Perks & Productivity

by Courtney on November 11, 2010

Want to know two of my favorite perks about having a day off from work?

Being able to complete a morning workout NOT at 5:30am, and then being able to cook a delicious breakfast while reading magazines. :)

I made myself a delicious batch of stove-top Pumpkin Oats this morning. I don’t care what anyone says…I can definitely tell a difference between stove-top and microwave oats. They’re just so much creamier! :-P

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • Cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice
  • Cranberries!
  • Tiny scoop almond butter

I’ve had some cranberries leftover in the fridge ever since I made my Cranberry Apple Bread, so I decided to put them to use. I stirred them into the oats in the last minute of cooking, which got them just soft enough without exploding all over the place. ;)

I also got to sip my coffee today out of a regular mug today…not a travel mug! Ahhh the little things. ;)

Workout

Today’s workout was a GOOD one; a little HIIT did the trick today and left me as a nice sweaty mess:

0-4 mins          Warm-up @ 4.0

20 seconds      Sprint @ 9.0

40 seconds      Recover @ 4.5

(Continue 20/40 second intervals for 20 minutes)

24-29 mins       Run @ 6.5

29-33 mins       Cool down @ 4.0

So far today, I have been a very busy bee and still have lots ahead of me! But for now, it’s time to go break for some lunch. :-P

Question for the Afternoon:

Any ideas for what else I can do with my leftover cranberries??? I probably have about 1-2 cups left…

1 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 11, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I absolutely adored days off from teaching! Hope the rest of your day is just as fabulous. :)

2 Imwaytoobusy November 11, 2010 at 1:57 pm

That oatmeal sounds amazing! The last pumpkin oatmeal recipe I tried was a bit bland. This looks much better!

3 Marg November 11, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Jealous I’m not off, but at least traffic is good today!

Make cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving (or now), and freeze it? I just got some to make a pomegranate cranberry sauce.

4 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com November 11, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I am a teacher too but we didn’t get the day off! I am happy for you…I love mornings like that!
I love making turkey with cranberry sauce sandwiches!!

5 movesnmunchies November 11, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Enjoy your day off! sit back and just relax!

6 Nicole (Picky Nicky) November 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Cranberry muffins :) Actually, that’s the only way I’ve ever eaten cranberries so I can’t suggest much more… Is it weird that I’ve never even had cranberry sauce?

7 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] November 11, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I enjoyed a relaxing morning today, too. Yay for school holidays :)

8 chunkylittle.com November 11, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Pumpkin oats sound great! Where did you get them?

9 Jenna November 11, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Pumpkin oats…gotta love the fall taste :)

10 Sana November 11, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I love the 20 sec sprint. I am not sure if I could even last for ten!

11 Charlie November 11, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Stovetop oatmeal is so much better than microwave oatmeal!
You could make cranberry sauce… I made a delicious pumpkin & cranberry bread (http://www.sweetsaltyspicy.net/2010/09/pumpkin-cranberry-bread.html) in September but you did make an apple & cranberry bread last week!

12 briana November 11, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I love to make a cranberry sauce with just some orange juice and honey agave or brown sugar and spices and cook then you have a yummy toast, pancake, oatmeal or even chicken topper!

13 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 11, 2010 at 6:55 pm

How about making homemade cranberry sauce? Soooo much better than the stuff in a can :)

14 emilieviolet November 11, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Try to make Ina Garten’s cranberry orange scones! I heard they were amazing :) I think you can find the recipe on foodnetwork.com… Yum, I love cranberries!