Low-Fat Crockpot Veggie Stew

by Courtney on January 3, 2011

You guys didn’t really think I’d tease you with a picture of my dinner this morning and not share it with ya’ll tonight, did you?? ;)

I must admit, I was so incredibly glad that I decided to make tonight’s crockpot dinner. It’s never easy heading back to work after 10 days off (well, at least for ME it’s not…) so knowing I had dinner waiting for me was a treat. :)

Jay and I really enjoyed the Burgundy Beef Stew that I made last week, so I decided another stew creation was in order. I didn’t have any beef on hand this time, however, so I just raided the veggie drawer and created a veggie stew!

I actually started prepping the stew last night by chopping up all of my veggies and placing them in the crockpot. (That’s why they may look a little dry…)

IMG_7522IMG_7520

This morning, I simply uncovered the ready-to-go veggies, added some chicken broth and Italian seasoned diced tomatoes,

and some seasonings.

I gave it a quick stir, turned the crockpot on low, and I was out the door!

Nine hours later, I walked through the door only to be greeted with the most amazing aromas roaming in the air. Ahhh, hello dinner! :)

Before serving the stew, I used a similar method that I did for the beef stew to thicken it up; only this time I went with some cornstarch + water.

Twenty minutes later, we had veggie stew!

*Next time I make this, I’m thinking I’ll probably add some sort of protein. Possibly chicken??*

On another positive, and super-exciting note…I’m making progress with the bread machine!

On Saturday night, while our friends Joe & Kate were over visiting, I enlisted Kate’s services with the bread machine (she’s made some amazing bread!). We whipped up a simple loaf of white bread – figured we should keep things easy to start!

IMG_7536IMG_7538

While my loaf still sunk a little bit, it came out of the pan in one piece, so HEY, there’s a HUGE step in the right direction! :-D Jay and I snacked on some yesterday with breakfast, and I knew it would go perfect with tonight’s stew.

And to spread on our bread, I even mixed up a little impromptu herb butter!

IMG_7539IMG_7542

Using about 2 tbsp light whipped butter, I added a dash (no measuring) of:

• garlic powder
  • ground mustard
  • Italian seasoning
  • lemon juice

It turned out pretty good! Heck, everything turned out pretty good! I am a happy camper! ;)

Tonight’s dessert will be another small piece of Wedding Cake, enjoyed while watching the premier of The Bachelor…

Life Is Good :)

Question for the Evening:

Has your 2011 gotten off to a great start?!?

1 vvvv January 3, 2011 at 8:39 pm

i want eat!!!!

2 Erica January 3, 2011 at 8:43 pm

that veggie stew looks so good! i want to go buy a crockpot and make this ASAP!
Erica recently posted..i guess he liked it…

3 Blog is the New Black January 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Vegetable stew looks so hearty and cozy! Great job with the bread.
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Now Dip- Baby- Dip!

4 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 3, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Holy moly, this NEEDS to be my dinner one night this week! Comfort at its finest. And congrats on making headway with the bread – it looks pretty good!
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Champagne White Chocolate Ring Cookies

5 Megan (Braise The Roof) January 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I really need to get a crock pot! I love knowing that I have dinner on its way before I get home from work, especially since I don’t usually get home before 6:45-7ish. Looks great, Courtney! (and belated happy anniversary!)

6 Courtney January 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Thanks, Megan! :)

7 Alyssa Kuminski January 3, 2011 at 10:26 pm

What is up with the girls on the Bachelor this season!? My sister was on it when Jake was the bachelor – and i remember the girls being pretty, fashionable and sweet. Now i feel like they are insane!
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..My NEW New Year

8 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 3, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Mmmm looks GREAT!!!! :) And congrats on the bread! :) Looks delicious!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

9 Allie @ Healthy Balance, Healthy Life January 3, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Yes! I just beat my 1 mile personal record of 8:12 with a 7:22 mile! yayyyy :)
Allie @ Healthy Balance, Healthy Life recently posted..Weight Training by a Beginner For Beginners- Video Edition

10 Courtney January 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Wow! Way to go!

11 Chelsey Lindahl January 3, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I use a similar method to make soups, but haven’t tried a stew yet! This looks delicious. I love the idea of adding cornstarch and water at the end to thicken it up a bit. Thanks!
Chelsey Lindahl recently posted..New blog features!

12 CaSaundra January 4, 2011 at 8:40 am

Oo this sounds perfect for the below zero weather we’ve been having!

13 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 4, 2011 at 9:51 am

That stew looks delicious! And I love that it can be left during the day! I might try that with vegetable broth and maybe tofu for protein…? :)
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..2011 goals and your feedback neeeded!

14 Whitney January 4, 2011 at 11:00 am

Did you LOVE the Bachelor!?!?!? I am already hooked! Stew looks very tasty! Job well done! :)

15 Courtney January 4, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I actually didn’t end up watching it! LOL :oops:

16 Nat January 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Mmmm, that looks delicious… I need a crockpot.

17 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) January 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm

um yummy! this looks so easy yet delicious!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..Not Just Another Resolutions Post

18 Morgan March 21, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I tried the stew, it is DELICIOUS! I used beef stock instead of chicken broth and didn’t use the parsnips.. mmm mmm good.