A Snow Day Recipe

by Courtney on March 7, 2011

Well, apparently, winter is not yet done with us yet up here in the northeast…

It decided to show its ugly face again last night and into this morning, complete with snow, freezing rain, and ice.

The ice is covering just about everything at this point. It’s pretty…but gross at the same time, ya know what I mean?

IMG_0865-1

Well, my morning started off with a call informing me that school was running on a 2-hour delay. So I slept in for another 45 minutes and then decided to get up and get goin’ on my Monday morning workout.

I started off with an Exercise on Demand video: 10lb Slimdown Upper Body. Always a good choice! Then, just as I was headed down to the treadmill, I got another call…

SNOW DAY for me today!

So, with a little extra spring in my step, I hopped on the treadmill and completed a slightly different variation of this treadmill workout. I ran for 40 minutes, covering exactly 4 miles. It felt good, especially after taking the whole weekend off from exercise.

**************

After showering, it was time to take advantage of this snow day…because we all know what snow days are good for…

BAKING! Open-mouthed smile

I had a couple super-ripe bananas that needed to be used up, so I whipped up a batch of my Honey Raisin Banana Pumpkin Bread. I decided to make a few minor adjustments to the recipe, using some of my favorite healthified baking substitutes. I’m actually quite glad I did, because I think this loaf turned out even better! Here’s the new recipe:

***************

Of course, I had no patience to wait for it to cool down before digging in…

I had already been smelling it in the oven for the past hour…how was I supposed to wait any longer??? Winking smile

I cut myself off the heel, along with one more piece, spread with a little butter.

It’s soooo good! Don’t be surprised if I end up going back for another slice soon…

Or two. Winking smile

*************

The winner of my Blueberry Muffin Larabar Giveaway will be announced later this afternoon!! Last chance to get your entries in!

*Just in case you missed this weekend’s blog posts:

Healthified Baking Substitutes

The Whistling Tea Kettle Lunch Date

Busy Baker

Unmotivated

I hope the weather is much nicer than it is here, wherever you may be! Smile

1 Emily March 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

yum yum yum! that looks amazing :)

I’m so sick of winter, but I guess I can always guarantee its going to give me a good workout because I’m gonna have to shovel the icy snow off my car later to get to class. Can you say bicep workout? haha

hope you enjoy your day off!!
Emily recently posted..how to keep lunch exciting but healthy

2 Shanna, like Banana March 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Oh how I wish I could have a snow day! I miss those!

We are blue skies and in the high 50′s (cold for Cali) but I’m diggin’ it.

I need to make more banana bread..stat!
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..POM and Kauai weddings are both wonderful!

3 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Our weather got cold again, too – but no snow! Did you ever make bread before you got your bread maker? I’m thinking about investing in one :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Home-Cooked Heaven

4 Courtney March 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Nothing besides bread in a loaf pan, like banana bread. ;)
The bread machine has made such a difference…I LOVE it!

5 kate@ahealthypassion March 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Lucky I wish I had a snowday, bread looks delicious and so perfect for the cold weather!
kate@ahealthypassion recently posted..Saturday Adventure

6 Holly March 7, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Mmmmm that looks AWESOME! Just made my tummy grumble a bit :)
I hope you have a great day off!!
Holly recently posted..Grasshopper Cake

7 Jess@atasteofconfidence March 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Snow wasn’t done with us, either- yuck!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..ABCs of me

8 Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses March 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Yay for the snow day!!! (When does that mean for the rest of the school year for you though???) That bread looks amazing….your recipes are just amazing. In case you didn’t know. :-)
Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses recently posted..Sleepy Beast

9 Courtney March 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Awwww, thank you, Melissa! :)

10 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun March 7, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Its chilly here but no snow. Thank goodness! Do you guys have to make up snow days?
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self Love Reflection- Desiring Perfection

11 Courtney March 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Any snow days that we could possibly have from here on out, we will have to make up. The first day they’ll take away is the Friday before Memorial Day. But today’s snow day was the last one that was built into our schedule. Thankfully!

12 Tara @ The Game of Life March 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm

That bread looks great!! However, I am not jealous of your snow day… its 67 degrees here :) hah
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..CHANGE OF PLANS!!

13 Courtney March 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm

LUCKYYYYY!!! :)

14 Alyssa Kuminski March 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm

But a snow day is always nice!!!
I love baking bread! You’ve been quite the bread maker lately :)
I just saw your post about peanut butter cream cheese! I got some yesterday at trader joes and cant wait to dig in!
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..Feeling kinda snacky sunday…

15 Courtney March 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Hahaha, I can’t help myself! I love me some bread! :)

16 Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm

ohhh man I’m thinking that would be delicious topped with some coconut butter! Yum! Yay for baking filled snow days!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Can you milk an almond Yes Yes you can

17 Courtney March 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Oooooo, YUM! I’ve never tried coconut butter!

18 JaNelle March 7, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Hey Courtney, after I tweeted you, I went home and made this bread! HA! Hubs and I went away for the weekend and we got back late last night and in the kitchen were two – exactly two overly ripe bananas. Then I check my google reader and low and behold I find your recipe! I took my lunch break (I work from home) and made this. Holy amazeballs it’s so good! Thanks so much for sharing!

19 Courtney March 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm

That’s awesome! I’m so glad you liked it! :)

20 Diane March 7, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I’m so glad you posted this! I just bought a jar of brown rice syrup and have been wondering how to use it aside from making granola! Hope you enjoyed your snow day!
Diane recently posted..A Day In The Life

21 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 7, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Ugh, sorry about all the snow!!! We’re supposed to get 2 inches of rain tomorrow, which I guess is the equivalent of 8 inches of snow!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..preemptive intuitive eating

22 Melissa March 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm

That bread looks incredible! I would have wolfed the whole thing! I make a version of banana bread that’s called “Banana Split Bread,” and I can put down quite a bit of that stuff–it’s just too too good. I can’t wait to try a new “healthified” recipe! :)
Melissa recently posted..Running on Fumes

23 Courtney March 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

That sounds great!!!

24 Sarah March 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

all your baked goods ALWAYS look SO delicious and i instantly want to get in my kitchen and make them!
Sarah recently posted..Baby Steps

25 Courtney March 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Hahaha, thank you!! Well go for it! ;)

26 Casey July 13, 2011 at 1:08 am

Ohh my goodness! You just found a way to combine the three things I love the most into a loaf of doughy goodness… I WILL try this recipe this weekend and let you know how it goes. If I end up posting on it, I will give you alllllll the credit you deserve :) I read your blog every day, you’re amazing!

27 Alex @ Fresh and Fantastic October 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I just made this bread and it smells soooo good! It looks great, too. :) Alas, I cannot eat a piece because I am giving it to my parents as a surprise tomorrow but I can guarantee I will be making it again (just for me!) Thanks for the great recipe!

28 Courtney October 8, 2011 at 10:56 am

Ohhhh, good!! I hope your parents enjoy it :)

29 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 9, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I just put these into the oven :) ….Can’t wait to eat one. (I made muffins instead of bread. I like teeny tinny pieces of bread. They’re cute!)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..I can’t wait!!!

30 Leslie October 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I made this recipe last night and baked it up as muffins. Easy portions for my little guy. It was great! I threw in about 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and only did 1/2 cup of raisins. Thanks for a great “healthy” quick bread.

31 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Ooooo, that’s a great idea! I never tried making it as muffins before….so glad they were a hit! :)

32 Cathleen Velasquez December 9, 2011 at 8:41 am

I make a version of banana bread that’s called “Banana Split Bread,” and I can put down quite a bit of that stuff–it’s just too too good. Thankfully!
Cathleen Velasquez recently posted..Gout Tips