Nerves On The Rise

by Courtney on September 23, 2010

This morning, I am now (once again) rushing around like a mad woman. :shock:

I decided to forego a morning workout, and instead got a nice long extra hour of sleep. I’m so glad I got that extra hour, BUT, now my schedule is paying for it. Eeeek!

Time to make this post QUICK!

Breakfast

Thanks to reading Julie’s post yesterday about her fabulous pumpkin + PB2 combo, this morning’s breakfast was in the bag!

I simply combined 1/3 cup pumpkin (finally, the LIbby’s brand!) with 2 tbsp. PB2 and mixed ‘em together nice and smooth.

Then, I spread a lightly toasted Thomas’s Bagel Thin with the mixture, along with some cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, & a drizzle of honey.

Pure genius, Julie, pure genius. Thank you SO MUCH for introducing me to this!! My mouth is still watering from how good it was! :-D

On the side, I also had 1/2 a ‘naner.

And, of course, a delicious mug of Pumpkin Spice coffee TO-GO.

I have a FULL DAY ahead of me today, including Open House night at school tonight. (Remember those nights when your parents would go, come back and tell you all the “interesting things” they learned about your class?!?) ;)

I always get a little nervous with Open House night… If you put me in front of a room full of fifty 10 year olds, I’m fine. No prob. But ask me to speak in front of a room full of adults…EEEEK. :shock: I’ll be glad when it’s over! How does the saying go?…Just picture them all in…… :-P

Question for the Morning:

Do you get nervous when speaking in front of a certain audience? How do you deal with those nerves?

1 Lisa September 23, 2010 at 8:13 am

I work in a call center and I have to particpate in New Hire Training for the Module on Quality Assurance. Let me tell you that I get shaky every time I get up there even though I have been doing this for the last two years. I can get up in front of other groups and be fine but not this group. I think their nerves wear off on me. I try to just be myself and take a deep breath and just get it done!

2 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 23, 2010 at 8:28 am

Open House night…oh, the memories! My parents would always come back and tell me that the teacher said I was “smart but shy.” Funny I still remember that. Good luck tonight!!

3 Katie H September 23, 2010 at 8:35 am

I love the new look Courtney! I have to engage in public speaking quite a bit… I used to be terrified but now I’m comfortable with it. My key is practice practice practice.. I literally go through my materials in front of a mirror dozens of times. You will be great!

4 CaSaundra September 23, 2010 at 8:55 am

I will definitely need to try out the pumpkin/PB2 combo!! Sounds great! And I am sure you’ll do fabulous tonight–best of luck!

5 Tina September 23, 2010 at 9:14 am

Great minds think alike! I had the same pb/pumpkin/maple concoction spread on waffles this morning. :D

6 Chicago Cuisine Critique September 23, 2010 at 9:49 am

You will do great tonight. Don’t sweat it!

7 peanutbutterfingers September 23, 2010 at 10:07 am

woohoo! so glad you liked the combo. i am a huge fan! i kinda wanna make myself a ginormous bowl of it for breakfast tomorrow. :)

good luck at open house tonight. i am sure you’ll knock ‘em dead! you’re clearly a genuine and caring person and i’m sure that will come across to the parents of the children you teach as well.

8 Kate@andwhenshesays September 23, 2010 at 10:11 am

You’ll be fabulous! And like Katie said…you could just picture them all as cats?

That breakfast on the go looks amazing. I have a can of pumpkin dying to be opened…and that was just the motivation needed!

9 Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes September 23, 2010 at 10:26 am

Absolutely! My mind is all over the place, hands are sweaty and my heart is pounding. Good luck tonight! You’ll do great, I’m sure.

10 Angela September 23, 2010 at 10:45 am

That breakfast really looks delish. I must try it! I get nervous when speaking in public in general. I need to be really, really, really comfortable with a topic to speak in front of a crowd. Embarrassing fact about me – I actually took a special speech communications class in college and had to get approval. The class was for students who had a fear of public speaking and you had to interview with the instructor. It wasn’t even listed in the course catalog. I learned about it through my advisor!

11 Shanna, like Banana September 23, 2010 at 11:07 am

I thrive on speaking in front of groups. I love it. So empowering.

You will do fabulous! :)

12 Liz @ LBBakes September 23, 2010 at 11:38 am

Breakfast looks delicious. Good luck tonight! :)

13 Carrie September 23, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Oh for sure, I hate talking in front of any group. Especially adults. I used to convince myself that I was great with it, but then high school came….and I became significantly less convinced.

14 studentofhealthyliving September 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Good luck tonight, I am sure you will do great! Just think before those parents had kids, I am sure they acted like 10 years old ;) Haha. I really hate talking in front of my boss. I get super nervous that I am going to say the wrong thing, or talk improperly. It’s hard to be poised when your knees and hands are shaking. You will be great though, the parents are probably nervous too.

15 Vanessa September 23, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I am a first grade teacher. We just had our open house last week. I don’t really enjoy it much either. Put me in a room w/17 6-7yr.olds and I’m fine, but not with adults. Oh, and conferences are even worse!! Good luck!