 29, 2010 at 10:10 am

I’m not quite sure exactly what I did to it yet, but I injured it while “chicken fighting” out in Vegas… :oops:

5 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 28, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Ahhh, those pancakes sound to die for!! I should try to recreate them at home – mmmm!!

6 Jessica@tastyandtrim August 28, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Those pancakes look insanely good! I rolled my ankle in the past and was able to do the elliptical and just not put too much pressure on it. Or else I would recommend pilates if the elliptical puts too much stress on it. I hope it feels better soon!

7 Tehsina August 29, 2010 at 12:38 am

Omg those pancakes look delish!

I injured my right hip flexor a couple months back. I mainly did push ups, dips, crunches and a variety of free weight/machine exercises, which mainly involved my upper body. By moving quickly enough between sets, you can achieve a cardio work out as well as a strength training work out.

Hope you feel better!

8 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice August 29, 2010 at 9:59 am

I think you should just rest up for now. You don’t want to put pressure on it when you are not supposed to.

Those pancakes look amazing!

9 Katie (Sweets and Veggies) August 29, 2010 at 4:14 pm

That coffee shop looks so cute! And those pancakes look awesome! I had waffles this morning, hehe!
And as for working out goes, I would maybe try to just rest for a little bit. It never hurts to take it easy sometimes

10 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 30, 2010 at 8:00 am

Coming home from vacation is kind of a let down and a relief at the same time, isn’t it? What about swimming for a workout?

11 Courtney August 30, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Yes, hoping to give that a try this week – especially since it’s so HOT!

12 Angela September 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Hi Courtney,

Where is your fruit basket from? I love it!

13 Courtney September 2, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I have to think about that…I believe it found it somewhere randomly online because I was having trouble finding a decent one in the stores. Sorry I don’t have more info! :(