Double Date Night & A Cookie Bar Recipe

by Courtney on January 9, 2011

Yikes! How terrible of me…I promised you all a recipe yesterday and I didn’t deliver! Surprised smile

Well, Jay and I set out yesterday afternoon to run the errands that we needed to take care of, but things took a little longer than we anticipated and we never made it back home before our double date night plans!

Yup, double Date Night! Open-mouthed smile

We were first invited over to Joe & Kate’s place for dinner, where we were greeted with some amazing smelling chicken tacos!

And they were healthy chicken tacos to boot! Thumbs up

I enjoyed two mini whole wheat tortillas, filled with (hidden) black beans, taco-seasoned chicken, lettuce, salsa, cheese, and homemade guacamole.

Kate actually made her guacamole using equal parts of diced avocado and cucumber, which helps cut back on the fat. Very delicious, and very similar to my healthified guacamole, too! I had some extra guac along with some blue corn chips and a side of Spanish rice.

Yumm!

After dinner, the four of us made our way out to the Albany Devils hockey game.

This is the game that I actually bought Jay the tickets for for our “Paper” anniversary. I had checked with Joe ahead of time to see if they’d be interested in joining us, and the plan was a GO!

IMG_7648IMG_7650

YAY for double Date Nights!!!

Thank goodness we were in a box that had a TV in it so we could watch the Jets game…otherwise we may have had to leave the hockey game early to go watch. Winking smile

So after the hockey game was over, we went back to Joe and Kate’s to watch the rest of the game. All I can say is…

GOOOOO JETS!!! Open-mouthed smile

******************************

Alright, so how ‘bout that recipe?!? Winking smile

On Friday, we officially got our stove back up and working and I was determined to bake something. Granted, it still is not easy, since we have no countertops or sinks, but I had to attempt at least one goody!

I attempted to make a healthier version of an oatmeal raisin cookie bar, which turned out pretty good for the most part. They were a little bit drier than normal, which I attribute to reducing the butter. But otherwise, they have really good flavor!

If I were to make these again (which I probably will) I might try to add in a little applesauce, as well as reduce the amount of oats in the bars. If you decide to give them a try, feel free to mess around with the ingredients…if you come up with a winner, let me know! Open-mouthed smile

I may feel the need to attempt to bake something else today…we’ll see where the day brings me!

Question for the Day:

What are your favorite “healthy substitutions” when baking or cooking?

1 She Rocks Fitness January 9, 2011 at 10:34 am

Love the new set up of your blog! That game was so AWESOME last night! I was watching at a bar with friends and totally thought they were done. So happy for the Jets and next weekend should be interesting. Enjoy your weekend!

2 Kristi January 9, 2011 at 11:13 am

Butterscotch.. love it. I’m definitely going to mark this as a must try. :) Looks like you had a great date night. I love going to hockey games, but haven’t been in so long.
Kristi recently posted..The best way to start off my day

3 Jennie January 9, 2011 at 11:23 am

I’ve been making Mama Pea’s single chin double chocolate brownies for parties and such, and they use applesauce instead of oil. I can’t taste a difference, and they always come out super moist! I think that’s my favorite substitution by far. :)
Jennie recently posted..Disney World Half Marathon Review!

4 Amy B @ Second City Randomness January 9, 2011 at 11:34 am

The homemade guac looks soooo good. I’m usually too lazy to actually make guac, but anything avocado-related makes me happy. :)
Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..100 Words Saturday- Anti-Social Edition

5 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 9, 2011 at 11:52 am

That looks yummy! :)

My favourite substitution is applesauce for oil. It doesn’t work well in ALL recipes, but in so many it makes the texture even better! :D
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..The new face of Mule Bars

6 Stefanie January 9, 2011 at 11:57 am

I love subbing applesauce and Greek yogurt to healthify recipes! Your granola bars sound fab! Bet it feels great to have at least some of your kitchen back! :)

7 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 9, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I always substitute half the white flour for a more whole-grain one. And I’m the queen of flax eggs!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Hummus Yummus

8 Amanda @ Fashionably Plate January 9, 2011 at 1:01 pm

When cooking, I try to substitute healthy ingredients but when I’m baking I usually use the regular stuff! I think living a healthy lifestyle and keeping up with physical fitness allows for a little indulgence..or at least that is what I tell myself!

Love your blog!
Amanda @ Fashionably Plate recently posted..Regaining my Balance

9 Courtney January 9, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Love your outlook! :)

10 Emily January 9, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Oh yum! Those tacos and those oatmeal bars look amazing :) I can’t wait for your kitchen to finally be done so we can have a baking date togetherrrrr!
Emily recently posted..A Much Needed Day Off

11 Kristin January 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I love going to watch hockey, so much fun! Those bars look delicious, I’m definitely going to try making them this week. I like using applesauce in place of oil, I can never tell the difference!
Kristin recently posted..Blackberry Stuffed French Toast with a Side of Yoga

12 Blog is the New Black January 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Oooooh, I love the idea of subbing some cukes for part of the ‘cado! Good call!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Guest Post- Lauren of Keep It Sweet

13 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 9, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Hey Court -
I like the new recipe ‘card’. Is that a plug-in…?
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..Rise ‘n’ Shine

14 Courtney January 9, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Yup! It’s called “Print This”