No Pudge Here!

by Courtney on September 15, 2010

My hubby really is a Grill Master…he never ceases to impress me with his skillzzz. ;)

This morning before leaving for work, I took some Italian marinated chicken out from the freezer to have ready for dinner tonight. Can I just say…as much as I hate washing and prepping large packs of chicken, it really is so nice when it comes time to use them!

Our freezer pack included 2 good-sized chicken breasts, so I decided to cut my portion in half and save the other half for tomorrow’s lunch.

Just look at how moist and juicy that is! (For my vegetarian friends, forgive me for the up-close and personal shot) ;)

Along with our Italian grilled chicken, I cut up a large sweet potato and made some sweet potater fries. I simply tossed them in a little EVOO, salt, pepper, and some Garlic Gold nuggets, and cooked ‘em in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Pure deliciousness…especially with ketchup. :)

The rest of my Garlic Gold was reserved for some roasted zucchini, which pretty much got the same treatment as my potaters. They might look funny, but they sure were yummy!

We are also treating ourselves to a little dessert tonight…

I picked up this box of No Pudge Fudge Brownie mix ages ago, but kept forgetting it was in the pantry. Tonight, Jay just happened to ask, “So what’s for dessert?” at the exact same time I was moving it out of my way on the shelf. I’ll call it fate.

When it comes to brownies, however, I can never leave them just the way they are…I need to jazz ‘em up a bit (what can I say, I like my desserts complex). ;) And I knew exactly what to add to these bad boys:

CARAMEL!! I received these two jars of Fat Toad Farm Traditional Goat’s Milk Caramel last week after winning a contest through the Foodie Blog Roll and have eagerly been waiting for an opportunity to try them out.

According to the Fat Toad Farm website, Goat’s Milk Caramel, also known as cajeta, “is very similar to the ever popular dulce de leche, a dairy based confection that uses cow’s milk. Cajeta, on the other hand has its roots in Mexico and is based on goat’s milk. While standard caramel sauces are based on sugar (often times high fructose corn syrup) with very little dairy, cajeta is primarily a dairy based product. As a result, our caramel is incredibly creamy and is not as intensely sweet as conventional caramel sauces.”

……ummmm, ok…can I have mine served in a bowl with a ladle please?

I swirled some of the Original Caramel throughout my brownie batter, while wiping drool from my mouth chatting with Jay as he did the dishes. :)

Let’s just say I’m a little more than excited for these babies to come out of the oven…

Let’s just hope they taste as good as they smell right now!

**My Q&A page is officially updated with all of the questions from the most recent “Ask Me Anything” installment. Thanks for all of your fun questions!**

I’m off to go do a little yoga, then relax on the couch with my baked treats. Mmmmmm. :-P

Question for the Night:

Favorite way to eat a sweet potato??

1 briana September 15, 2010 at 7:48 pm

With chili and goat cheese

2 Di @ http://thetreadmilldiaries.com September 15, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I’ve seen the Goat Milk Caramel before and admit was hesitant to try it. Will definitely give it a chance now (drizzled on baked apples). Mmm. Thanks for mentioning.

3 Stephanie September 15, 2010 at 7:56 pm

topped with salsa & Chobani plain Greek yogurt!!! the spiciness of the salsa plus the sweetness of the sweet potato plus the creaminess of the yogurt = pure heaven!

4 Lauren September 15, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Actually, I love to eat a sweet potato raw, peeled and sliced into thick chunks. Though recently I’ve seen someone eat one with a poached egg on top; I’m gonna try that next!

5 Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous September 15, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Oddly enough I love the combination of sweet potato and salmon

6 Kara @ MyWellnest September 15, 2010 at 8:25 pm

How cool that caramel is from VT!
Your brownies look amazing!
I love sweet potato fries the most :-)

7 Sana September 15, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I absolutely love those brownies, but I would have never thought to add a little bit of flavor to them!

8 Lizzy @ LBBakes September 15, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I’ve never had those brownies – let us know how they turn out!

Hmm, best way to eat a sweet potato? Sweet potato fries. Unless you’re baking. Then, sweet potato cookies!

9 Shanna, like Banana September 15, 2010 at 9:13 pm

No pudge is great..try using a flavored yogurt, like raspberry…gives ‘em great flava!

10 ellaroo88 September 15, 2010 at 9:17 pm

No pudge brownies! I’ve seen those before and wanted to try them. Please update us on how they taste

11 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) September 15, 2010 at 9:22 pm

What a good idea to put caramel in the brownies. I am a huge brownie fan….the no pudge do the trick when you’re trying to be “good”.

12 Brynn September 15, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Drooling! Wow, I have had those before but my No Pudge never look that good! Yum, I am trying that next time!!

13 Laurie @ Cookies n' Cardio September 15, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Ummmmm… those brownies look divine! I was already drooling when you showed the jar of caramel… but the second I so those caramel SWIRLED brownies…. me want brownies!

14 Jess September 15, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Those brownies look AMAZING!!! The caramel swirled in the brownie mix looks so yummy!!

15 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' September 15, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Just discovered your blog! I love it! :D

I’ve been meaning to try those “No Pudge” brownies, so I’m excited to hear what you think of them! (of course, how could they NOT be good with that drool-worthy caramel sauce!)

Favorite topping on sweet potatoes? I actually love making them savory to contrast with their natural sweetness! I like to cut them into chunks (breakfast-potato style) and toss them with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Then roast until crispy on the outside, tender on the inside! YUM.

16 theprocessofhealing September 15, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Those brownies look AMAZING!!!!

17 Serial Mommy September 15, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I usually cut them in to wedges, use the evoo, garlic powder, rosemary, pepper, and paprika and bake them at about 425 until they are crispy. The kids like them with ketchup, I prefer sour cream. As for your brownies, I do that with homemade cheesecake filling. SOOOO yummy.

18 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 15, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Ah, loving the swirl of the caramel!

19 ryan September 15, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Peanut butter is increidble on sweet potatoes!

20 Courtney September 16, 2010 at 8:05 am

WOW why did I not think of that?!?

21 tracy September 15, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I’d eat sweet tators fixed any way but my favorite is fries made like you make, but toss them in chili powder and cinnamon. Good. Really good. And the best thing about those brownies is you can make a single serving of them and never have to face a whole pan of brownies;-)

22 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] September 16, 2010 at 12:31 am

sweet tater with a pile of baked beans – that’s darn good!

23 atastelife September 16, 2010 at 9:38 am

I would have to go with sweet potato fries or with almond butter. yummmmmmmmmm.

24 CaSaundra September 17, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I am a huge no-pudge fan!! Loooove how you added the caramel..yummy!