Dear Pumpkin…

by Courtney on September 3, 2010

Oh Dear Pumpkin,

I know you’ve been sitting so patiently in that lazy susan, just waiting for a little attention.

Don’t you worry. Even though it’s been a while since we last met, it doesn’t mean that I have thought of you any less. But now, after long months of waiting, it is now time for us to reunite. Because if I wait any longer, I may go crazy and eat your whole can at once. And that would not be good. So let’s make a go for it…

Love, Courtney

They’re BAAAAACK!! PUMPKIN OATS! :mrgreen:

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • HEAPING 1/3 cup pumpkin
  • Golden raisins
  • Cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice

Topped off with:

Absolutely divine. Totally worth the wait.

I think today may have to be the day that I finally stop at Starbucks to get my Pumpkin Spiced Latte…might as well keep the pumpkin trend going! Besides, it is Coffee Friday. ;)

Workout

This morning I was able to get about 45 minutes of a solid strength workout in, thanks again to Exercise TV. I’ve been loving their new category, “10lb Slimdown” with Chris Freytag, so today I did the Upper Body & Core workouts. I love them, not only because they’re a great workout, but also because I complete almost all the moves without having to modify for my foot. It’s mostly low impact on the lower body, or floor work, which is perfect for gimpy over here! :roll:

This afternoon I’m spending some time with my Mom, doing a little “Back to School” shopping…she offered to get me a new outfit for “back to school” – can’t beat that! :-D

Oh yes, and I almost forgot to share! Yesterday I got my hair cut & colored…what do ya think?

The “do” was a little faded out and dull from all the summer weather, so it needed a little updating. I wanted to add some red undertones this time, and Mom did an AWESOME job on it (she’s a hairdresser). Thanks, Mom! :-D

Trying desperately to use the glass front door as a “mirror” to my camera screen…I’m horrible at taking self-photos!

Stay tuned this afternoon for a little Fashion Friday, Banana Republic style. ;)

1 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 3, 2010 at 11:33 am

LOL – I have several of those same cans of pumpkin I have been hoarding. Broke into one last night for pumpkin soup.

2 Chicago Cuisine Critique September 3, 2010 at 11:43 am

Your hair looks great!

3 Jen @ Jen is Green September 3, 2010 at 11:57 am

pretty hair, looks gorgeous!!

i just stocked up on four cans of that pumpkin last night. I have never tried it in oats though..excited for that!!! do you keep the unused pumpkin in the fridge? or can you freeze it?

4 Courtney September 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I usually just refrigerate it because I end up using it quickly enough before it would go bad. ;) I’ve never tried freezing it?

5 ellaroo88 September 3, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I’m totally pumpkin hooked with you. Pumpkin pie spice in my pumpkin coffee- Holly Mooly. Question- I have really dark hair and have always wanted to try red highlights. . . this is kind of weird but could you tell us more- what is your “natural” color?

6 Courtney September 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm

My hair is naturally a lighter brown, but I think dark brown hair looks amazing with red in it! Rather than do highlights, you could even just do an all-over color with red undertones. That’s what my mom did with mine: she mixed 3 different colors to give the color some dimension with a slight bit of red. The natural highlights that were already in my hair picked up the red a little more, making those pieces a little brighter. If you were to tell your colorist that you want some red undertones, I think that would be a good start! Good luck!! :)

7 Amy @ Second City Randomness September 3, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I’m pretty excited about pumpkin oats. No lie- this will be my first season trying them. But I’m also pumped for everything else pumpkin/squash-related to cook!

8 Shanna September 3, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Your hair looks fabulous! Mama did a great job :)

9 nicole September 3, 2010 at 1:18 pm

YAY! You had a pumpkin day today too! Did you see my post this morning.. dedicated to pumpkin!

10 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 3, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I’m SO making pumpkin oats as soon as I can get my hands on some canned pumpkin (can’t find them yet :( )

Love the hair color!

11 michele September 3, 2010 at 2:28 pm

OMG, I am so making pumpkin oats this weekend!! That looks delish! I have 2 cans of the same pumpkin filling just hangin’ out in my pantry!

And your hair looks fab! Love it! :)

12 erica September 3, 2010 at 2:38 pm

love the hair! don’t you just love the feeling after you’ve had your hair cut (and colored)?

and not to mention all those goodies from banana republic. those are some great deals!!!!

13 Cait September 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Love your hair! I’ve been looking for a new stylist in the Cap Region since my beloved hairdresser moved :(

Mind sharing what studio your mom is with? I may have to pay her a visit!

14 Courtney September 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Sure! She works at Signatures Salon & Spa in North Greenbush, right off exit 8 on I-90. They’re all GREAT there!! Good luck! :)

15 Amy September 3, 2010 at 3:19 pm

The pumpkin oats look so yummy.
Your hair looks fabulous, love the color on u alot. Since ur moms a hairstylist what products do u use to keep it from getting dry? I hilite and mine gets breakage and dry. Its really babyfine too. Blah!!! Too bad moms not closer I’d love to have her do my hair.

16 Courtney September 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I switch up my products quite a bit, but I almost always stick with the Redken line. I also don’t always blow dry my hair in the summer, so that helps too. But I love all the Redken products!

17 Celina September 3, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Your hair look gorgeous! I always envy’d the girls who had parents for hairdressers… They always hadperfect hair ;)

18 Me! March 14, 2011 at 12:56 am

I’m a little late to the game but this recipe looks divine! How exactly do you cook it? Do you heat all up all the liquids and mix it with the other stuff like you would it you made regular oatmeal? Thank you for your help!

19 Courtney March 14, 2011 at 8:17 am

Yup! That’s exactly it…just throw it all in there like you normally would. :)

20 Crystal Coppel September 27, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I am also going to try it hot this weekend. Sounds amazing! But I also want to try and make this into overnight oats in a jar. Is that possible with this recipe? I am thinking I would throw everything into the jar except the topping at the banana and add that in the next morning?

Is that right? Any suggestions?

21 Courtney September 27, 2011 at 3:57 pm

It’s definitely possible!
I usually just throw it ALL into the jar (banana included), except for the toppings. But I’m sure either way would work great. :)

22 Rachael October 23, 2011 at 9:59 am

Your pumpkin oatmeal recipe was delicious… I had the urge to make it yesterday after purchasing Trader Joes Country Pumpkin Spice Granola. And let me just say it was super yummy. Thanks for the recipe!

23 Courtney October 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

No problem! That granola sounds awesome!