Need Some New Cardio Workout Ideas?

by Courtney on October 3, 2010

I can feeeeeel the burrrrrrn! :shock:

This morning started off nice and early with a trip to the gym. I debated on attending the BodyPump class that they offer, but decided to wait since I’m still pretty sore from Friday’s class. I’m so glad I decided to forego BodyPump, because I had one heck of a cardio workout!!!

Thanks to my latest issue of Self magazine, I had a few different cardio ideas that I’ve been wanting to try, so today was the day to do it. I started off with the treadmill, combining both of the magazine’s treadmill workouts to come up with this…I’ll call it the:

Backside Burner Workout

By the time this workout was over, I was definitely feelin’ my backside. However, apparently that wasn’t enough for me today, so I scooted on over to the elliptical for another routine…

Let me warn you though; this is not just any routine…this easily had to be the most difficult elliptical workout I have ever done. :shock: If you’re up for a challenge, give this 30 minute routine a try:

30 Minute Elliptical Insanity

1 14
2 4
1 15
2 3
1 16
2 2

I seriously considered quitting at about minute 7, but I told myself to stick with it…I’m no quitter! The 1 minute intervals on this routine were absolutely crazy. I could not believe how intense they were! Just remember to keep your strides per minute up as high as you can handle in order to maximize the burn!

After completing my insane cardio workouts for the day, I finished up with about 10 minutes of abs and another 5-7 minutes of serious stretching. It felt so good to stretch!

Then it was time for a little post workout fuel:

3/4 pumpkin pie flavor + 1/4 very vanilla = 100% Very Delicious :-P

After showering, since I was nothing short of a sweaty beast, it was time to make some breakfast/brunch.

I heated up a piece of my Honey Raisin Banana Pumpkin bread, which was mmm mmm GOOD. I will be so sad when it’s gone! :(

And along with my bread, I enjoyed a little yogurt combo…any guesses what kind???

Hopefully you figured out my clue! ;) In the bowl:

• 1 cup Oikos plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp honey
  • sprinkle cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice

Sooo good!

Occasionally, the photographing of my eats can take a little time, depending on the mood I’m in. Today was one of those
days where I just kept snapping, so if you notice, these last couple photos may look a little different than the first ones:

A sinking pumpkin…

Some half eaten bread…

Apparently my stomach wasn’t as patient as my camera was today. ;)

Time to get back to watching the Jets game!! J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets! :-D

Question for the Morning:

What machine do you feel you get the best workout from: treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, stair climber? Or any others?

1 Charlie October 3, 2010 at 2:43 pm

For a leg workout, the stairclimber does the trick but I find that the elliptical gives me the best workout since it works the whole body.

2 jessielu October 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I like the elliptical the most, but I think running gives me my best workout because I’m not too great at it!

3 Khushboo Thadani October 3, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Running is my favorite form of exercise so I’m partial to the treadmill. Although I have started incorporating incline power walking into my sessions which make you really do feel the burn and I do enjoy the elliptical once I’m on it.

I have no motivation when it comes to weight training. I find it SO boring and I won’t even deny it: I’m a pure wimp!

4 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices October 3, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Can’t wait to try that elliptical workout! That resistance DOES look pretty intense :)
Loving the pumpkin in your yogurt- you’re too cute :D

5 Jen is Green October 3, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I feel like running gives me the best workout, but maybe I’m bias. ;-) I forget what its like to get on the elliptical. When I’m done with training I need to get my butt on that machine and do that workout!!!

6 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 3, 2010 at 4:07 pm

RUNNING is definitely the best workout for me!! That being said, I love the elliptical as well…it’s the best for intervals! I like to do lots of backpedaling to get my glutes burning!

7 Di @ http://thetreadmilldiaries.com/ October 3, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I’ve tracked my cardio burn in the gym with my bodybugg device and confirmed that running on the treadmill gives me the highest burn – about 11 to 12 calories per minute. It’s higher than the other options by about 3-5 calories per minute. Though I admit to the others feeling tougher on my body. :(

8 Sam October 3, 2010 at 5:04 pm

See if you can find a “Willpower and Grace” class. It’s a cardio class which focuses on your lower body.

9 Jessica@tastyandtrim October 3, 2010 at 6:44 pm

That pumpkin yogurt looks delicious- great idea! I love those cute little pumpkin candies too, I need to stock up :) I feel like I get the best workout from either the elliptical or the treadmill. It’s always a sign that I had a great workout when I’m dripping with sweat after.

10 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 3, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Treadmill or [Spin] Bike =)

11 runningaroundnormal October 3, 2010 at 9:48 pm

There’s nothing like a good run, but I could run forever on a treadmill. Put me on a stair climber and I’m done for in 10 minutes!!

12 Courtney October 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Oh my god…AGREED!

13 Chicago Cuisine Critique October 3, 2010 at 10:45 pm

That yogurt sounds delicious. I agree with the stair climber comment..those machines are killer.

14 ashley October 4, 2010 at 11:06 am

I did your 30 minute elliptical insanity workout AFTER I did 20 minutes on the stair master! OMG I felt like I needed a gurney to get myself out of the gym…..BUT it’s definitely a keeper! Thanks!!!

15 Andrea September 30, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I have been doing the Elliptical Insanity workout, and it’s incredible. Although, every time I do it my toes starts to tingle and I’m not sure why. Do you have any idea why this is? I’m on my feet a lot and used to be a competitive gymnast and cheerleader, but this just started when I started working out again.