First Timers At The Melting Pot

by Courtney on December 31, 2010

Jay and I had such a fun night out last night! :)

We first met up with Brian & Mal for dinner at The Melting Pot. It was a first time visit for all of us, so we weren’t quite sure what to expect…all we knew is that we were ready to eat some fondue.

We decided not to do their Big Night Out four-course meal, (because we didn’t want to feel like we needed to be rolled out of the place) so we decided on having cheese, salads, and chocolate. Perfect, right? :-P

Jay and I started with the Fondue a la France:

A rich, smooth combination of baby Brie, Fontina, Gruyere, and Raclette cheeses accented with Nueske’s bacon, onions, white-truffle cream, and fresh chives.”

Brian & Mal got the Traditional Swiss Cheese fondue, which was also delicious.

IMG_7362IMG_7365

Next came some salads…just a house salad, which I got with sweet and tangy vinaigrette on the side.

It really wasn’t the best salad I’ve ever had, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to add some extra veggies to the meal. :)

The four of us sat and chat for quite a while before our dessert menu was even given to us to look at. We didn’t mind though, since we were having such a good time!

Me & Mal

Brian & Jay

IMG_7376IMG_7374

Eventually it was chocolate time, and I was READY. Bring it on! ;)

Brian & Mal stuck with The Original, while Jay and I chose the Flaming Turtle.

Jay and I both totally loved this fondue…even if our waiter did forget to bring the chopped pecans to the table. :shock:

LOOK at these dippers!!

I don’t know if I could pick a favorite, but the Rice Krispie treats were pretty much the bomb. Yes, that’s right I said it…the bomb.

Everything was SOOOO good!! :-P

After dinner, we went back to Brian & Mal’s place just to hang out a little longer. For this boys, this also meant it was time to fire up the Wii…

…and play Toejam & Earl, which apparently is an old Nintendo game that I’ve never, ever played???

This led to a long talk about all of our old-school video game favorites. For me, it was the original Nintendo that had a lot of my favorites:

• Track & Field
  • Paperboy
  • Tetris
  • Contra
  • Life Force

Ahh, memories! I wonder if that old Nintendo is still at my parents’ house…hmmmm. ;)

Time to go get a jump on my day…starting with my last workout of 2010!

**Questions for the Morning (2 for ya today!):

What were some of your favorite old-school video games?

What are you doing for New Years Eve?

1 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 31, 2010 at 9:49 am

I haven’t had Melting Pot in sooooo long. Their dessert fondue is about all I remember of it. Delicious!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..I Just Had to…

2 Blog is the New Black December 31, 2010 at 9:55 am

I’ve never tried the MP. Tina (CNC) just blogged about her bad experience, so I’m glad yours was better. EVerything looks awesome- what a fun date!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Now Dip- Baby- Dip!

3 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 31, 2010 at 10:19 am

Wow that place looks awesome! And was that cheesecake for DIPPING?! Insane!
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Running- Shopping- Eating

4 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 31, 2010 at 10:26 am

I haven’t gone to The Melting Pot in a long time! So much fun! :)

Right now my NYE plans are to hit the clubs with my friends, but I’m not much of the clubbing type so I may bail out. ;)
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

5 Pat Rowe December 31, 2010 at 10:49 am

I still have the Nintendo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Favorite games: Tetris, original Mario Brothers, Contra, Mario 3, RBI Baseball…………aaaah, such memories : )

6 Kristin December 31, 2010 at 11:12 am

That is so funny! My roommate and I just hooked up a Wii in our apartment last night so we could get Netflix and of course play Mario- haha. My favorite is Super Mario #3 for sure :o) Looks like you guys had a fun night, Happy New Year!
Kristin recently posted..Hangover Help

7 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) December 31, 2010 at 11:34 am

I remember those games! I loved Paperboy!!!!
I’ve never been to a fondue restaurant before. :)
Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) recently posted..1398

8 Karen December 31, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I do love the Melting Pot. The cheese & chocolate are the best of course. We might be going there for my birthday on Monday.

My favorite “old school” video games are: Paperboy, Aladdin, Mario, & Sonic

We are actually having a party at our house tonight for NYE. Just got done cleaning and now going for a run because it’s 50 degrees in Chicago…crazy for December 31st.

Have a wonderful & happy New Year!!

9 Sophia @ Raven Waves December 31, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I’m new here! :) Cute blog! My old school favorite video games have to Mortal Kombat (so much fun!) and Mario Party. I miss N64!
Sophia @ Raven Waves recently posted..New Year’s Resolutions for 2011

10 Leashieloo December 31, 2010 at 1:22 pm

LOVE Melting Pot and come to think of it, Old-school Nintendo as well. I still have mine :) My favorite games are Mario 3, The Legend of Zelda, Dr. Mario, Island Adventure, Contra/Double Dragon. Memories!
Leashieloo recently posted..Home Is Whenever I’m With You

11 Thetreadmilldiaries December 31, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I’ve never been to the MP but I’m thinking you can’t go wrong with goodies dipped in cheese or chocolate. Mmm. Glad you had fun and Happy New Year!

12 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 31, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I’ve never been to the melting pot, but I’ve been told two things: 1 – I’d love it, and 2 – it’s hella expensive. Is it really that bad?

13 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) December 31, 2010 at 2:54 pm

SUPER MARIO BROS.. all the way!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..Recipe Love

14 Alyssa Kuminski January 1, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I love the Melting Pot! I didnt know there was an option for just app and dessert though!? I’m not a fan of the middle meal anyways… My boyfriend and I are in Boston right now and he’s never been so maybe I’ll suggest that for dinner!
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..Make it count

15 Kristi January 1, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I LOVE the Melting Pot. It’s my fav restaurant. I think the experience of being able to sit and talk and not be rushed is one of the best parts.
Kristi recently posted..Happy New Year’s

16 Karen January 1, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I love old school Nintendo games!! Paperboy and Tetris were two of my favorite games. I also liked Duck Hunt!
Karen recently posted..Goals for 2011