Healthified Baking Substitutes

by Courtney on March 5, 2011

Ahhhhh, the weekend is here!

I woke up feeling quite refreshed this morning, which I would hope, seeing as through my “granny evening” had me in bed by 11.

As soon as I walked out into the living room this morning, my little man Cody was awaiting, and was ready to play.

Then Dad came out, and I lost his attention completely. Hmmph.

What a cutie! Smile

IMG_0755IMG_0757

For breakfast, I was once again craving cereal (what is with me?!?) so I broke into this box of Cinnamon Burst Cheerios.

Oh.My.God.

This box doesn’t even stand a chance in our house! I made sure to measure out my serving…otherwise, half the box would be gone. Although, even with my one measured cup missing, Jay’s two bowls probably did leave the box half empty.

And can you believe it? I actually stuck with only one kind of cereal – no combo today! Winking smile

Cereal + Coffee = Perfection

*****************

In a little while, my friend Eileen is coming up to visit and spend the afternoon with me (YAY!). We’re heading to a new place for lunch which I’ve been waiting to try forever now, so I’m psyched!

So just in case you missed it, I thought I would leave you all with a copy of my guest post on healthified baking substitutes that I wrote over on Lisa’s blog earlier in the week.

Enjoy! Smile

*******************

So now, if you’ve ever popped over to Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life, then you probably already know that I have a huge sweet tooth, and a slight obsession with baking. Cookies, cupcakes, trifles…you name it, I’m on it.

Yeah, it’s probably a good thing that I have a full-time job to keep me out of the kitchen all day, every day.

Even still, with the amount of baking that I do, I’m always looking for ways that I can “healthify” a recipe. Whether it be a substitution, an omission, or an addition, there’s almost always something that can be done. So today, I’d like to share some of my favorites with you!

**Edited to add: Feel free to print the above chart to keep handy in the kitchen!**

I’ve certainly experimented with my fair share of substitutions, but these I have found to be tried and true. What are some of your favorite baking substitutes??

Another favorite cake of mine? The Soda Cake!

All you have to do for this one is mix 1 boxed cake mix + 1 can of diet soda. That’s it! And the flavor possibilities are endless:

angel or yellow cake + diet orange soda
banana cake mix + diet root beer
cherry chip cake + A& W diet Cream soda
chocolate cake or devils food + diet pepsi
chocolate cake + diet vanilla coke
chocolate cake + diet root beer
lemon cake mix + diet 7-up
lemon cake + diet ginger ale
lemon + diet lemon
marble cake + diet cream soda

red velvet + diet cherry vanilla Dr Pepper
spice cake + diet lemon-lime
spice cake + diet orange
white cake + diet ginger ale
white cake + diet orange

white cake + diet sprite
yellow cake + diet orange

So now, hopefully I’ve gotten some of you ready to go do some baking! And just in case you’re in need of some ideas, here are some of my favorite recipes with “healthified” substitutes – soda cakes included!

Chocolate PB Cup Cupcakes

Strawberry-Filled Lemon Cupcakes

Pina Colada Jell-O Cupcakes

Banana Toffee Picnic Cupcakes

Chocolate Butterscotch Cheesecake Cookies

Happy Baking! Smile

*Don’t forget to enter my Blueberry Muffin Larabar Giveaway!” You have until Monday to enter!

1 Lisa @ I'm an Okie March 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

Loved this guest post! Thanks for doing it. Hey, how do you make the chart printer friendly? I love that on your blog and was always curious as to how you did it.

2 Courtney March 5, 2011 at 11:20 am

Thanks, Lisa! :)
It’s actually a plugin called “print this”

3 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 5, 2011 at 11:06 am

love this post! i use a lot of these subs myself! i’m always trying to make baked goods healthier!
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Pick of the Week- My Favorites

4 Alexa @ Simple Eats March 5, 2011 at 11:18 am

I’m definitely drooling at all of your delicious cupcakes. I can’t believe the soda idea, that’s awesome!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Tips and Tricks

5 Melissa March 5, 2011 at 11:45 am

Loved the guest post, Courtney! I need to try some soda cake–and those Butterscotch Cheesecake Cookies are definitely on my list!

I think I may need to pick up those Cinnamon Cheerios. I’m having a slight obsession with cinnamon at the moment & those look like they’ll feed my addiction nicely!
Melissa recently posted..Surprise!

6 Cynthia (It All Changes) March 5, 2011 at 11:45 am

Thank you for the tidbit to add a bit of oil to skim milk when baking for a more whole milk consistency.

My favorite substitute by far is apple sauce. But I also love using egg whites instead of whole eggs since I rarely have whole eggs on hand.
Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Instant Mood Lifters

7 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) March 5, 2011 at 11:58 am

OH MY.. DROOLVILLE!!!!! love the substitution chart!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..A Serious Case of the Warm-Fuzzies

8 Emily March 5, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Loveeeeeee this post!! I definitely need to try some of those substitutes :)

9 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm

You officially have got me craving cupcakes. I love to healthify some recipes, but occasionally I go all out and just really enjoy every bite!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Fruitmeal

10 Alyssa Kuminski March 5, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I always substitute! unless im bringing it to a crowd where there are a lot of men! all of your sweets always look amazing!!
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..Oh- Oh- Oh…It’s Magic

11 Parita @ myinnershakti March 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Your sweets looks so delicious! And you photograph everything so well. I can’t wait to try out some of your recipes. :)
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..Oscar Night!

12 Diane March 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Your list of substitutes is very helpful, and I have to compliment you on how well you incorporate them into your recipes. Sometimes baked goods made with healthy substitutes can be a little lackluster, but yours are always so tasty! Your pumpkin protein cake is a breakfast and snack staple for me. Keep up the good work!
Diane recently posted..A Day In The Life

13 Sarah @ healthy girl running March 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Wow, you’re such a good cook! How did you start baking?? I always feel overwhelmed when it comes to making something new!

14 Tara @ The Game of Life March 5, 2011 at 2:57 pm

love this post!! btw your cinnamon cheerios sound delish, I need to get me some of those :)
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..CHANGE OF PLANS!!

15 Karen March 5, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I’ve never heard of a soda cake before…those sound amazing!! The possibilities are endless too!
Karen recently posted..MIA