Courtney’s Apple Crisp

by Courtney on November 8, 2010

When it comes to dessert, anything with chocolate or frosting is usually right at the top of my list. However, there is one special treat that has always held a special place in my heart dessert belly: Apple Crisp.

It’s one of my favorite fall-weather treats to make! I’ve been using the same recipe for years, and to be honest, I really don’t remember where it came from?!?

I’ve had it written on this index card, and I’m not sure if I came up with it on my own or if I took it from somewhere? Who knows! :shock: But anyways, let’s get to the good stuff, shall we?

First, you’ll need to peel, core, and slice your apples. Or go ahead and use your apple peeler and make things a whole lot easier on yourself. If you don’t have one, you should really consider it. Here’s the one that I have, from Bed, Bath & Beyond: Apple Peeler/Corer.

Next, mix together your flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon,

and sprinkle over your sliced apples.

Let them cook for about 10 minutes, just to get slightly soft and super aromatic. :-P

While your apples are in the oven, begin mixing together your topping (aka, the best part of apple crisp EVER).

Flour…

Brown Sugar…

Cinnamon + Nutmeg…

Once your dry ingredients are combined, it’s time to cut in your butter. If you have a pastry cutter, then I would recommend using that. But if not, I’ve found that a couple forks work pretty well.

Truth be told, this step is the one and only step that prevents me from making apple crisp more often. I despise cutting in butter in recipes! :shock:

After what seems like an eternity (but really only a couple minutes…I just like to whine about it) you’ll have a soft, crumbly topping.

But you’re not done yet! It’s time to add the OATS:

Nowwww you’re good to go. Feel free to sample at this time…you know…just in case. ;)

Spread your mixture evenly on top of your partially baked apples, and pop it all in the oven for another 30-35 minutes.

Then you’ve got yourself one tasty dish of apple crisp!

My favorite way to enjoy my apple crisp is when it’s still warm, topped with a little vanilla ice cream + caramel…

It’s absolutely HEAVENLY! :-P

The apple crisp is definitely best served warm, and topped with some vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. Try your best not to eat the whole dish in one sitting. ;)

1 Jessica @ How Sweet November 8, 2010 at 8:03 am

I love apple crisp. So much better than pie in my opinion! Delish!

2 Lisa @ I'm an Okie November 8, 2010 at 8:17 am

looks a lot like mine! yum!

3 withasideofhope November 8, 2010 at 8:48 am

This apple crisp looks amazing! I totally need to try making this! :)

4 Tes November 8, 2010 at 8:59 am

I just love this simple and delicious apple crisp. I would really love it with vanilla ice-cream, too :)

5 Alicia November 8, 2010 at 9:08 am

Yum! I love apple crisp- this recipe looks perfect!

6 Faith November 8, 2010 at 9:19 am

Apple crisp was the very first recipe I ever made with my mother! I got to stay up extra late on the night we made it so I could help her take it out of the oven and have a slice :) Yours looks so delish!

7 Natalia@TheHealthScript November 8, 2010 at 9:29 am

Yum! I will definitely make that this weekend :)

8 Ashley November 8, 2010 at 9:37 am

Do you have something that cuts your apples so thin and perfect? Or do you just do it by hand with a knife?

9 Courtney November 8, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I use the apple peeler/corer that I linked to at the beginning of the post…it’s fantastic!

10 Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices November 8, 2010 at 9:41 am

Jotting this down now & hoping the make it TONIGHT! It looks SO good!!
Thanks for sharing :) Oh, and I think I’m adding the apple peeler/ corer to my registry!

11 Natalia Baage November 8, 2010 at 10:28 am

I think… if you get time… you should… send all of your blog readers some of your apple crisp! :)
I’m kssing, of course :) But it looks delicious, so I’ll have to try it out :)

12 Liz @ Blog is the New Black November 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Looks great, Court! I made one this weekend, too. Cutting the butter in is def the worst part!!!

13 Katy November 8, 2010 at 1:22 pm

This looks great! Maybe I’ll make it for Thanksgiving. :)

14 Emily November 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Oh my goodness, that apple crisp looks amazing! I think I need to try to make that one :)

Also, I thought of you because price chopper is holding an original cookie contest and you made those amazing caramel apple cookies… you should totally enter them!

15 Courtney November 8, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Hahaha, I actually already submitted them! ;)

16 Jessica @ The Process of Healing November 8, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Holy YUM!! I’m usually a chocolate person but apple crisp is my weakness!

17 Shanna, like Banana November 8, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I have a secret applecrisp recipe that varies from this but my hubby is in love with it!

18 Charlie November 8, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I love apple crisp! It usually lasts at least for two sittings :P.

19 Jessica@tastyandtrim November 9, 2010 at 1:22 am

Oh my gosh that looks so amazing! I definitely need to try whipping some up!

20 Incognito November 9, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Where did you get the butter cutter from? (have no idea what else to call it!!!)
I’m loving your food pages…have you thought of publishing all the recipes (you may already have done so?) as I’d be the first in line to buy…!

Incognito x

21 hunter71 November 9, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I was hoping you could give us the recipe for the pepperoni bread…..I want my mom to make that for me.
Hunter71 http://www.hcrproducts.com

22 Ashley @ Good Taste Healthy Me October 31, 2011 at 8:22 am

mmmm I need to make this!
Ashley @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Snow Came Early

23 Micah May 22, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Hi there I am so delighted I found your website, I really found you
by mistake, while I was browsing on Aol for something else,
Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a incredible post and
a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the awesome work.
Micah recently posted..Micah