Fashion Friday: Dark Nails

by Courtney on October 29, 2010

:) Happy Fashion Friday!! :)

On Today’s Agenda…

source

It’s All About Black/Dark Nails!

Seems perfectly fitting for Halloween, right?

Well, just in case you’re not quite ready to break out the Jet Black polish, there are some great options out there for you to choose from. Many of you noticed my fresh paint job this week, which, while it may look like black…it’s not! ;)

(Please pay no attention to the middle finger nail, which I nicely chipped yesterday afternoon…of course!) :mad:

This polish is one of my favorite polishes I own: O.P.I Lincoln Park After Dark. Its hint of plum keeps the super deep hue from looking to “goth,” but still gives a fun, edgy look. O.P.I. is my absolute favorite brand of polish. It lasts the longest of any other brand I own and goes on with a nice, smooth finish.

**One important rule that I go by when using dark polish: Keep the nails short. Otherwise, I feel like it looks a little too much like the fake nails I’d add to my witch costumes when I was younger. And that’s a definitely no-no for everyday style! :shock:

I’ve actually had this polish for about two years now, so I had to laugh when I saw it in at least two different magazines this season about being the “in” color. I guess maybe I was ahead of the trend???? Hehe ;)

Question for the Day:

What do you think of Black/Dark Nails? Do you have a favorite polish color?

1 Amy October 29, 2010 at 8:34 am

I love dark nails. I love the new dark purple by mac its beautiful.

2 Paula McCormick October 29, 2010 at 8:45 am

My absolute favorite polish for my toes – Lincoln Park After Dark – still wearing the french on the fingers – maybe it’s time I broke free and tried it on my fingernails – I agree they should be shorter in length – maybe that is my hesitation – great blog:)

3 Joslyn @ missfitbliss October 29, 2010 at 9:48 am

Ha! I’ve had Lincoln Park After Dark for several years as well. It’s a great classic color. It’s a great layer under the new Deborah Lippmann sparkly polishes too. Great manicure – I couldn’t even see that chip on your middle finger!

4 Charlie October 29, 2010 at 9:53 am

I have a dark plum nailpolish! I think it is much better than black. Even though it seems black, it doesn’t have the same effect with my fair skin.
But I still prefer lighter shades (my favorite is light pink!).

P.S. The middle finger nail is chipped? My nails don’t look that good 2 minutes after doing my manicure ;).

5 Liz October 29, 2010 at 10:16 am

Ohh, I really want that color! Where did you get it?

6 Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 29, 2010 at 10:21 am

That’s my favorite color, too. I love OPI polishes- my dream job would be to name the colors!

7 Shanna, like Banana October 29, 2010 at 10:44 am

LOVE dark nails. I have the color too. I also like OPI “What are you wearing” and for Xmas “Merry Merry Midnight”

My toes are “Midnight in Moscow” right now ;)

Happy Friday!

8 Whitney October 29, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I love love dark colors on fingernails! I pretty much wear it year round.. and OPI by far has the best colors compared to the rest. I love how dark nails give your overall outfit/look a little more edge! This post is so relative because I just went yesterday to get my nails done and left with a new color from the OPI Swiss collection! Gorgeous! have a great weekend! :)

9 Chicago Cuisine Critique October 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I’m a big fan of dark nails. I love the dark purple colors, they are the best! Your ring is beautiful by the way, not sure if i’ve ever seen it up close like that before. :)

10 kitkat1126 October 29, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Awesome coincidence, I just got a manicure last night and I used Lincoln Park After Dark! I love the color but as soon as I saw the name I had to try it. :)

11 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I have a very dark bluish/purple (OPI) that I use on my toes sometimes. I painted my fingernails with it once – definitely different, but fun for a change.

Happy Friday, love!

12 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com October 29, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I have that exact same nail polish and I love it. I totally agree, you have to have short nails when you wear dark colors. Have a great weekend.

13 Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous October 29, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I tried dark nails before (a dark purple) but it looked to harsh on my pale skin. Plus my nails are far too short. I’ve got to try growing them out again!

14 erica October 29, 2010 at 3:35 pm

absolutely LOVE dark vampy nails!!!
lincoln park after dark is one of my faves, and actually my first shade of dark polish!

15 Healthy Coconut October 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I had dark nail polish before but after I took them out, they stained my nails and they were yellowish :(

I love the intense look though, I would just have to be careful next time and ask the nail salon to put a good base before putting the polish.

Have a good weekend :)

16 Kathryn October 29, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Revlon nailpolish lasts a long time also-plus half the price!

17 kaitlinwithhoney October 29, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Whenever I can actually handle nail polish (it’s a tough feat for me, for some reason?), I almost always rock the dark colors.

18 Michelle October 29, 2010 at 6:46 pm

I am inspired to try a dark color now after reading this, so thanks for the fashion update!

19 leashieloo October 29, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Lincoln Park After Dark is currently gracing my fingernails! I am a big fan of dark polish. Sometimes I like to mix it up by painting one finger white.

20 Celina October 29, 2010 at 9:55 pm

The ‘IT’ colour for Fall is any shade of grey too!

I just bought a new matte, dark grey shade from revlon.
It goes with everything is is the new “gothic” colour ;)

21 mm October 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I always keep my nails short – long nails gross me out to be completely honest – and I love dark nail polish. I have Lincoln Park After Dark, and literally just packed it in my weekend duffel bag to apply tomorrow!

22 Brynn October 30, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I LOVE that color! I wore that for a wedding 3 years ago and I still wear it a lot. Perfect mix of edgy but pretty (purple) undertones.

23 Yajaira November 3, 2010 at 8:39 am

Hahaha I have had this color for 2 years also!!! I love the color!!!!