You Know That Feeling?

by Courtney on January 13, 2011

You know that feeling you get when you leave the house and you feel like there’s just something you’re either missing or forgetting?

Well I couldn’t seem to shake that feeling this morning after leaving the house for work. I kept racking my brain trying to figure out what the deal was, but everything seemed to be in check…until I opened up my bag to find that I forgot my breakfast at home. Confused smile

Ahhhhh, the horrors!

Luckily, I keep a few things stashed in my desk in case of emergencies so I made do with what I could find…

I had a few packets of instant oatmeal lying around, so I heated up a packet of Quaker Low-Sugar Apples & Cinnamon, which was surprisingly more enjoyable than the last time I remember having the instant variety.

Good thing I didn’t forget my coffee! Surprised smile

After the oatmeal, I broke into my cereal combo stash that I just-so-conveniently happened to bring in on Tuesday. I snacked on about half the bag throughout the morning.

Then finally around mid-morning, I had some cantaloupe that I had packed to go with lunch.

For having completely forgotten my breakfast, I’d say I made out alright! Smile

Lunch

My leftover sweet potato bowl was so good on Tuesday that I just had to make a repeat for today.

Today’s bowl included everything from Tuesday, sans cauliflower, since I snacked on that yesterday.

And in place of the Greek yogurt dollop, I decided to add in about 1/3 cup low-fat cottage cheese, which brought this leftover bowl to a whole other level. It was so super creamy, that it made it feel a lot more indulgent than it really was.

Lunch concluded with some Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chunk Cookies which I brought in to share with some of my lunch buddies. I held off with just one…the day is young.

Immediately after lunch, I caught a chill (which happens quite often) so I sipped on a mug of this Indian Spiced Chai Tea while teaching my students about food chains and food webs. Smile

In case you guys didn’t already know, I almost always split what I pack for lunch into two “mini lunches.” I get my regular lunch at 1:00, so that’s when I’ll eat whatever the main item is that I pack. If I’m still hungry, I’ll dig into whatever else I brought, but normally I wait to eat my second mini snack until around 3:00.

This helps fend off the 4pm hunger cravings that almost always used to strike and cause me to ruin my dinner (or just eat way more than I needed!).

Today, those snacks included some more Kashi honey sesame crackers and a golden delicious apple.

IMG_7800IMG_7802

Tonight, Jay and I are meeting up with our friends Sarah and Jeff for some dinner and drinks at Wheatfields Bistro & Wine Bar.

They said that they wanted the chance to celebrate our One Year Anniversary with us, and since they were such a HUGE part of our day (Sarah was my Maid of Honor who gave the most phenomenal speech), and I’m always up for extra celebrating, we made a date! Open-mouthed smile

See ya later gators!!

1 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm

That’s such a good idea to split your lunch into two bits so you don’t get hungry later! Smart thinking! :)

Aww have fun! I remember watching her give the speech on the video you posted and you’re right- it was phenomenal! Enjoy! :D
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Chocolate covered day

2 Kelly January 13, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Do you eat while you are teaching or do you have a break in the afternoon??

3 Courtney January 13, 2011 at 9:33 pm

If I need to eat while I’m teaching, I will (the kids already know that snacks are important!) but when I eat my second snack for the day at 3:00, it’s right after the kids leave.

4 Liz January 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Ok, how sad is it that I just watched those speeches and cried my eyes out. I’m such a sap! I love the end of the best man’s speech. That was great!

5 Blog is the New Black January 13, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I do know that feeling and I am all too familiar with it! :(
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Broccoli and Cheese Soup Boule

6 Megan (Braise The Roof) January 13, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Have fun at dinner tonight! Haha you had cottage cheese in your salad, too! I seriously didn’t think I was going to like it, but threw it on my salad anyway on a whim- it’s surprisingly good!
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Incidentally…

7 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I like how you split your lunch… I should try doing that!

8 Emma January 13, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Awwww….have a great “anniversary” dinner sweetie! x
Emma recently posted..Vegan Summer Berry Ice Cream

9 Allison @ Happy Tales January 13, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Girl, I know what you mean by that “feeling”! I call it my 6th sense… i can always, ALWAYS tell when I’m missing something when I walk out the door (whether or not I can pinpoint what it is until I’m actually missing it, is a different story!) But I definitely get that sense. too.

And I also split my lunch like that sometimes, just depending on how I feel. Too funny!
Allison @ Happy Tales recently posted..Just do it

10 Faith @ lovelyascharged January 13, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Oh no! I forgot my lunch today, but luckily we had a meeting where they provided us with bagels, cream cheese and fruit. SCORE! Funny how things work out!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..How to Bounce Back From a Bad Workout

11 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I always split up my lunch like that, too! I hate the feeling of eating a ton all at once, especially while sitting at a desk all day.
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..What do I do with this

12 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl January 13, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I’ve had that feeling a lot lately! It seems like each day this week I’ve left the house without one thing or another. I’m blaming the snow ;)

13 Angie January 13, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I love those Kashi Crackers!

14 Stacie January 13, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Don’t you just love when friends or family let you extend your holidays? Happy late anniversary to you and many more to come!

15 Alyssa Kuminski January 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I swear I forget something everyday!!! It’s becoming a horrible habit. Today, was my camera! Ugh!!
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..My First Giveaway!

16 Holly January 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Hope you’re having a GREAT night with your friends :D & doing lots of celebrating!!
Holly recently posted..Snow- Snow Everywhere!

17 Autumn @ Good Eats Girl January 13, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I hate it when I forget something! My co-workers always laugh because I have a drawer in my desk full of snacks for instances like these! They weren’t laughing when they’d come in because they needed a snack because they forgot their breakfast though! :)

Hope you have a great time with your friends!
Autumn @ Good Eats Girl recently posted..I’m gonna make it!

18 Kate @ahealthypassion January 13, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I usually eat two lunches too or else I am starving by dinner and snack the whole time I cook ruining my healthy dinner. Happy anniversary :)
Kate @ahealthypassion recently posted..My Journey to Health 1

19 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer January 14, 2011 at 1:48 am

That feeling is the worst!! Sometimes I’m carrying so much stuff out when I leave for work, I will forget my lunch or coffee and it makes me crazy!! Luckily you had some things to work with! Have fun with you friends!!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..The Hungry Dancer has arrived!!!

20 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 14, 2011 at 2:20 am

I’m sorta surprised you don’t eat breakfast at home. It’s the first thing I do in the a.m. I could never forget breakfast! ;)
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..What I Learned Today

21 Charlie January 14, 2011 at 7:14 am

Your salad looks delicious!
Charlie recently posted..Mushroom and Leek Risotto