The Workout That Wasn’t

by Courtney on January 6, 2011

Well, today was day two of no exercise…

I know, I know…some people are probably giving me a big one of these :roll: and maybe some of you are even giving me one of these :shock:

I ended up taking a rest day yesterday due to some extreme stomach discomfort. (If you chatted with me on Twitter, you know what I’m talkin’ about) ;)

Today, the stomach discomfort continued, however it’s the asthma that has me laying low…

As you may have read earlier this week, my asthma has been acting up quite a bit lately. It tends to get worse at night, often resulting in being awaken by chest tightness, coughing, and wheezing. Well, last night things were tough; and by tough, I mean “couldn’t catch my breath, had hubby wanting to drive me to the hospital,” tough.

Not exactly my ideal way to wake up in the middle of the night, if ya know what I mean!

So I took the inhaler again, attempted to drift back off to sleep sitting up, and did the rest of my whole “asthma attack” routine. Needless to say, when the alarm went off at 5:15 for my morning workout…I immediately moved it up an hour and went back to sleep. No workout happenin’ this morning.

I called my doc and she was able to get me in this afternoon, which resulted in a brand new, snazzy inhaler.

I really wanted to try to stay away from the daily inhaler, but for now I’ll give it a go. Whatever helps me sleep through the night will be my friend at this point! Fingers crossed that it helps…that, and the Metamucil samples I was also given. ;)

Well geez, wasn’t that a downer of a beginning! Sorry folks, no worries…I’m alive and kickin’! :-D

Breakfast

Today’s morning meal was super delish!

• Chobani plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin
  • 1/2 sliced banana
  • Tiny squeeze of honey
  • Cinnamon & Pumpkin Pie spice

I actually did have everything neatly placed in my container, but it didn’t survive the drive into work. Oops. :)

IMG_7588IMG_7591

Time to add the toppings!!

• 1/2 slice homemade pumpkin bread
  • 1/4 cup Kashi Heart to Heart
  • small handful granola

IMG_7593IMG_7599

Lunch

I got lazy with lunch, and didn’t snap any of my mid-day meal, BUT…

I can recycle photos! ;)

I enjoyed the last of my leftover veggie stew, along with a nice crisp golden delicious apple, a slice of bread, and the other half of my chocolate chip cookie dough larabar.

I was also greeted by one of my fellow pumpkin-lovin’ co-workers today with this little gem:

IMG_7596IMG_7598

Yes, that is pumpkin spice caramel.

Yes, I’m absolutely amazed that I’ve managed to still save it until tonight.

Yes, I’m probably going to grab it as soon as I finish typing this post. ;)

Dinner

I kept things pretty easy-peasy tonight…

A turkey, lettuce, tomato, & pickle sandwich with honey mustard on potato bread.

Plus half of a red bell pepper + hommus on the side.

Not too much more to report on the kitchen front tonight…

Our cabinet installer did come back this morning to finish up with the rest of the molding…

And since I was given the go-ahead last night to stock my wall cabinets, I made sure to get right to work!

“Why, hello there baking products. I know, I know. It has been far too long…soon enough, we will meet again. Until then, welcome to your new home.” :)

ACTUALLY, word has it that cooking could begin taking place again as early as tomorrow as long as all goes well with the new oven hookup! Can I get a WOOT WOOT?!? :-D

Question for the Night:

What should be the FIRST thing I cook/bake tomorrow?!? I have too many ideas…I need your advice! :)

1 fsugirl! January 6, 2011 at 8:04 pm

COOKIES!!! Hope you feel better, Courtney,I need my favorite blogger! :D

2 Courtney January 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Haha, thank youuuu!! :)

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Have you ever taken Singulair for asthma? I’ve been on it for about 10 years now and it changed my life. I am able to do so much that I never thought I could do before – like run 10+ miles. I’ve never tried Advair. I hope it helps b/c I really feel you on this. This time of year is almost always when my asthma acts up (Nov-Feb) then in the summer.
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Crockpot Cooking Perfect When Feeling Crummy

4 Courtney January 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I’m actually taking Singulair right now. It made a WORLD of difference and was my one saving grace for being able to keep our furball, Cody! Unfortunately, the Singulair doesn’t seem to be enough these days…hopefully the Advair helps.

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 6, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed for you!

6 fsugirl! January 6, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I don’t have asthma, but Singulair was AMAZING for my allergies :D

7 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Cookies! Or cupcakes! Cupcake cookies?!

I think you’ll like Advair – I used to take the 250/50 one and it worked great. If the 100/50 doesn’t work, see if they can give you a higher dose.
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Guest Post- White Chocolate Mini Chip Peanut Butter Cups

8 Anna @ Blissful Whimsy January 6, 2011 at 8:17 pm

That’s so scary having a hard enough time breathing to consider the hospital. Glad you’re ok. I was on singulair for a while and it just didn’t work out. I’ve been on advair for years and it’s great. The only part I don’t like is my body has become incredibly dependent on it. I hope to get off it someday but it really does work wonders. Hope it’s as helpful for you :o)
Anna @ Blissful Whimsy recently posted..Twinkling Lights

9 Courtney January 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm

That’s what I’m worried about…

10 Anna @ Blissful Whimsy January 6, 2011 at 9:52 pm

i’m on the lowest dosage and determined to stay there though. I’m so thankful for it though and plan on just slowly getting off of it. I’ve hear ivy leaf is good for asthma (is in a vitamin form). I plan on starting with it. I’ll let you know if it works :o)
Anna @ Blissful Whimsy recently posted..Twinkling Lights

11 Blog is the New Black January 6, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Sorry your ashtma is bugging ya…. make some kind of cupcakes, or cake… well, any of your desserts are legit! ;)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Cranberry Oat Scones

12 Stefanie January 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Oh boy, I hope you start feeling back to normal soon! :) As for baking, I think you should bake some fabulous cupcakes! And share the recipe. ;)

13 Cynthia (It All Changes) January 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I had Advair at my worst asthma. It worked well and I’m back at to just a rescue again.

14 Courtney @ Simply Sorority January 6, 2011 at 8:32 pm

You’re not alone! I took yesterday and today off from working out also! Although I don’t really have a valid reason, other than that work has been crazy lately!

And you should definitely make cupcakes! Celebrate have cupboards with cupcakes – it makes sense!
Courtney @ Simply Sorority recently posted..Kappa Delta – Ornament Swap

15 Maggie January 6, 2011 at 8:42 pm

This is the first time I’ve posted, but I love your blog. Just wanted to let you know that I have mild asthma, and I was prescribed Advair last year when I got pneumonia. I used it for about a month and it worked wonders. Luckily, I only needed it for that short time and I didn’t find it too difficult to stop using it. I hope it’s as easy for you. Good luck.

16 Courtney January 6, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Hi, Maggie! Thanks!
And thanks so much for sharing that…very good to know :)

17 Meredith January 6, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Hi Courtney,
This is my first time commenting…but I’ve been a reader for a while. Your kitchen looks great already…beautiful cabninet choice! Make your granola bar blondies…I made them last month for my co-workers and they are STILL talking about them!Thanks for the ideas, and feel better :)
Meredith recently posted..Quick Cornbread Casserole

18 Sarah January 6, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Hello! I love you blog and check it frequently during my “prep hour”! I am also a teacher (high school). Your new kitchen looks great! I usually just copy some of your recipes but when I saw that you were having asthma issues, I thought of a tip (maybe you have already done this though!)
My husband is a handy man and whenever we do home projects, my allergies act up and I have even developped bronchitis. We realized the problem was that all of the old drywall and dirt was getting trapped in the furnace filter. Once he cleaned out the filter and changed it, I could breathe easy again. Totally random tip but might be causing you problems too!

19 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 6, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Sorry to hear about your asthma. :( That’s rough!

But yay for stocking the cabinets! :D :D :D Can’t wait to see what you bake!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

20 Holly January 6, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Hey Court- good luck with all of the asthema stuff. I know it really sucks- Craig has it too :( That is why we can’t own any animals- which is another HUGE bummer. I’m hoping that the new medicine will work very well for you & relieve you of your symptoms.
As for what you should bake….mmmmm….well, I was thinking that I really want to make your hearty oat loaf this weekend! :) & you know what else you could bake?? your AWESOME apple crisp!!
Holly recently posted..Stuffed Like Sausages!

21 vvvv January 6, 2011 at 10:55 pm

hahaha i like sandwich!

your kitchen so wonderful!

22 Hannah L. (Hannah Lives) January 7, 2011 at 2:11 am

I hope the advair helps, and that you start to feel better! I’ve also got asthma and was really successful on Flovent. I used it before 6 months, and then found I didn’t need it daily anymore. And now I only use my rescue inhaler prior to heavy cardio. So I hope you find something that works for you!

As for what to cook/bake first. I suggest a recipe you are really familiar with. Don’t do anything new the first time because with a new oven you don’t know if it will be calibrated correctly right off the bat. I had the unfortunate experience of bakign my first cheesecake in a new oven, and had the worst time dealing with regulating the temp and hot spots. I haven’t made a cheesecake since, because it was such a hassle!
Hannah L. (Hannah Lives) recently posted..It Ends Today

23 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) January 7, 2011 at 3:41 am

ooo something big.. like a great big cheesecake, cake, ice cream cake.. pie!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..Not Just Another Resolutions Post

24 Jennie January 7, 2011 at 7:17 am

Something that requires a ton of counter space, just because! lol

25 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 7, 2011 at 8:27 am

Ahhh so exciting about the cabinets!! I’d bake something simple and signature. Nothing that you’ve never tried- you want the first batch to be memorable!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Foiled

26 Kristi January 7, 2011 at 9:59 am

I would totally make your Cookie Dough Cupcakes-I made them once and everyone loved it-no worries I totally gave you credit :)

27 Chicago Cuisine Critique January 7, 2011 at 10:40 am

I love your new stove! I can’t wait to see your finished kitchen. So exciting that it’s almost done.

28 Alyssa Kuminski January 7, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I think you should make a brownie ice cream pie!! What better to break in the new kitchen with ice cream and chocolate!?
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..Food Toy