Twice-Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

by Courtney on January 10, 2011

Some days, my alarm will go off and I am ready to go. Ready to tackle my day, ready to take on what’s ahead of me. Other days, my alarm goes off and I feel completely disoriented…well today was one of those days. Confused smile

I had no idea why my alarm was going off, what time it was, or even what day it was. To be honest, I still thought it was the weekend! So coming to the realization that it was not only Monday morning, but 5:15 on a Monday morning was a total buzz kill. A couple hits of the snooze button later, and reality had struck for good.

Ahh well, it was time to tackle the day…and get started with a workout.

Workout

I did a little strength training, thanks to the 10lb. Slimdown BLAST workout, and then followed it up with a quick 10 minutes of running on the treadmill. I probably could have done more if it wasn’t for the numerous snoozes. Winking smile

Breakfast

I had a strong hankering for peanut butter this morning! But since the beloved goods are not allowed at school, breakfast was consumed at home.

I lightly toasted a Weight Watchers bagel, and topped it with some PB & banana slices.

Suuuuuuper tasty, and definitely hit the spot!

Lunch

Ohhh, hello Monday Usual…nice to see you again!

What can I say, I’m a creature of habit – hence my goal to be more spontaneous.

Today’s yogurt bowl included a vanilla flavored Chobani, mixed with some fresh cantaloupe, blueberries, and the other 1/2 of my banana from breakfast.

I was totally bummed when I realized I forgot my granola, but this little guy made up for what was lacking. Smile

Dinner

After work, I headed back to the grocery store to pick up a few items for tonight’s dinner. To be honest, I’d been pretty excited about these Twice-Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes all day after finding the recipe last night in my magazine.

So I started out by scrubbing up a few sweet potatoes

And of course, before popping them into the oven, I poked ‘em with a fork to let the big guys vent.

While they were cooking away, I got the rest of my ingredients prepped and ready to go.

The prep for this recipe really couldn’t be much simpler. All you need to do is toss all of your ingredients in a bowl and mix!

Once the potatoes are cooked, cut them in half and scoop the insides into the bowl with the rest of your ingredients.

IMG_7698-1

**One note of advice…

Make sure your potatoes are thoroughly cooked!!

I, apparently, was a little impatient with my taters, and took them out a little premature. If you couldn’t already tell by the way my “scooped out insides” looked above, you can totally tell by my annihilated skins here…

IMG_7697-1

Total bummer. Sad smile

I decided I wasn’t going to let the look of my potato “boats” get the best of me, and went to work on the insides instead. I attempted to heat the mixture up in the microwave a little longer, but it really wasn’t enough.

Ahh well…can’t stop now!

So I filled my boats, popped ‘em back in the oven, and hoped for the best.

IMG_7699-1IMG_7700-1

Not too shabby!

IMG_7701-1

To go with the stuffed sweet potatoes, I roasted up some cauliflower – just a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika did the trick.

IMG_7704-1

So the verdict on the potatoes?

The flavor of these things totally rocked, but they definitely needed to be cooked longer. My fault.

IMG_7706-1

I loved how you could taste the subtle hints of each of the ingredients it had – a little broccoli here, a hint of dill there, a savory bite of feta every now and then.

IMG_7707-1IMG_7708-1

I definitely think I’ll make these again…I’ll just be a little more patient while they’re in the oven. Winking smile

IMG_7705-1

I’d definitely recommend this recipe to anyone, so if you happen to try it and cook them long enough, let me know how they turn out!

Question for the Evening?

What was your last cooking “fail?”

1 Charlie January 10, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Everything I love is in these sweet potatoes (beginning with the sweet potatoes ;)). Definitely a recipe I need to try!
I’m always impatient when I bake sweet potatoes. I need to find something to do in order not to stay besides the oven, waiting :P.
Charlie recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie Challenge

2 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Mmmm looks and sounds delicious!!! :D

3 Julie @SavvyEats January 10, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I LOVE my dad’s twice-baked potatoes, but have never made them myself… and have never had them with sweet potatoes. Hmmmmm….will have to try soon!
Julie @SavvyEats recently posted..Perfection in a Mug

4 Emily January 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I totally was having one of those mornings/days too… I had jury duty and got picked :( ughhhh

Sweet potatoes take FOREVER to bake. I put one in the oven for forty minutes the other night and it *still* wasn’t completely cooked. Those toppings look fantastic though :D I have been making sweet potato fries more because they take less time to cook.
Emily recently posted..A Much Needed Day Off

5 Stephanie @cookinfanatic January 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm

love using Chobani as a replacement to traditional ingredients in dishes like this – in fact i made a green chile tortilla pie tonight with Cho as well! these potatoes look great – i’ve never combined sweet potatoes with feta but i bet it’s delicious!
Stephanie @cookinfanatic recently posted..Yesterday I Did This…

6 Brenda @Year 25 January 10, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Oh my gosh, those potatoes look delicious! I am putting them on my weekly menu for next week. : )
Brenda @Year 25 recently posted..Sous-Chef In The House

7 Courtney January 11, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Let me know what you think! :)

8 Blog is the New Black January 11, 2011 at 6:57 am

Looks great, Court! Those have been on my “to make” list for a long time. Cooking fail… I have a lot of those! ;) Too many to pick!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..BBQ Chicken Pizza

9 Autumn @ Good Eats Girl January 11, 2011 at 8:09 am

I wish that I liked sweet potatoes more because those look amazing!!! I may have to try them again because those look delish!

My cooking fails usually come while baking…it seems like I am always starting over when it comes to cookies or bread!

10 Lauren January 11, 2011 at 8:48 am

Yum, those look delcious!
Lauren recently posted..California Burgers and Sweet Potato Chips

11 Jennie January 11, 2011 at 8:54 am

Oh man, twice baked potatoes are like my favorite food EVER. I am going to have to try this for lunch!

My last cooking fail was pretty recently when I let chili overcook in the crock pot. It turned into burnt crust and all you could taste was the burnt pieces. It was a sad day.
Jennie recently posted..Mini Goals

12 Sarah January 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

Those look amazing, I am thinking those would be perfect for my lunch tomorrow. I feel your pain with no peanuts at work because I work at a food production facility and I cannot have any peanuts or tree nuts. My world revolves around peanut butter!
My last fail was my attempt at bread, didn’t realize my yeast was from 2008 so needless to say my bread didn’t get any bigger than 2″!

13 Courtney January 11, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Such a travesty to not be able to have peanut butter at work, isn’t it???

14 stefanie January 11, 2011 at 9:54 am

Hey courtney! What is your go-to brand & type of protein powder?

15 Courtney January 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm

The only protein powder is actually just a brand that I picked up from Walmart – Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey protein. It’s not too expensive, and I find it to be pretty tasty. :)

16 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) January 11, 2011 at 11:02 am

ahh as soon as I saw cottage cheese- i was SOLD
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..Not Just Another Resolutions Post

17 Evan Thomas January 11, 2011 at 1:02 pm

This would certainly be a fun way to feed my sweet potato addiction.

18 Chicago Cuisine Critique January 11, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Yum those sound great!
Chicago Cuisine Critique recently posted..Top 2 Tuesday

19 Holly January 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm

DANG Court- you are ROCKIN’ with that recipe!! I really want to try these, especially since sweet potatos are SO delicious :D
Holly recently posted..Just Sayin’

20 CaSaundra January 13, 2011 at 9:23 am

I loooove stuffing different foods. This looks like one recipe I am gonna add to my list–brilliant! :-)

21 Kim Cote December 9, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Looks great, Court! love using Chobani as a replacement to traditional ingredients in dishes like this – in fact i made a green chile tortilla pie tonight with Cho as well! My world revolves around peanut butter!
Kim Cote recently posted..Gout Tips