Fashion Friday: Gold Jewelry

by Courtney on February 25, 2011

Well, the snow has once again come back to show its ugly face today…

Actually, I can’t really call it ugly…it looks quite beautiful outside my window this morning, wouldn’t you say?

Unfortunately, this just means I’m stuck inside for a while. Ohhh well…I’m pretty sure I could think of worse things in life. Winking smile

I guess that just means I’ll curl up on my couch after I enjoy my simple, yummy breakfast.

A super-ripe banana, a mug of coffee with skim milk, and the last of my Cinnamon Chip Scones (besides the few I stored on the freezer – we’ll see how long they last in there).

***********

So, you know what today is, right?

Happy Fashion Friday!!

Today’s Topic: Gold Jewelry

Although silver has usually been my jewelry of choice, I’ve been starting to experiment with some gold. It’s actually quite versatile! It looks great both in the winter and in the summer, and you can mix it up with so many different hues, like yellow, white, rose, tarnished, etc.

In case you’re thinking about grabbing some of your own gold jewelry, here are a few tips for wearing it!

1. Bright gold jewelry looks great with solid colored outfits, such as a simple LBD. Make sure the pieces that you wear are a bit chunkier, so that it stands out from the super feminine dresses. I did a little “window shopping” online to search for some good pieces. Here are a few examples of gold jewelry from ShopNBC. If you’re going for a brighter, more colorful outfit – go for the tarnished, vintagey looking bracelets and necklaces.

Sweet1

2. Bangles also seem to have become a hit lately. Well, add in differently colored metals to give it a touch of uniqueness; mixing metals always make outfits fun and stand out more. Different colored chains also work well with this theme. That way, you can wear your favorite silver ring and your favorite gold necklace and still be good to go…which is good for me, since I already own a lot of it!

Sweet2

3. Gold works really well with gems. Since gold stands out more, it makes the gems seem more brilliant while not overshadowing the metal, like it does with silver.

Sweet3

Hopefully, now, you have some ideas on how you can wear some of your gold jewelry…or you’ve been inspired to go and add a piece to your mix!

Question for the Day:

What jewelry do you usually wear – gold or silver? (Or neither!)

1 Jessica L February 25, 2011 at 9:29 am

Oh my goodness, I absolutely adore the mixed bangles and ALL of those jewelry pieces with the gold and white! SO cute! I was actually wondering how I could wear my two favorite rings, of which one is sterling silver and the other is bronze.

2 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 25, 2011 at 9:36 am

It snowed here too :(

I’m allergic to yellow gold – how weird is that?!

My engagement and wedding rings are both white gold and I typically stick with silver/other white gold earrings/necklaces/bracelets. The exception is when I wear “safari-colored” clothes – then I always do some bronze/yellow gold colors!
Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl recently posted..Volvos and Tennis Lessons

3 Courtney February 25, 2011 at 9:40 am

Hahaha, considering how allergic I am to everything and anything…no, I don’t find it weird at all! :)
I’m actually allergic to nickel, and always have to buy the “nickel-free” jewelry.

4 Melissa February 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

A snow day sounds so perfectly cozy right now! And I am impressed that you have scones left! ;)

I usually wear both silver and gold. Love your choices above, especially the ones with gems. That green and gold combo is calling to me!

5 Whitney February 25, 2011 at 10:05 am

I have been really into gold jewelry the past year I would say. My fiance makes fun of me and says I’m trying to channel the 70′s; I simply reply ” You don’t know what’s in style” haha :)

6 Courtney February 25, 2011 at 10:07 am

HAHAHA! :)

7 TheBloggersBrother February 25, 2011 at 10:21 am

I wear PLATINUM jewelry, i keep it classy

8 Courtney February 25, 2011 at 10:23 am

LOL….ohhh Dan. You sure are classy. ;)

9 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 25, 2011 at 10:28 am

I’m more of a silver girl in general, but I love gold in statement pieces! Or in the summer, when I’m really tan :) My skin has yellow undertones, so if it’s pale gold tends to wash me out!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Whipped!

10 Emily February 25, 2011 at 10:54 am

BOTH! I have two very special David Yurman bracelets that are made of gold and silver. I wear them every day. Since they’re both colors, I don’t worry about matching. I just wear what I want on the other arm (if anything) and my ears.
Emily recently posted..ELB’s ABCs

11 Michelle February 25, 2011 at 11:02 am

I generally wear silver, but gold has really been growing on me lately.
Michelle recently posted..A- B- C- all about… me

12 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers February 25, 2011 at 11:19 am

typically silver… but i love gold lately! plus, as a pale blonde, gold is “softer” and more forgiving of my casper-like skin.
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Hula Hoop Lady Returns

13 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle February 25, 2011 at 11:33 am

I much prefer silver jewelry but have occasionally been attracted to gold, so I have a few pieces, but the bulk of my collection is silver (or funky costume jewelry).

14 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie February 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I love the gold and silver look together! I think gold looks great with bright colors like burnt orange or yellow!
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..AlyssaBakesChili

15 Erin @ The Grass Skirt February 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I used to hate hate hate gold and now I love it! I usually switch off between gold and silver.
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..Furry Friends

16 Alexa @ Simple Eats February 25, 2011 at 12:59 pm

LOVE both! I always try to wear black with silver and brown with gold haha. I feel too matchy matchy sometimes!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Learn Your ABC’s

17 Jess@atasteofconfidence February 25, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Im a gold girl:)
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..man candy

18 Ally (oatsandspice) February 25, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Gold jewelry is totally coming back! I love it! And I can’t believe how much snow you got – we were hit last week but I am crossing my fingers we won’t get any more! :)
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Natural and E-Z

19 Erica February 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm

i’m a silver girl all the way, but i do like my gold accessories too :) they add a great “umph” to an outfit…but on a day to day basis, silver is my go-to choice!
Erica recently posted..a case of the tuesdays…

20 Megan (Braise The Roof) February 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I love gold jewelry! I tend to wear more silver, but I love my gold pieces just as much! And it’s so pretty with jewels, I agree. It tried to snow here last night but we didn’t end up getting too much, which I was just fine with! :)
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..D E Licious restaurant reviews!

21 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer February 25, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I like to wear both!! What can I say? I’m a rebel!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Life in the Fab Lane

22 Cara February 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’m a big fan of white gold and wear silver sometimes, because it’s cheaper! I’ve always hated yellow gold for some reason, but it is warming up to me with age. My mom always said I’d like it more when I was “older”…

23 Lindsay February 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I mostly wear silver, but my favorite necklace is two tone so that I can wear my diamond earring which have a silver setting and my grandmothers wedding ring which is of course gold. I LOVE that gold and silve can be peiced together as long as they are not over done! :)
Lindsay recently posted..I’ll Be Back…