Valentine’s Day Surprise Revealed

by Courtney on February 15, 2011

How dare I leave you all in suspense this morning with my fun surprise, right?!?

Well, as I mentioned before, Jay and I usually don’t do much for Valentine’s Day, other than a card or an excuse to buy sweet treats. But it turns out, hubby had a little something else up his sleeve this year. He surprised me with a…

source

YES!! Jay and I will be enjoying a nice, relaxing weekend spa getaway within the next few weeks. He must have read my mind when coming up with this idea, because I could definitely use a little time away to relax.

He was actually pretty funny when he presented me with the surprise, seeing as though he started out by saying “So, I was going to get you a Valentine’s gift, but I didn’t…”

Gee, thanks?? Eye rolling smile

Turns out, he wanted to surprise me with the weekend away, but he also wanted me to have a part in planning where we would be going. So rather than choosing on his own, we’ll be checking out some different places to go in some of our neighboring states. Part of the gift is also so we can knock off another state on our Adventure Map. Open-mouthed smile

Right now, we’re thinking about some of these locations:

• Boston, MA
  • Pocono Mountains, PA
  • Portland, ME

*If anyone has any good hotel/resort/spa recommendations in or around these areas, I would LOVE to hear them!!!!*

****************************

Now, let me fill you guys in quick on today’s eats…

Breakfast was an exact replica of yesterday’s cereal combo bowl. Delicious as always!

Lunch

Suuuuuper yummy, and dare I say, “springy” salad! Smile

I topped a big bed of spinach with more of a fruit combo today: strawberries, red grapes, blueberries, chickpeas, fat-free feta, and some chopped pecans.

I drizzled the salad with a little balsamic vinegar + EVOO combo. It was such a nice change of flavors!

When packing today’s lunch, I was really craving some carbs, so I made sure to include a couple slices of Mastroianni bread that we had leftover in the house.

Some afternoon snackage…

To make sure I was well fueled for today’s workout…

BodyAttack!!

I haven’t taken this class in months, but I was in the mood for a change, so I decided to revisit it today. If you’ve never taken, or heard of, BodyAttack, it’s “a 55-minute sports-inspired cardio workout that’s all about improving your speed, fitness, strength and agility.” If you want to check out more details on it, you can click here. It’s a super sweaty, intense workout! Surprised smile

Dinner

Jay and I hadn’t planned anything special for dinner tonight, and I really wasn’t in the mood for anything too difficult, so I whipped up a simple egg & cheese sandwich.

I cooked up 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters and topped ‘em with some reduced-fat cheddar cheese.

Then I paired the egg and cheese with some fresh spinach, tomato slices, and a slice of roasted deli turkey, all on an Arnold’s Sandwich Thin.

On the side, I finished up the rest of the tomato. I love fresh tomato!

I’m fairly confident that there will be some sort of chocolaty dessert consumed this evening while watching One Tree Hill. Just gotta go find some! Winking smile

Question for the Evening:

What’s the last good surprise you had?? Smile

1 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm

What a fun gift – I’m sure you’ll have so much fun on your spa getaway! :)
I’m such a huge fan of EVOO + balsamic on salads. So simple, but it provides such great flavor. The longer the balsamic has aged, the better – it gets so thick!

2 Amy February 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm

go to the equinox in VT it’s so beautiful and amazing and the best experience of your life…i promise!
Amy recently posted..Super Saturday

3 Karen February 15, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Not sure exactly where you live but the Hershey Hotel and Spa in Hershey, PA is really AWESOME! There are lots of amenities at the hotel and there is some fun things to do in Hershey and the surrounding areas.

That salad looks amazing…I love salads with fruit!
Karen recently posted..Not Feeling It

4 Courtney February 15, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Oooooooo, good call! I’ll definitely be checking into that one…thanks for the idea! :)

5 Jennie @ Designed to Be Fit February 15, 2011 at 8:25 pm

My toes would always hurt after body attack! I felt like I was bouncing on them the whole time but it was a great workout! I miss having a gym close by that has all these classes. I used to take pump, jam and even flow!

6 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 15, 2011 at 8:31 pm

What a fun and thoughtful gift!!! That would be such a fun getaway!

I was surprised this afternoon when my mom gave me a “just because” gift – a new Garmin Forerunner 405! I can’t wait to try it out! I’m hoping it will push me on my long runs like the one I have coming up this weekend :)
Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl recently posted..What so proudly we watched

7 Courtney February 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm

WOW girl, lucky you!!! :)

8 Liz @ IHeartVegetables February 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm

That sounds like so much fun!!! You’re going to have a great time at the spa, I’m sure :)

Also, that salad looks delish! So colorful!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Chocolatey Deliciousness aka Brownie Bites!

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

That is an AWESOME gift! My husband and I both got each other massages as presents. He really listened because just a few weeks ago I was saying how much I needed one because I was feeling so stressed.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..&lt3 breakfast for two &lt3

10 Meghan February 15, 2011 at 8:47 pm

If you look up the Sagamore in Bolton Landing in LG they have amazing “sister” hotels in Maine and Mass. that are stunning!!

11 Courtney February 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Thanks Megs! I’ll definitely check those out :)

12 Blog is the New Black February 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm

AWESOME gift! Come to Boston, come to Boston! ;)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Chocolate Nutella Alfajores

13 Courtney February 15, 2011 at 10:11 pm

What do you recommend???

14 Blog is the New Black February 17, 2011 at 9:01 am

If you come to Boston, go to Bella Sante on Newbury Street- lots of great places to eat and shop as well. I’ve also heard the Mandarin Hotel/spa is phenomenal!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Strawberry Cupcakes

15 Shanna, like Banana February 15, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Spa gifts are the best! I was just thinking how badly I need one myself :)

I could name a few in Cali if you wanna come this far..haha
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Shoes-Day!

16 fsugirl! February 15, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Enjoy that getaway!! I don’t know where you should go- all sound FABULOUS :D

17 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries February 15, 2011 at 9:31 pm

What a wonderful surprise! I’d pick Boston, just because I hear it’s a lot of fun :) The last surprise I got just happened a few minutes ago! Heather, from Then Heather Said, emailed me and told me she added me to her “latest and greatest” blog roll! Needless to say, my face hurts from smiling :D

18 heather February 15, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Colleen- you are too much. And I’m loving your blog, lady :) obvs!!!

19 Samantha February 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm

You should definitely check out Cove Haven in the Poconos! It’s a lover’s paradise, plus has all the spa amenities! It’s beautiful!

20 Alexa @ SimpleEats February 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Come to Boston! Bella Sante spa on Newbury is amazing! :)

21 Kristina February 15, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I’m so jealous!!!! That’s the best gift ever! Can’t wait to hear all about it…

22 erica February 15, 2011 at 11:11 pm

amazing Valentine’s Gift!
erica recently posted..happy love day!

23 Jordan February 15, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Spa day!! So exciting! :) Also, all of your food looks frickin amazing. I might have to make my own attempt at that salad tomorrow…
Jordan recently posted..Valentine Candy Max Out

24 Kylie February 15, 2011 at 11:40 pm

That BodyAttack workout sounds interesting! I wish my gym offered classes.

The last good surprise I got was this afternoon when I checked the mail and learned that I made the deans list last semester!

25 Alicia February 16, 2011 at 8:09 am

Great gift, That will be so fun! Your meals are so colorful!
Alicia recently posted..Spring Dreams

26 Emily February 16, 2011 at 9:18 am

A trip to St. Thomas! I was completely shocked!!!!! 74 days and counting….
Emily recently posted..You’re a potsticker

27 Jess@atasteofconfidence February 16, 2011 at 9:21 am

ah that is awesome! have a great time:)
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Flashback Friday

28 Stephanie @cookinfanatic February 16, 2011 at 9:32 am

What a great Valentine’s Day surprise!!! I hope you guys have a fabulous time! Oh and of course you know I’m LOVIN’ the Cho – I’ve got lemon packed today for a snack as well :)
Stephanie @cookinfanatic recently posted..Wow Wow Wow!!

29 Alexis February 16, 2011 at 10:03 am

hey, i live in the Wilkes Barre/Scranton PA area just outside the Poconos. The Mount Airy Casino Resort is really popular, it has a really nice spa and the whole resort is super-close to skiing/outlets/a billion activities.

Happy travels!!
Alexis recently posted..Valentine’s Weekend

30 Lauren February 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm

One Tree Hill used to be SOO good in the 4th season, I just can’t seem to get back into it now that Peyton and Lucas are gone :(.
Lauren recently posted..White Chocolate Cranberry Almond Bark Love

31 Erin @ The Grass Skirt February 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Your Springy salad looks SO good! The last surprise that I had was also on Valentine’s Day. The hubby and I are going to my favorite restaurant on Friday night then we’re staying at the Ritz after. Can’t wait!

32 Beth February 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm

If you haven’t been already, a resort I’ve always loved and I go every year is Mohonk Mountain House. http://www.mohonk.com
Its in the hudson valley so it won’t check off a State but its so romantic and relaxing! :)
PS.. Just descovered your blog and LOVE it!

33 Lauren February 16, 2011 at 2:22 pm

What a great gift! I live in New England and am a huge fan of the Stonehedge Inn and Spa near Boston. It is a fabulous weekend get-a-way!!

34 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm

AHH a Spa! YOU ARE SO SO LUCKY!! i need me a massage.. BAD
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..The Big Carb Debate…

35 Stacie February 16, 2011 at 3:04 pm

What a lovely surprise! Your boy done good!
Stacie recently posted..Well- my winter has officially been jammed

36 Michelle February 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm

My vote is for Boston! And the Boston Harbor Hotel is beautiful!
Michelle recently posted..Better late than never

37 CaSaundra February 16, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Ooo yay! Can’t wait to see where you guys pick to go!