You Have Got To Try These Recipes

by Courtney on February 22, 2011

Holy cow…I had one fantastic meal tonight!

Earlier this evening, Jay and I had my parents over for dinner. I always know it’s a safe bet to go Italian when my parents are around, so I decided to go that route. Italian food is always ok in my book, too.

Here’s the spread:

A simple veggie salad

Store-bought garlic bread (which was absolutely COVERED in garlic butter, and absolutely AMAZING at that!)

And the main course: Baked Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes, & Cheese

This meal was out-of-this-world! I’m telling you, if you are looking to make an Italian, one-dish casserole at any time in your life, this has got to be it.

I found the original recipe on myrecipes.com, which actually turned out to be a Cooking Light recipe. I followed the original recipe fairly closely, with a few modifications to better suit our tastes. Here’s my version:

My plate:

Lots of salad, drizzled with my current salad dressing obsession.

I tried my best to keep my portions in check with the pasta, to try to curb any tummy troubles. So far, so good (knock on wood!) Disappointed smile But I easily could have eaten five times this much…it was that good.

Garlic bread (x2) Winking smile

Again, I also probably could have eaten half the loaf of garlic bread, but I knew I had to save room for dessert

How could I not save room for THIS???

YUMMM, right? Winking smile

I created this low-fat chocolate strawberry trifle, which really couldn’t have been simpler to make. I simply layered a store-bought chocolate angel food cake, sugar-free chocolate pudding, frozen strawberries, non-fat strawberry yogurt, and fat-free whipped topping.

In case you want to try to re-create it for yourself, here’s the exact amounts I used:

Low-Fat Chocolate Strawberry Trifle

• 1 store-bought chocolate angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 2 boxes sugar-free chocolate instant pudding, prepared with skim milk
  • 1 6oz. container non-fat strawberry yogurt
  • 3/4 bag frozen sliced strawberries (not in juice/syrup)
  • 1 tub fat-free whipped topping

Layer all ingredients in the order above into a trifle bowl. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. ENJOY! Smile

Luckily, I was quite happy with the way it turned out, it was a hit with everyone, AND there’s plenty of leftovers. Mwaaahahaha.

I may or may not have gone back for seconds…I’ll let you decide. Winking smile

So finally, before I go it’s time to announce the winner to the “Gift Card & Cookies Giveaway”

winner

Congratulations, Kristen! Smile

winner2

*Please email me with your shipping info, along with your cookie of choice to sweettoothcourtney[@]gmail[.]com.

Hope ya’ll had a great Tuesday!!

Question for the Evening:

Do you have a favorite go-to recipe when company comes over to eat?

1 christina February 22, 2011 at 10:50 pm

baked pasta makes me so happy. there’s nothing like warm, melty cheese!
christina recently posted..Rolling Around in a Giant Blue Ball A 51” Blue Ball

2 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 22, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Delicious food! Love the trifle idea – can’t go wrong with cool whip! :)
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Recipe Snobby Joes

3 kate@ahealthypassion February 22, 2011 at 11:17 pm

yum food looks deelish, cant go wrong w. Italian its always yummy !
kate@ahealthypassion recently posted..Light Box

4 Khushboo February 23, 2011 at 12:23 am

Your meal looks divine- Italian is always a delicious, yet fail-proof, option!..I especially love your healthified trifle :)

5 Jardan February 23, 2011 at 3:05 am

mmmMMMmmmMmmm that dessert looks sooooo decadent… heaven!!! I can almost taste it lol

6 Grace February 23, 2011 at 6:50 am

Italian food is always great for company! Who doesn’t love salad, bread, and cheesy pasta! and of course dessert! I love planning meals! I also love appetizers because they’re just fun!
Grace recently posted..In the next 30 days…

7 Stacie February 23, 2011 at 7:05 am

Oh that all looks so great!

I have a go-to appetizer. It’s basically a baked cheese dip, but with some unusual ingredients and you serve it with melba toast crackers…I might have to post the recipe soon.
Stacie recently posted..7 Things…

8 Melissa February 23, 2011 at 7:19 am

I don’t do much entertaining, but if I did, this menu looks perfect! Love the looks of that trifle!

9 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 23, 2011 at 7:59 am

I just found our trifle dish hanging out in the laundry room (???), but it reminded me that I need to use it more often! This looks fairly simple and very yummy :)
Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl recently posted..Priorities

10 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 23, 2011 at 10:13 am

Wooow that trifle looks AMAZING!! Courtney you are a culinary GENIUS! :D
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..I’m a child at heart

11 Chicago Cuisine Critique February 23, 2011 at 11:09 am

That baked pasta looks great. I just made something similar, that I have yet to post the recipe for. Looks like you are right, great minds do think alike. ;)
Chicago Cuisine Critique recently posted..Top 2 Tuesday

12 Holly February 23, 2011 at 4:12 pm

DANG Court, you went ALL out! Everything looks delicious. Baked pasta dishes are some of my top favorite foods :)
That dessert..WHOA..I seriously don’t even know where to start! DELISH!!!
Holly recently posted..Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Muffins

13 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! February 27, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Mmm what a great dinner, love the trifle you made! Glad I found your blog today, I love it!
Christina @ This Woman Cooks! recently posted..Menu Plan Monday