Tops is TOPS!

by Courtney on November 10, 2010

Today has definitely been one of those days that is just “GO GO GO” – from 5:30am this morning, until 9:00pm tonight, when we finally walked in the door.

Nonetheless, despite being super busy, it has been rather productive!

Workout

At 5:05am this morning, my alarm was definitely not on my good side. After the second round of “snoozing” I really debated on skipping my AM workout all together. However, I knew I’d be mad at myself if I didn’t get up (since I really didn’t have a good excuse), so I sucked it up and tumbled out of bed. I had already planned on doing the Rock Hard Total Body Workout on Exercise on Demand…I was wicked excited when I found out it was back on! I can already tell I’m going to be sore tomorrow…LOVE that. ;)

Breakfast

An exact repeat from yesterday…so I’m “recycling” yesterday’s photos. :)

The only difference was that BOTH pieces got the pumpkin cream cheese + PB + banana treatment today. It was absolutely fantastic!

So was my Caramel Macchiato coffee. ;)

Lunch

Thanks to my enormous “Tuna & Rice” salad from last night, I had plenty of leftovers to incorporate into today’s lunch:

I took a big ‘ol scoop of leftover salad, along with some leftover roasted veggies, and added a little romaine base for some added bulk. It was just as good the second time around!

I also enjoyed a nice crisp Gala. It was so sweet and juicy…yummmm. :-P

After work began my afternoon of errands…one of which included a flu shot. BLECH. Needles really don’t bother me at all, so it’s not that; it’s more the fact that every year I get a flu shot, I always end up getting “sick” with cold-like symptoms from it a few days later. If it wasn’t for my darn asthma, I don’t know if I’d even get one…keeping my fingers crossed for this year! :shock:

I started feeling a little sluggish this afternoon, so I decided to stop for a little caffeine pick-me-up. It did nothing for my energy, but it still tasted delish.

After finishing up some more errands, Jay and I decided to stop for some dinner. We were out in the Schenectady area, which we aren’t usually near, but I was pretty excited because there’s a restaurant out there I’ve been dying to try: Tops American Grill, Bakery, & Bar.

I thought the inside was so cute! It definitely had a fun, welcoming look to it. And how ‘bout those palm trees? :)

For my dinner, I ended up choosing something totally random: Roast Beef. I can’t even tell you when the last time was that I ordered roast beef. Years, probably.

What I can tell you though, is that I’m so glad I did. It was delicious! Roast beef, provolone, roasted red peppers, lettuce, & tomato in a garlic and herb wrap. It also came with horseradish mayo, which I got on the side.

As good as the wrap was, the sweet potato fries were what stole the show on this plate…

I’m tempted to say that these may be the best sweet potato fries I’ve ever had. As soon as I started eating them, I kept getting this weird taste of “doughnuts” – I mentioned it to Jay, who initially thought I was nuts.

A minute or two later though, and all of a sudden, hubby was on the same page with me! We both agreed that there was definitely a doughnut flavor coming from somewhere inside of these. Incredibly odd? Yes. Gross to some? Maybe. But they were right up my alley.

As soon as you walk through the doors of Tops, you are face-to-face with a mouth-watering display case of homemade desserts. I had been thinking about that case from the second we sat down, so I knew I was not leaving there without some. I decided to save half of my wrap, so I could indulge in a little big slice of heaven:

Oh chocolate, you are so divine.

Jay and I split a piece of their Chocolate Mousse Torte

Which we obviously hated. ;)

I’m so thankful for the fact that I have the day OFF tomorrow! (Thank you, Veterans!) I’m really in need of some extra zzzz’s tonight, and I have a good amount of housework to catch up on tomorrow too. But for now…it’s time to go start on those zzzz’s! :)

Question for the Night:

Have you ever eaten foods that remind you (either taste or smell) of a completely different food?

1 Danielle November 10, 2010 at 10:01 pm

You were at Tops??? Right near my house!!! The BEST breakfast in town!!!!! :)

2 Courtney November 10, 2010 at 10:02 pm

No way! I didn’t know that! :) Gonna have to try it for breakfast now…ohh boy!

3 Liz @ Blog is the New Black November 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm

That cake looks amaaaazing!

4 Faith November 10, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Oooh, I’ll take two of those cakes please :)

5 Shanna November 10, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I have a perfume that reminds me of bananas ;)

6 Sam November 10, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Once I had this lavender tea from the Muddy Cup… it sounded soothing… but I had trouble drinking something that smelled like I should be bathing in or washing my clothes in… I wouldn’t repeat that choice.

7 Nicole (Picky Nicky) November 11, 2010 at 6:37 am

Ohh, I love sweet potato fries! I think those should become the normal ones, and then regular fries should be the more rare ones ;)

8 Alex November 11, 2010 at 8:22 am

Hi there,

I wanted to preface this comment with saying how much I love your blog. I think you are absolutely adorable, and I read your blog regularly.

I have absolutely never had an issue with any comment you’ve made before but the comment “I’m so thankful for the fact that I have the day OFF tomorrow! (Thank you, Veterans!) I’m really in need of some extra zzzz’s tonight, and I have a good amount of housework to catch up on tomorrow too.” kind of irked me. Remembrance Day is something that is near and dear to my heart (my grandfather was a WWII vet, and my father is a long-serving air force member). I guess when I see comments like “yay, day off!” “housework and sleep in” I just kind of feel like it demeans what this day really stand for. Anyways, like I said, I really truly love your blog, I just felt like I wanted to say something.

Take care lovely.

9 Courtney November 11, 2010 at 9:22 am

Hi Alex,
Thank you so much for your comment. I can see where that comment may have come across as insensitive, and I truly respect and appreciate the fact that you said something.
Please know that I certainly do not take for granted why I have today off. My grandfather was also a WWII vet, in addition to some friends of mine who have served, or are currently serving, our country.
Yes, I am still thankful for having a day off, just for the mere sake of being able to catch up on life; but I am even more thankful and appreciative for what today truly stands for.

10 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 11, 2010 at 8:29 am

My BF is obsessed with roast beef, but I’ve never eaten it in my life. My brother told me it was wildebeest when I was a kid and it definitely turned me off, haha.

I WANT THAT CAKE!!

11 Courtney November 11, 2010 at 9:22 am

HAHAHA…wildebeest?!?!?! :shock:

12 Chicago Cuisine Critique November 11, 2010 at 10:27 am

Those sweet potato fries look great!

13 Michelle November 11, 2010 at 10:57 am

I usually force myself to get up out of bed for my morning workouts too–even if I’m tired–because I know otherwise I’ll regret it and be mad at myself later!

14 Jess November 11, 2010 at 11:29 am

I’ve been reading your blog for awhile and I really love it! I just started writing my own, so scary! I like the idea of photo recycling!

15 withasideofhope November 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Those sweet potato fries and the cake look delicious! Mmm!