White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies

by Courtney on February 11, 2011

Happy Friday!!!

Yesterday, you may or may not have caught my guest post over on Liz’s site for Chocolate Chip Thursday.

Hence the reason for my “mystery cookie” from earlier in the week.

So in case you missed it, let’s get ya’ll caught up to speed on these delicious White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread cookies! Because Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and what better excuse to bake up some fun, festive treats, right?? Winking smile

And really, who doesn’t love a little white chocolate in their lives…

IMG_0042IMG_0053-1

When combined together in this simple shortbread cookie, the flavors of the white chocolate and cherries are nothing short of delicious, and the color of the cherries just screams Valentine’s Day. They will make the perfect gift for your sweetie, your friends, your co-workers…or let’s be serious, yourself.

*********************************

For the play-by-play…

First, start off by chopping up the cherries and leave them to dry on a paper towel.

Next, combine your flour and sugar.

And add your cold, cut up butter.

Using a pastry blender (or two knives if you don’t have one), cut in the butter until the mixture becomes crumbly.

It might take a while…

…but eventually it will look like this.

Next, add in 2/3 cup of the finely chopped white chocolate and the chopped cherries.

IMG_0057IMG_0058

Add in your almond extract,

and red food coloring. You don’t need it, but it totally helps add to the festiveness of the cookie. Smile

Now crank up your muscles and knead the dough to form a nice, smooth ball.

Take a quick rest (your arms may be tired!) then go ahead and start to form your dough into 3/4” balls, placing them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.

Using a drinking glass, dip the bottom into sugar and flatten out your dough balls.

IMG_0070IMG_0071

Allow to bake and cool completely.

Then go ahead and dip half of these bad boys into your melted white chocolate.

IMG_0076IMG_0078

Mmmmmm, so tasty! Smile

1 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 11, 2011 at 8:25 am

Yum! White chocolate and cherry together are seriously one of my favorite flavor combos (behind milk chocolate and peanut butter of course!). I wonder how these would taste if I added a few toffee bits into the mix. I feel an experiment comin’ on!
Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl recently posted..Down the Road

2 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) February 11, 2011 at 8:30 am

Seeing the play-by-play makes me want to make them even more! I love the glass method you used to flatten them.
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..White Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies

3 Ally (oatsandspice) February 11, 2011 at 8:37 am

What perfect cookies for valentines day – I want to make them!
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Savoring Every Last Bite

4 Blog is the New Black February 11, 2011 at 9:09 am

These look so great, Court!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Monterey Chicken with Cilantro Lime Rice

5 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 11, 2011 at 9:10 am

Sign me up! I love this flavor combination! :D

6 Hope February 11, 2011 at 9:11 am

These cookies look so good! They are so festive for Valentine’s Day! I definitely saved this recipe! :) I like that you showed step by step how to make these. Thanks for that :)

7 Holly February 11, 2011 at 9:15 am

DELISH!!!
love the white chocolate & cherry combination!
Holly recently posted..The PERFECT Combination

8 CaSaundra February 11, 2011 at 9:19 am

Yaaay–there’s nothing better than pink cookies! :-)

9 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 11, 2011 at 9:59 am

Yummy! White chocolate + cherry sounds like an awesome combo! They look pretty, too.
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Two Eggs in a Pod

10 Shanna, like Banana February 11, 2011 at 10:29 am

I made these for Christmas — big hit! Mine turned out almost exactly the same (well yours are prettier) http://shannalikebanana.wordpress.com/2010/12/22/dark-choc-mint-blondies-cherry-white-choc-shortbread/
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Italian Tofu – Manga!

11 Grace February 11, 2011 at 11:50 am

I’m making some cherry tea cakes today and the recipe is very similar!
Grace recently posted..Indulgence

12 Liz @ IHeartVegetables February 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm

So random story, I won this box of pickled vegetables (and I was like, um, ok, gross..) but it did come with a jar of cherries! I got rid of everything else but I saved the cherries because I THOUGHT they might come in handy! Now I can actually make this! I’m so excited :)
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..New Exercise Awesome Skills

13 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer February 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I love white chocolate!! Every time you post a white chocolate recipe I get excited!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Weirdo Wednesday

14 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 11, 2011 at 2:41 pm

these are just so cute and delightful!!!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..The Big Carb Debate…

15 Amy at TheSceneFromMe February 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Oh wow, I thought I was looking at my most that I did of these same cookies last year. I love these and my coworkers request them often since they are so good!
Here is my post on the same:http://thescenefromme.com/2010/11/23/shortbread-white-chocolate-cherry-style/
Amy at TheSceneFromMe recently posted..Nutella Mallow Hearts

16 Courtney February 11, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Hahaha, how funny is that! I never saw yours!

17 Emma February 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm

yuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm! u make the BEST biscuits!
Emma recently posted..Ugli

18 Charlie February 11, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Yum! These cookies look delicious! Cherry and white chocolate must make a great combination!
Charlie recently posted..Cinnamon-Swirl Pecan-Crunch Breakfast Bread Pudding

19 Cara February 11, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Those are sooo cute! Cherry and White chocolate would be good together, I’ve never though about that!