I’m Back In The Running Game!

by Courtney on October 26, 2010

I am SO GOSH DARN EXCITED TONIGHT!! So excited, in fact, that I’m not going to mess around and make you wait to find out why. So let me just come out and say it…

I’m back in the running game! :mrgreen:

After work today, I headed to the gym ready to tackle some cardio. I knew that I wanted to do some sort of running/walking, and figured I’d probably end up on the elliptical at some point, but I didn’t really have an exact game plan in mind.

Ever since I injured my foot back in August, it’s been a slow but steady process to get back to where I was pre-injury. Last week was actually the first time I attempted any sort of running more than 1/2 a mile, so when I finished that with no pain, I knew I’d be able to keep goin’.

Once I got moving on the treadmill today, there was absolutely no sign of pain in my foot, so I “ran with it” and ended up completing 4.5 miles in just under 45 minutes. Besides a little extra soreness in my hip, I felt like a million bucks! It’s so good to be back!! :-D

I finished my sesh at the gym with some serious stretching and about 10 minutes of abs. I’m beyond stoked right now!

Breakfast

Rewind to this morning…part of today’s breakfast included some serious deliciousness that I just had to share with you all.

2 slices of Trader Joe’s cinnamon raisin swirl bread – 1 topped with PB + banana / 1 topped with Trader Joe’s pumpkin cream cheese + pumpkin butter. I don’t know which one was my favorite…they were both fantastic!

IMG_5899IMG_5898

Lunch

I love it when I have leftover roasted veggies for a salad. In addition to my veggies + romaine base, I also added in some fat-free feta crumbles & a couple carrots, all drizzled with a little balsamic + EVOO + oregano/garlic powder/basil. Yumm!

An apple for the teacher? You betcha! Along with some Kashi crackers.

IMG_5901IMG_5903

And an Adora disk for a little “dessert.”

So my whole way home from the gym, all I could think about was how I couldn’t WAIT to shower and crawl into my comfies. However, as I pulled into the driveway, I was greeted with this lovely mess…

UGHH! As much as I love fall, raking leaves is probably the one aspect of the season that I really just do not enjoy. Ooof. :(

I debated on sneak-attacking hubby by running into the house and hopping quick in the shower so he wouldn’t see me…no such luck. But he did ask really nicely to help, so I couldn’t leave him hangin’. I got my gloves, my rake, and my game face on. We tackled this mess in less than half an hour. Score! :)

Finally, after showering, it was time for dinner. No cooking in this house tonight…I needed a quick fix!

Enter: grilled turkey + provolone + tomato + The Laughing Cow Light Sun-Dried Tomato Basil cheese. This, my friends, was phenomenal.

I also enjoyed a festive bowl of Mom’s homemade applesauce. This stuff is just so good. I’m so bummed it’s all gone now. :(

Then, you’ll never guess what happened!

I turned around around for one minute to get myself a glass of water…and when I came back to get my food, I found some cats sneak-attacking my applesauce! :shock: These little guys really are dangerous…

Hehehe ;)

Now I’m off to go try to make a dent on the pile of laundry that is currently invading our laundry room.

Question for the Evening:

What seasonal chores do you like/dislike doing??

For me, raking leaves, shoveling snow, and closing the pool are some of my least favorites. Yuck! :-P

1 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices October 26, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Court, you are too cute with those cat cookies in your applesauce :) You always make me smile!
CONGRATS on your running experience- SUPER exciting news! WOOHOO!
Actually, today in Florida it was 91 degrees- can you believe it!??!?!? I’m like it’s OCTOBER! insane. Needless to say, I don’t really have any fall chores.
Hope you have a great rest of your evening :)

2 Jen is Green October 26, 2010 at 8:23 pm

congrats on the four miles!!! you’re ready for a race! ;-)

at first I thought I was going to see your cat cody in the apple sauce, haha. now, that would have been funny.

3 Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous October 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I agree with all those yucky seasonal chores! Good thing you teamed up to tackle the leaves!

4 Di @ http://thetreadmilldiaries.com/ October 26, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Nice job with the run. It’s always great to feel strong and to get back to something you enjoy. I can completely relate.

Seasonal chore that’s a downer – weeding the flower beds and veggie garden.

5 Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 26, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Congrats on the run- that’s such good news! Your dinner sandwich looks so good! I need to start enjoying dinner sandwiches more.

I hate all chores- vacuuming and laundry and emptying the dishwasher are year round and they are all the pits!!!! ;)

6 leashieloo October 26, 2010 at 9:06 pm

That reminds me, I really need to rake my leaves as well! I just hate how once you clean them up, more are shed. I’m hoping for a windy day to just blow them away.

7 Laurie October 26, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Haha, dang cats. Respect for raking, I just can’t make myself do it! Okay, question….are the new laughing cow flavors worth trying? I have been tempted to try the roasted tomato like you ate or the blue cheese one but want to make sure I am not wasting money on something just ‘ehh’. Thanks!

8 Courtney October 26, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Yes, I LOVE the new Sundried Tomato flavor! It’s awesome and definitely worth trying :)

9 Liz @ LBBakes October 26, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Yay for running! :)

10 Jess October 26, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Closing the pool stinks! Since I still live at home, I try to avoid it as much as possible and hope my dad won’t ask me !
Congrats on a successful run!

11 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 26, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Yay! I can tell you got a running endorphin high =]

12 Jaclyn October 26, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Raking leaves seems so pointless to me – there are ALWAYS more the next day, it seems! Or, they just fly around by some random leaf blower – ha!
Other things I’m not a fan of…. vacuuming… it’s boring! Other than that, I don’t mind cleaning too much -’cept toilets ;)!

Yummy looking sandwich for dinner! My mom makes homemade apple butter too and its. sooooo. good!

Warm showers and snuggly comfy clothes are the best on cold blustery days!!

13 andionthego October 27, 2010 at 5:44 am

I generally don’t have leaves to rake, but after this week’s crazy windstorms, my backyard is full. :( boo.

congratulations on being back at running! big news. :) also, I drool over your TJ’s goodies … I was just there two weeks ago (the nearest for me is 2+ hours away) and can’t wait to go back. ;)

14 Brenda October 27, 2010 at 8:10 am

Have you seen HG’s recipe, a box of cake mix with a can of pumpkin? I thought you’d love that.

15 Courtney October 27, 2010 at 8:11 am

Mmmmm hmmmm! I sure have! Love it with a spice or carrot cake mix! :)

16 Tina October 27, 2010 at 11:30 am

Woo for the run!! And I hate any chore that involves yard work. Hate!

17 Emily October 27, 2010 at 11:33 am

CONGRATS on running again! Coming back from an energy always reminds you how much you lovvvve running and how amazingly awesome it is. I’m out with a foot injury now and I know my first few miles back are going to be pure heaven!

18 Alyssa October 27, 2010 at 11:57 am

This is funny – I just navigated to your blog from Julie’s (pbfingers), and saw that your first post from yesterday states you’re back in the running game.

I’m a huuuuge runner, but recently strained my IT band and have been down for the count for a month or so. Incidentally, YESTERDAY marked my first day back on the tread with no pain! Hoooorah for us! :)

19 Courtney October 27, 2010 at 8:04 pm

That’s too funny! Congrats to you! And yes…hoooooorah for us. :-D

20 lisaou11 October 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm

CONGRATS! That’s big time! 4.5 miles is great too!

I actually really like raking–Im not sure why!

21 Chicago Cuisine Critique October 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm

That sandwich you made looks delicious!

22 adventuresofpretendcook October 27, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Raking leaves is also one of those chores that I hate. And my husband and I have a HUGE tree in our yard, so leaves are falling constantly. It seems like every time we rake leaves, there are a million more to take their place just a couple days later.

23 Megan (Braise The Roof) October 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I have to say it, when it comes to seasonal chores I have it pretty easy- there are definitely upsides to living in a condo! Although, I have memories of hauling patio furniture down to the basement that are particularly haunting. That sandwich looks awesome- I love anything sundried tomato on a sandwich!

24 Michelle October 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I am so glad your foot is better! I would have a really hard time going that long without running!

25 CaSaundra October 28, 2010 at 9:22 am

Big mixed salads always hit the spot–yours sounds great!

26 Kelly Olexa October 30, 2010 at 12:15 pm

OMG that is so funny about the leaves/raking. I remember growing up my mom would always ask me to help her with raking leaves and getting them in the bags….I just came to LOATHE the idea. At present, I live in a condo where the “boys” with the association do all that lawn stuff for us, so I’m happy with this setup. I don’t like to do ANY kind of “yard work”. It just feels wrong. I also despise vacuuming the stairs, another chore I was told to do growing up. Hmmm I sound kind of bitter, don’t I?? ;-)