Butterscotch Blondies with Chocolate Glaze

by Courtney on February 24, 2011

Man, there’s nothin’ like a day with your best girls to leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed!

I actually had such a great time hanging out with these ladies, that I didn’t think once about taking out my camera to snap any photos. Some days, I think the camera needs to take a rest, and today was one of those days.

So since I don’t have any other pictures to share with you tonight, I think it sounds like the PERFECT opportunity to share a little recipe I’ve been hiding up my sleeve…

Let’s face it. We’ve all been in that situation where last minute plans have been made with friends or family and you’re scrambling to figure out something to bring. It’s happened to you, right?

Well for me, most of my friends and family look to me to bring the desserts, so I’m always on the lookout for something quick and easy to make when pressed for time.

Let me tell you, these bars definitely make the cut! I actually whipped up a batch of Butterscotch Blondies last weekend when our friends Joe & Kate came over for dinner.

I think quite possibly the best part of this recipe is that it only requires one saucepan to mix everything together, and if you line your baking dish with foil like I did, then you don’t even have to wash it. Less dishes = fantabulous. Winking smile

Oh, and did I forget to mention how incredibly delicious they are?? I found the recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook, and believe it or not, the recipe is actually labeled as one of their low-fat recipes. Take it as you wish! Smile

I made a few small changes to the original recipe to suit my own tastes, and they really turned out better than I could have ever imagined.

So good, in fact, that they were gone within two days. Disappointed smile

***********

Now I will tell you right now that these bars are amazing on their own. BUT, if you’re feelin’ a little frisky, then I’d recommend that you dress ‘em up with this super simple chocolate glaze.

The glaze is a recipe that I’ve had in my arsenal for a while now, and it worked absolutely perfect with these bars. It’s ready to go in less than 15 minutes, so there’s really no excuse not to do it. It almost reminds me of my once favorite Hershey’s syrup…only better. And warm. And gooey. And…oh man, I think I need to go make some more…

I mean, like we really ever need an excuse for extra chocolate anyways, right? Winking smile

Chocolate Glaze

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp corn syrup
  • 1-2 tbsp hot water

Directions:

In small saucepan, heat chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup over low heat, stirring frequently, until chocolate chips are melted. Cool about 10 minutes. Stir in hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until consistency of thick syrup. ENJOY! Smile

These will certainly test your willpower, but they are totally worth it. So much, in fact, that I think I may be making another batch this weekend.

Followed by some extra time on the treadmill… Winking smile

1 Kelly February 24, 2011 at 8:20 pm

YUM! Those look fabulous…minus the chocolate. I know I know…but I am not a chocolate person. But blondies…sign me up! Also it completely cracks me up that there were considered the low-fat in the Betty Crocker cookbook.

2 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 24, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Mmm! Butterscotch has been sounding so good to me lately. I need to incorporate the flavor into my life – maybe with these bars!

3 Erica February 24, 2011 at 8:24 pm

droooooooool.
that looks heavenly.
Erica recently posted..a case of the tuesdays…

4 Erin @ The Grass Skirt February 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I’m drooling on my keyboard. Those look amazing!
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..Furry Friends

5 Melissa February 24, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I have pretty much zero control around butterscotch. Needless to say, these look INCREDIBLE!!!
Melissa recently posted..Ciao Bella!

6 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm

You’re right….the glaze completes them. :)
Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) recently posted..Birthday Cake Coma

7 Blog is the New Black February 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm

That glaze is not optional. Duh.
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Bacon Peanut Butter Cups

8 Karen February 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I am drooling over those blondies!!! They look so yummy!!
Karen recently posted..Operation Beautiful

9 Mama Kelly aka Jia February 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Plain they looked delicious. But with the glaze .. OMGs they look divine!!
Mama Kelly aka Jia recently posted..Red Beef Curry

10 Sarah @ healthygirlrunning February 25, 2011 at 1:30 am

Hi Courtney, new reader here! :) Those blondies look amazing!! I can’t wait to try out the recipe!

PS – Love your blog! :)

11 Courtney February 25, 2011 at 8:30 am

Hi Sarah! Welcome, and thanks so much! :)

12 Grace February 25, 2011 at 6:13 am

Oh my goodness these look amazing! I would make them right now but the only people who would eat them would be me and the boyfriend I somehow don’t think they’re ‘low fat’ if you eat half a batch!
Grace recently posted..In the next 30 days…

13 cait February 25, 2011 at 8:27 am

you can never go wrong with adding chocolate to anything :) xo
cait recently posted..A Best Friend

14 CaSaundra February 25, 2011 at 9:55 am

Oo yummy!! Betty Crocker never seems to fail to impress :-)

15 Cute~Ella February 25, 2011 at 10:10 am

Wow, they look good. I make a similar one with toffee and a chocolate drizzle and then sprinkle crushed almonds over the chocolate. I’ve gotten good reviews :)
Cute~Ella recently posted..Sweet and Spicy Marinated Red Peppers

16 Stacey February 25, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Made these tonight and OMG. They are amazing.. thank you for the recipie!!

17 Suzanne Spray February 25, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Yum! Looks like I have another recipe to try! Thanks for sharing!

18 Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies February 26, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I’m literally floored looking at the crackly tops of your blondies. I’ve never gotten mine to look like that. Your recipe must be superb. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I’d like to invite you to stop by and link your blondies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-6.html
Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies recently posted..Sweets for a Saturday 6

19 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! February 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Love the fact that there’s only one saucepan required! Less dishes = happy wife. :) These look delicious!
Christina @ This Woman Cooks! recently posted..Menu Plan Monday

20 Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies March 3, 2011 at 4:54 am

Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

21 Nadya March 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I can not say thank you enough for this recipe! :)

I just made them and they taste like.. heaven, I loooove them. Don’t know if there are going to survive the night :D

22 Jessica @ Bake a Little June 2, 2011 at 1:57 pm

UM, These look like the most amazing things ever.
Jessica @ Bake a Little recently posted..BDOYBCD Photos and I Heart Old Navy

23 Patti Valenzuela December 9, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Also it completely cracks me up that there were considered the low-fat in the Betty Crocker cookbook. Those look amazing!
Patti Valenzuela recently posted..Cancer Tattoos Tumblr

24 Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut February 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Nice “low fat” bars lol! Maybe it’s because there’s only half a stick of butter instead of a whole stick?

These are on my Friday Finds this week! Thanks for sharing and I can’t wait to make them!!
Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut recently posted..{Friday Five Foodie Finds #15}