Pumpkin Mousse with Pecan Streusel Topping

by Courtney on October 19, 2010

If you happened to catch Sunday’s Fall Festival post, then you know that I still owe all of you a couple recipes. ;)

Yesterday, I shared my yummy Fall Funfetti Cookies with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

Has anyone gone and tried to find the festive Fall Funfetti cake mix yet???

Well, today, I share with you my Pumpkin Mousse with Pecan Streusel Topping

This recipe is incredibly easy, thanks to these little gems I picked up at the grocery store a couple weeks ago…

I seriously think I let out a tiny shriek while approaching these guys located on the end cap of the baking isle. I may have frightened the woman standing next to me.

Now when it comes to jell-o pudding, I’m no stranger to the fact that they’re no nutritional powerhouse by any means. However, when you plaster pumpkin spice in the front of that box, and decorate it all pretty with all those fall pumpkins and leaves. Well, c’mon…that’s hardly fair!

I’m willing to turn a blind eye if you are. ;)

I had originally planned on just making some regular jell-o pudding out of these, but after chatting with Mal, she informed me of a delicious Pumpkin Mousse recipe located right on the box. Really? Was she serious?

It was no joke! So i got my ingredients out, and got ready to roll.

Simply whisk together your pudding mix, 1 cup milk (per box) and 1 cup whipped topping (per box).

Pour it into your serving bowl and, well, that’s it for that part! But before you’re ready to serve this amazing pumpkin mousse bowl, you need to prep your streusel topping:

Mix together 1/4 cup chopped pecans, 1 tbsp melted butter, & 2 tbsp brown sugar (I doubled mine, since I used 2 boxes)

Actually, I didn’t double it…my favorite hubby took care of this part while I took care of licking the spoon to the pudding mousse washing the dishes. Yeah, I recommend probably chewing some gum while you make this recipe…I’m just sayin. ;)

So if you end up buying the Jell-O, then you’re all set, since the recipe came right from the box. But if you decide to come up with your own mousse creation, then you at least have some measurements for your topping.

*FYI: For the locals…the only place I’ve been able to find the pumpkin Jell-O  is Hannaford. Nobody else seems to carry it that I’ve found?

I’m almost wondering if some of my leftovers would be any good mixed into some oatmeal. Is that crazy?? :shock:

Question for the Afternoon:

What foods are you willing to “turn a blind eye” to based on their nutritional stats?

1 Lauren October 19, 2010 at 11:42 am

I would say diet soda is what I turn a blind eye too. I have tried to give it up on many times, but I always go running back. I also love cool whip regardless of it’s partially hydrogenated oils.

2 Whitney October 19, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Diet sodas were very difficult for me but I just recently decided enough was enough and felt like I was putting poison in my body everytime I drank one so I have been “clean” for four months now and feel so much better! :)

3 Chicago Cuisine Critique October 19, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Wow! This looks great. Pumpkin spice is taking over everything! :) Love it.

4 Shayla October 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Diet Coke and Diet Sprite – I just love having it with a meal! :)

5 Erin @ Cooking and the City October 19, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I found that pudding mix in New Jersey this past weekend and did the same thing you did when I saw it, haha! It is now sitting in a kitchen cabinet, waiting to be made…random question, but do you know if you can use non-dairy milk with JELL-O pudding mixes? I wonder if it would come out the same?

I pretty much turn a blind eye to all boxed cake/baking mixes – I’m sorry but brownies from a box are really good!

6 Courtney October 19, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Hmm, I’m not sure??

7 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices October 19, 2010 at 2:18 pm

That looks SO yummy & pretty easy to prepare. Now my mission for the week is to find that pudding! I have yet to spot it, but I didn’t know it existed…so now I’m on the hunt :D

8 laura October 19, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Uhhhh..that is NOT crazy. It’s genius! :)

9 Shanna, like Banana October 19, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Yes, of course put it in oatmeal..sounds delish.

I REALLY need to make a trip to my grocery store now!

10 leashieloo October 19, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Too delish for words, you’ve got to put it in the oatmeal!!

11 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 19, 2010 at 7:39 pm

That streusal topping looks amazing. I would also put this in my oatmeal. Or maybe even in a yogurt bowl

12 Lindsay October 19, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I turn a BLIND EYE, to alot of foods because I am in recovery and I refuse to let any food control my life anymore. I especially LOVE halloween candy, diet coke, Jell-O pudding, and Oreo Cookies!! :)

13 Evan @swEEts October 20, 2010 at 10:02 am

I am now on a mission to find this pumpkin jello mix! Holy wow.. delicious.

14 Brittany October 20, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I pretty much turn a blind eye to ALL desserts. The key to doing so is never making it yourself. I have no idea what my Mom puts in the almond square bars, silver white cake or applecrisp haha

15 CaSaundra October 21, 2010 at 9:14 am

Oh gosh..how was I not aware of that pudding?! I am putting it on my list for the next grocery trip :-) Thanks for sharing!