The Decision Has Been Made

by Courtney on November 16, 2010

The plans have been finalized…

The deposit has been put down…

It’s time to REMODEL A KITCHEN!!

I am SO EXCITED to get this project started. As much as I’ve loved being able to cook in the same kitchen that my grandmother did for so many years, I’m definitely ready to make this space my own. It is, of course, the room I probably spend the most time in in this house! ;)

Here’s a sneak peek at what’s to come!

Before (now):

AFTER! :-D

Before:

AFTER! :-D

Before:

AFTER! :-D

Since the cabinets take about 2-3 weeks to come in, Jay and I have A LOT of work to get done in the mean time. In order to cut costs, we’re taking care of most of the demo work, which we’re planning to start in the next couple of days…it should be interesting!

Hopefully you’ll all follow me on my journey of attempting to come up with yummy, healthy meals…without a kitchen! :shock:

Question for the Day:

Have you ever done any remodeling in your home?

Any tips or advice to give? Perhaps some easy, “no-cook” recipes??? ;)

1 Di @ http://thetreadmilldiaries.com/ November 16, 2010 at 8:16 am

How exciting – I think home improvement projects are so much fun (even if a bit inconvenient while underway). I’m sure you’ll love your new kitchen.

The last 2 big projects at our place were landscaping our yard and tiling our bathrooms. Money very well spent. Maybe you could use a crockpot or microwave in another room for quick dinners.

2 Jaclyn (Ananda Prana) November 16, 2010 at 8:27 am

Ohhh how exciting! I’m sure it’s going to turn out beautifully :)

My parents are really big on DIY so they have redone rooms in most of the houses we lived in growing up. Counter tops and backsplash are always super fun to pick out!

3 Charlie November 16, 2010 at 8:35 am

This is so exciting! The plans look great :).
I love these open-faced sandwiches when I can’t cook:

When I was living in dorms, I often made salads. My favorite was with spinach, avocado, orange & smoked salmon & a dressing made of orange juice, oil and vinegar.

4 CaSaundra November 16, 2010 at 8:42 am

Oo how exciting..can’t wait to see how the progress goes, and of course the end result!!

5 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 16, 2010 at 8:59 am

SO jealous! I would love to remodel our kitchen. It’s the one part of the house we didn’t get to. We redid our ENTIRE upstairs. Like, completely gutted and having to do plumbing, electricity, etc. We did it all ourselves too. While I was pregnant with M. Talk about a deadline and stressful!

6 Chicago Cuisine Critique November 16, 2010 at 9:40 am

Good luck! I can’t wait to see the finished product.

7 leashieloo November 16, 2010 at 9:49 am

How fun! I wish we were remodeling the kitchen, it looks like it’s going to be awesome!

8 Lisa @ I'm an Okie November 16, 2010 at 10:22 am

Exciting!! Have fun doing it!

9 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] November 16, 2010 at 10:22 am

we remodeled our kitchen, and we did it ourselves. when you can pick out every piece and put it together, you see the finished product really differently. :)

10 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] November 16, 2010 at 10:23 am

oh tip, if you are buying the supplies yourself, home depot honors lowes coupons, as well as orchard supply coupons. they basically take whatever equivalent store is out there and honor their coupons. it helps because they are generally lower-priced and then you can tack on the additional % off.

11 Shanna, like Banana November 16, 2010 at 10:37 am

What if you get out your crockpot and do your ‘cooking’ in the dining room ;)

12 Ashley November 16, 2010 at 10:56 am

Even more ‘rustic’ than remodeling– we lived in the (half-finished!) basement of our old house while the upstairs was being finished. All I had to work with was a big electric griddle, a microwave and a toaster oven.

You would be surprised at how much you can do without a full kitchen. Especially if you have time to make and freeze some items ahead of time, like chili and soups. The main thing we couldn’t have was pasta, but we still managed eggs and turkey bacon, rice, chicken, etc. Big salads are your savior too.

13 Karen November 16, 2010 at 11:23 am

I agree with the Crockpot comment above. It’s a lifesaver when you don’t have access to a full kitchen for cooking!

14 justjac November 16, 2010 at 11:30 am

Congrats that’s so exciting! Can’t wait to see the finished product. :D

15 Jess November 16, 2010 at 11:37 am

We remodeled our kitchen a few years ago- and it was so so worth it!

16 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Ah congrats on making your decision!! My parents redid our kitchen when I was in middle school and even though it’s a pain, it’s so worth it!

17 erica November 16, 2010 at 2:03 pm

how exciting!!!
we remodeled our kitchen, but it was during our entire condo remodel, so we were never actually living in there while it was being done.

very excited for you!

18 Amy November 16, 2010 at 3:54 pm

How exciting. I can’t wait to see all the pictures. I’d def be doing lots of crockpot cooking and eating out.

19 The Scene From Me November 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Wow, so exciting. A new kitchen will bring a new dimension to your cooking! Looking forward to the real “after” pictures!

20 Jenna November 16, 2010 at 7:25 pm

that is so exciting!!!!! my dream kitchen would have dark cabinets like that. good luck with the demo work :)

21 SkinnyRunner November 16, 2010 at 7:47 pm

we remodeled our kitchen and did most of the work ourselves to save money too, its a headache to live with it but sure does make the remodel a lot cheaper!

22 Liz @ LBBakes November 16, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Ah, how exciting! I say you mooch off your parents and have them prep meals for you guys :)

23 LiveForTheRun November 16, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Well you are going to love it! Kitchen remodels are the pits, but totally, totally worth it. Just went through one with my parents, it turned out awesome. How fun!

24 onehungrymonster November 16, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Last year in my old house I re did my bathroom (well I didn’t, a professional did), it took about 2 wks, it wasn’t so bad, the main problem I had was all the mess, I am abit of a neat freak, if you can get over the mess you will be fine. Plus it is all worth it in the end.
I guess the microwave will be you best friend for a while.