On The Hunt For Self Tanners

If I can make it through to 3:00 today, I will be one happy camper because THAT will mean that I’m on Winter Recess!

One week of vacation…and boy could I use it!

So this morning, I ran a wonderful 3 miles on the treadmill to get my day started off on the right foot. And now I’ll be heading out the door shortly to celebrate Coffee Friday with a delicious iced coffee…

source

YES, iced coffee. It’s going to be in the 50’s here today, folks! Open-mouthed smile Granted, it’s going back down into the 20’s tomorrow, but hey, lets not talk about that…

**********************

So on another quick side note, I’m putting out a call for suggestions for this week’s Fashion Friday. Sort of fashion, but not really, I guess. Oh well…

The topic?

Self Tanners

source

Oh yes my friends, this pale, mid-February skin of mine is driving my bonkers, and I’m really craving a nice, healthy glow.

I’ve never really gotten into self tanners of any form, because, well…I’ve been a little nervous that I’ll end up looking like poor Anne Hathaway here:

source

Yikes?!? Confused smile

I’m looking to invest in a good self-tanner, not only for face, but for body, too. It can be lotion, spray, towelettes…whatever. I just don’t want anything that’s going to be too high maintenance! I also have sensitive skin, so I’ll need to be careful of that when choosing.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?? I’m planning on heading to the store after work to see what I can find, so I’ll be checking here to see what ya’ll love!

Thanks everyone, and as always…HAPPY FRIDAY!!! Open-mouthed smile

Question for the Day:

Do you use self tanners? What brands do you like? Do you prefer lotions

Comments

Hi!
    Mmmm iced coffee! We don’t have DD in Minneapolis, so I usually hit up Starbucks for some! Perfect warm-weather treat!

As for the self-tanner, I’ve always been happy with the Jergens line. The product I use is called “Natural Glow” and it is available in different shades…depending on your skin tone. Takes a few days but it is natural looking and is great for spring–before you get a summer tan!

Good luck!

• Annie says

Dont want to sound like a total nerd but its from the film she did with kate hudson about weddings?? I cannot remember the name so I guess I am not a total nerd only marginally nerdish.

Self tanners Ive always used the body shop one but then I am very very pale and it just gives a nice glow.

I have sensitive skin as well, and I use Lavera brand sunless tanners. They are all natural and are made with organic ingredients. I like the color it gives me and it doesn’t come out orange. They have a lotion and a spray, I’ve used both but I think I prefer the spray because its perfect to put on before you go out somewhere.
    Tina recently posted..Valentines Day 2011

3. Colleen says

i agree with laura…the Jergens brand is the way to go…i’m so pale i joke that i’m see through and having tried most of the brands over the years with alot of “orange” stories, i’ve found the Jergens Natural Glow is by far the best! it’s never left me orange!!! i use the “Fair to Medium” one but i’ve never tried it on my face…

4. Lori says

L’Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee! It takes a little longer to dry than lotions, but it leaves no streaks, is not orange-y, you notice a subtle difference in one application, and it leaves a natural color! only about $10, too :)

Court, I cannot stress enough how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE L’Oreal Sublime GLOW (not bronze!) spray! It’s hard to find so I had to order it online. Jusy yesterday (and frequently!) I get asked if I just came back from vacation! I have tried everything from cheap to expensive and find this inexpensive one to work wonders. I spray my face/arms/chest every 2-3 days with it. To be fair, I have a medium complexion anyway, but I LOVE it!
    Blog is the New Black recently posted..Strawberry Cupcakes

I am a very, pale and deathly looking individual (dramatic, maybe) and I MUST use self tanners. I use Neutrogena micro mist. It is a spray application, oil free, alcohol free, and non-comedogenic. I’ve never broken out and I have only had an orange spot once, which was on my hands. I forgot to wash them after I applied the spray directly in them for my face! opps- I love this product so much better than lotion because it is never streaky!

Happy Friday! I’ve used Jergen’s Natural Tan, but I started getting orange-y, and discolored after a while (not a good look). I did get a spray tan once and that actually worked out pretty well because someone else is doing it to make sure you’re all evened out :)

8. Stefanie says

I Highly reccommend Jergens “Natural Glow” line of tanners. They have the most natural looking glow, are great for sensitive skin types (like mine), and won’t cost you an arm & leg!

Neutrogena’s Micro Mist or Foam are both really good. The foam has a bronzer, so I usually use that on my face and then use the mist on the rest of me. I just ran out & really need to get more–my legs are frighteningly white!!!

Happy Friday :D Winter Recess?! Sounds fun!!
    I use this: http://www.neutrogena.com/product/sun/micromist-/micromist-+airbrush+sunless+tan.do

And I love it!! No streaks- just a little color- not too much that it makes you look orange & it drys super quick! (& no weird smells- kind of a different smell, but not weird.) I usually apply it Sunday- after my shower- and then let it sit all day & then take a shower after my workout on Monday…that seems to work well.
    Holly recently posted..TV Shows I Can’t Live Without!

If you just want a little glow, the jergens glow stuff gives me a little hint of bronzer. But you do have to make sure to apply it pretty much daily, otherwise, you never really get enough to make a difference (or that’s what it seems like) but that stuff also doesn’t stink, and it’s not too expensive.

I also like the banana boat spray tan stuff. Its easy to apply, because you don’t have to rub it all in, and it gives you a darker glow (or it did for me!)

Hopefully that helps! :)
    Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Ethiopian Adventures!

Jergens works really well but I hate the smell. Loreal sublime glow spray is great! I also LOVE the self tanner I bought from bath and body works. Smells great, dries fast, and makes a HUGE difference – esp on legs which I feel like never want to tan!

13. Meghan says

I’m always scared to use self tanners on myself. The few times I did do it I ended up wih tan palms and streaks. I’m loving the new Mystic tan “cocktail”. Total tan tanning salons offer the spray tan and you now have the option to create your own blend; depends on how dark you want to go, just want a glow or a combination. You can really customize it to what you want. The results are awesome and it only takes a minute! Lasts for a week or more depending on how much you exfoliate and moisturize. Very reasonable also as far as pricing and safe for sensitive skin. May be good for a base and then use something from the drug store to maintain!

I don’t use self tanners. I did once, the gradual kind, and didn’t like the smell of the faint streaks. I’m a pretty pale girl, even after a whole week at the beach. I’ve decided to just embrace my ‘translucent’ skin tone and go with it!
    Grace recently posted..Holiday

15. Ashley says

Not a ST but for bronzer, I swear by NARS Laguna. I am super pale, and it is one of the only ones that doesn’t go orangey or muddy on me.

I have yet to find a ST that doesn’t make me look orange or yellow.

16. Shayla says

I love Jergens Natural Glow line. It’s very natural looking and has a nice mild scent to it. I too have very sensitive skin (I break out with rashes and eczema really easily) and this never bothered my skin. It takes a couple days of application to start seeing results, but the look is very natural and I love it! You can get it at any drug/grocery store too.

I’ve had the best luck with Jergens and Neutrogena lotions. I like the Jergens the most because it really is gradual, so it’s not like pale one day, tan the next. Any of the face ones I’ve tried have sort of made me break out, and when I told an aesthetician I was using them she nearly keeled over. I say go for a very subtle fake tan, and stick with a touch of bronzer on your face to avoid oompa-loompa.

That pic of Anne can’t be real – oh my! Is that from a movie!?

Anyway… I have a suggestion!! I just bought Bare Essentials Faux Tan this last weekend and I’m IN LOVE. They have two different ones… I’ve used the “immediate” self-tanner before, but I bought the more gradual daily lotion this time. I only use it on my body, not my face. It’s pricey at ~$22, but I think quality self-tanner is worth it. Let us know what you find =]

Happy Friday, Court!
    Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..heart 2 heart

I LOVE Marcelle self-tanning cloths but don’t know if they are available everywhere.

They give a glow (no danger of being orange ;)) and are good for sensitive skin (I have eczema). Don’t forget to exfoliate everywhere before applying self tanner! Apply vaseline to your nails and a little lotion on your knees, elbows and palms.
    Don’t forget your ears :P.
    Charlie recently posted..Fitness Friday- My First Hot Yoga Class

20. Kathryn says

I know you already bought a product, but I just wanted to add that Victorias Secret face and body self-tanners are AMAZING and leave you with a beautiful bronzing effect. I too have sensitive skin and it’s never bothered me. Just don’t put it on everyday. Good luck get a healthy tan, rather than tanning beds! I’m from the south and it’s still pretty popular to tan in the bed, which in my opinion is just as bad as smoking!