How I Beat Boredom On The Treadmill

by Courtney on December 20, 2010

Thanks to some tummy troubles, my appetite has been a little off today. :oops: I’m pretty sure I probably have my super-duper sugar intake as of late, plus the joys of being a lady to thank for today’s discomfort. Ahh well…life goes on!

I started things off with a little cereal combo: Quaker Oatmeal Squares + Fantastically Festive me & goji mix + skim milk.

Along with my cereal & mug-o-joe, I also brought a perfectly ripe banana, which I snacked on mid-morning.

By the time lunch rolled around, I really didn’t have too much of an appetite, yet I could feel my stomach grumbling…does anyone else ever get that feeling? It’s a weird one!

An always delicious pineapple flavored Chobani, topped with some Kashi Heart to Heart + granola

Carrot sticks, red peppers, & grape tomatoes…all of which are on their last leg. :shock:

And an also-sad-looking pear which, despite it’s rather “homely” appearance, tasted quite fantastic.

By the time I got home from work, all I really wanted to do was curl up on the couch in a ball while watching TV. However, something was telling me that I should really try to get moving. I weighed the pros and cons of skipping the workout, and of course, the cons totally outweighed the pros…it was a simple case of me just being lazy. :roll:

So I threw on the workout clothes, grabbed my iPod, and hopped onto the treadmill. I wasn’t feelin’ any HIIT workouts today, so I decided to just go for a steady, 3-mile run.

Now, steady for me is never one set speed. No matter what, I just cannot run at one speed. Even if it’s just a matter of varying the speeds from 6.0 – 7.5, I still have to do it. Here’s an example, which is what I did today:

Minutes Speed (mph)
19-21 6.0
21-23 7.0
23-25 6.5
25-27 7.5
27-28 6.5
28-32 4.0

By alternating my speeds every 2 minutes, it gives me mini goals of something to work towards. For me, it makes the time go by much quicker! Maybe it will do the same for you?!? :)

I was definitely glad that I got up and moving, because it helped a little with the tummy troubles and eventually got my appetite nice and ready for dinner. On the menu tonight?

Turkey & Cheese Panini!

I first coated the bread slices with some Eggplant Garlic Spread, and then topped it off with deli turkey and some fontina cheese that I picked up at the grocery store this weekend.

I’d never bought fontina cheese before, but I can certainly say this will not be the last time! Fontina is absolutely perfect for melting on panini sandwiches…just look at that oozing cheese! :-P

A little added veggie bulk…

‘Twas delicious! :-D

I’m feeling I may need a little lovin’ from a special man later this evening…

His name is Gingerbread. ;)

Question for the Evening:

How do you usually vary your treadmill runs/walks? Do you stay at one pace, or do you like to vary your speed?

1 Debbie B. December 20, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I get SO bored on the treadmill. It’s always hard to switch to indoor runs once it gets cold out. I HAVE to switch up the speeds and tempos. I usually do it in 5 minute circuits … it takes my mind off of running on the treadmill … otherwise I just want to stop!

2 erica December 20, 2010 at 8:07 pm

i used to alternate inclines but now i’m attempting the couch to 5k, so i’m not alternating speeds.

having a tv with something interesting to watch also helps! ;p

3 erica December 20, 2010 at 8:08 pm

*now….not “not!

4 megan @ the oatmeal diaries December 20, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Totally forgot how much I loove Quaker Oat Squares! Your gingerbread men are so cute :)

5 Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 20, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Your pannini looks awesome!

6 Amy @ Second City Randomness December 20, 2010 at 8:30 pm

For the treadmill, I’m pretty boring and just progressively up the speed slowly. But because the elliptical bores me to death, I like to go up and down often with the resistance. Along with pedalling backwards every 5 or 6 minutes… weeee!

7 Jess December 20, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Intervals on the treadmill and elliptical definitely keep me interested!

8 Erin December 20, 2010 at 9:56 pm

That’s definitely smart to alternate speeds. I find myself getting really bored during stationary workouts, which is why I’m loving classes so much recently.

9 Corey @ the runners cookie December 20, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I am pretty hit or miss with the treadmill! If I’m either distracted with a great show/movie OR varying my speed to keep things interesting, usually I’m okay, but some days I dread the thought of running in place, so I just run outside or do something else :)

10 Katy December 20, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I hate the treadmil. Today for example, I kept ticking down the distance until I was done. When I run outside, I don’t want to stop. But put me on a treadmill, and I can’t WAIT to stop!

11 Emily December 21, 2010 at 12:08 am

sooo glad you liked the gingerbread men! you have to try to make them, they’re super easy :) I just made another batch tonight for my mom’s office party, but I’m saving some to nibble on myself… haha

12 movesnmunchies December 21, 2010 at 2:07 am

i do get very bored on the treadmill so i think i will be trying this next time!! it def sounds like it will make the time fly by!

13 vvvv December 21, 2010 at 3:49 am

excuse me! kashi is japanese food?

14 Jess December 21, 2010 at 7:18 am

I just love reading your blog! Glad to see how you switch it up on the treadmill.. I think I’ll try the 2 minute swircheroo and see if the time goes by faster.

15 Katie G December 21, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I’m not a huge treadmill fan because I do get bored, but I love the elliptical. I do the elliptical a few days a week in the morning before work at my gym and SAVE my magazine subscriptions only for elliptical time so I am usually excited to work out and get some reading in at the same time!

16 Annie December 22, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I have just stumbled upon your corner of the blog world so I thought I’d say hello, oh and totally agree with mixing up treadmill workouts I am such a clock watcher on the treadmill I need to change the pace every now and then just to keep me sane!!!