Dinner On A Whim

by Courtney on March 8, 2011

Whew, today has been a busy day! As nice as it is to have a surprise day off from work, it certainly doesn’t help once you get back to work. Not to mention the fact that it’s report card time…let’s just say, I’ll be happy come Friday!

Luckily, I was able to get myself up this morning for a workout, since I definitely would have bailed on it, had I waited until this afternoon. Unfortunately, I snoozed through half of my workout time (I don’t know what is UP with me?!?) so I only had about 40 minutes. I decided to do the Jillian Michael’s 6 Week Six-Pack Abs workout off of Exercise on Demand.

I know I haven’t been doing this workout consistently, but I must say, it is a great workout!

Breakfast

I was so excited to be able to dig in to my Banana Raisin Pumpkin Bread this morning!!

I cut myself two slices, quickly heated ‘em up in the microwave, and topped one with some peanut butter. My only regret? I should have topped both with the PB – it was an amazing combo! Smile

I ate my slices of bread at home, and brought a banana & my coffee to work with me. Super tasty!

Lunch

I never ended up taking pictures of today’s lunch, but I can tell you that it was a typical “Monday Usual” – Chobani & granola + lots ‘o veggies & hommus + a great fruit salad of strawberries, cantaloupe, blueberries, and grapes. YUM!

************

Once I got home from work today, I was feeling a little pooped. I got home much later than usual, which was not much longer after hubby arrived home. The two of us decided a drink was in order. I mean, hey, it IS Fat Tuesday, right? Winking smile

So I poured myself a glass of wine…

And as hubby and I sat and chatted about our days, and then tried to decide on what to have for dinner, our initial plan of grilled chicken salads was thrown right out the window. Jay wanted to order out. I wanted to save money. So after much discussion, the two of us basically just ended up scrounging around the kitchen for whatever looked good.

My “winning” combo? Winking smile

I started by steaming up a side of broccoli.

And made myself a grilled sandwich of deli chicken, tomatoes, lettuce, and roasted red pepper hommus, all on two thin slices of last night’s beer bread.

It tasted pretty good, but now my mouth feels totally ripped apart by all the sharp edges of the toasted bread. Man, I hate when that happens!

***************

***Looking for a little extra, light reading this evening? Check out this great article from Woman’s Day Magazine on“Morning Workout Motivators.”

You’ll see some great tips from some of my favorite bloggers, AND one from yours truly! Open-mouthed smile

***************

Now I’m off to go relax for the evening…or just pass out in bed…I’m exhausted! Sleepy smile

Question for the Evening:

What time do you typically go to bed on weekdays?

1 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 8, 2011 at 8:04 pm

For just making that sandwich on a whim, it looks pretty darn tasty! I try to be in bed by 11pm on week days – but sometimes I feel like a total granny and could totally go to sleep at 9!

2 Heather T March 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm

We made BLTs for dinner one night last week and toasted the bread, and I must have over toasted a bit because it totally cut up the inside of my mouth too. Hate that!

3 briana March 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I’m a teacher too and get up at 5 for the gym so I’m in bed by 830 or 9!

4 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer March 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

That dinner looks pretty tasty!!! I am a night own staying up till 12am on weeknights!!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Root Beer

5 Stephanie @cookinfanatic March 8, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Yay for some post work vino, sometimes it’s just necessary! Oh girl, I am so jealous that you get home from work at 4pm and that’s late!!!!! I would love to have to schedule. I get home between 5:30pm and 6:30pm depending on the day… ugh :( You probably go in alot earlier than me though… I usual get into work at 8:30am on a good day ;)
Stephanie @cookinfanatic recently posted..“Dinner in Twenty”

6 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 8, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I go to bed somewhere between 9 and 9:30 on weeknights. I’m an old lady!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..preemptive intuitive eating

7 Diane March 8, 2011 at 9:16 pm

That sandwich looks so yummy. Congrats on being featured by Woman’s Day!!
Diane recently posted..House Hunting and Road Trip Eats

8 Courtney March 8, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Thanks, Diane! :)

9 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 8, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Hey Courtney! Going to bed early during the week is definitely something I’m working on. I used to be in bed by 11, but lately it’s been 12am or later. Last night I was up until almost 1am watching TV… so stupid! I still managed to get up to work out before work somehow, but I am EXHAUSTED now.

10 Courtney March 8, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Hey Beth! Or shall I say…ROOMIE?!? :-D
Wow, that’s totally impressive that you’re still able to get up to work out after staying up so late. I’d probably be falling over the handlebars of my treadmill if I attempted that. ;)

11 Tara @ The Game of Life March 8, 2011 at 10:20 pm

That sandwich looks great… last night I had one of those nights too and ended up making an egg and turkey bacon sandwich!! http://taralynnupshaw.blogspot.com/2011/03/breakfast-for-dinner.html

I typically go to bed around 10… I love my sleep!!
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..CHANGE OF PLANS!!

12 Julie @ Lettuce Choose Healthy March 8, 2011 at 11:08 pm

yum that pumpkin bread looks so good! Did you make it?

13 Courtney March 9, 2011 at 8:03 am
14 Jardan March 9, 2011 at 12:11 am

lol :D that’s exactly what my partner and I do… he wants take out, i want to save money :P we take turns in winning hehe
Jardan recently posted..March 9- 2011

15 Parita @ myinnershakti March 9, 2011 at 7:25 am

I go to bed anytime between 10 and 10:30. Ideally, I should be fast asleep by then since I am trying to be an AM workout person!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..Problem Solved…PHEW!

16 Shayla March 9, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I get up at 5am during the work week so I gotta be in bed by 8:30 – 9, any later than that and I’ll feel like a zombie the next day!