40 Days Without…

Sooo, remember those undercooked Butterscotch Blondies I made over the weekend?

Well this gal right here dominated three of them last night.

Followed by three mini peanut butter cups.

Two chocolate covered peanut butter pretzels.

And half of a brownie cupcake.

Ooooof. That’s embarrassing. Embarrassed smile

So I have now decided that sweets after dinner are off limits. For 40 days.

Since today is the beginning of Lent, I figured it would be the perfect time to give this a go. I’ve been wanting to try cutting back on the after dinner sweets for quite a while now, but apparently I just haven’t been motivated enough to do so.

To be honest, I’ve never really been all that good at giving things up for Lent. In the past, I can remember one year giving up doughnuts. Now, let’s be honest. How often do we really eat doughnuts anyways, right? Well as soon as I declared them “off limits,” my cravings for them were out of control and I was miserable!

I know I’ve said it before, but I’m really, really bad at declaring foods “off limits” and depriving myself of something. But last night’s debacle has further proven the fact that something needs to change!

I have come up with the modified version of no sweets after dinner only, because 95% of the time, this is the only time of day that I eat sweets, and it’s really the only time I crave them. Not only is this about giving something up, but it’s also about self-improvement. For an even healthier, happier me! Open-mouthed smile

It will certainly be a challenge for me, but I’m determined! I’ve got some great friends out in blog land doing the same, and I know they’ll have my back! Smile Even though they’re going full out no sweets, I just don’t know if I could go 40 days without baking some sort of yummy treat!

So, here goes nothin’!!

Question for the Day:

What are your thoughts on Lent?

Do you plan on, or have you ever given anything up?

Or are you more about self improvement?

Comments

ahhh sounds like a good night for you girl :) eeks I’m giving up FACEBOOK for Lent! AM I CRAZY?! haha I posted it on my blog too! Hopefully I can last 40 days.. i tried a few years ago and didn’t work out so well ha I think I lasted 48 hours! fingers crossed!
    cait recently posted..A healthy dose of laughter

2. Lindsay @ Brownies For Brunch says

You remind me alot of myself! Eating sweets after dinner is a not so nice little habit i’ve gotten into too. And I tend to “graze”. I should follow suite and try to give that up for 40 days…But baking is so fun! To fast or not to fast…..Good luck girl!

Ah, what a good compromise! If you REALLY need that cookie, you can have it, just earlier in the day. I’m the same way – most of my sweets come at night.

I think giving up doughnuts would be toughest in the fall, not the spring. 40 days without cider doughnuts?!
    Liz recently posted..Cake Batter Banana Frozen Yogurt

this is a great thing to give up! i really want to pick something but haven’t yet (I know lent has started… I figure I’m in the clear as long as I don’t consume it/do it today.) It’s tough to think of something I can’t live without versus something that’s an actual sacrifice.
    Emily recently posted..Half Marathon Race Report

During Lent, I usually try to do something extra to give back or to improve myself. One year, I committed to work out 6 days a week during Lent. This year, I’m committing to being mindful about eating. I have the “night eating syndrome” too and always snack my way through the evening after dinner even if I’m not hungry. I’d have to say sweets are my usual go-tos, so I guess our Lenten promises will be similar! I’m hoping to learn to start listening to my body more and spend the time I usually spend eating connecting with my spiritual self instead.

I’m pretty positive I’ll be doing the no sweets thing too, still have a little time to decide. I’ve done lent since I was a teenager, normally it’s been cokes or chocolate – two of my faves, so I like that this is more of a challenge.

Sweets after dinner is my weak point too! It’s the only time I am dying for a sweet treat, and I try so hard not to, but I usually always give in for at least something small. I’m trying to cut back on my sugar intake overall (less than 9 grams per serving) but sugar is just so good! Good luck!

As for lent, I want to give something up (or maybe declare to start doing something that I am currently not), but haven’t thought of something yet…TBD
    Katie G. recently posted..Rainy Day Sunday

8. Shayla says

I am exactly the same!! My sweet tooth is on overdrive after dinner! I’m trying to cut back too and have been really trying to go without, and if I must have something I try to make it something small like a pre-portioned Jello pudding cup or skinny cow bar. Good luck to you and I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying your peanut butter chocolate pretzels! 😉

I do the same thing… I eat healthy all day long, and then at night I just HAVE to have a dessert! I just cant go to sleep without one ha. I have tried to trick myself and say cereal is my “dessert” for the night, but it rarely works!! Good Luck though!!!
    Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..CHANGE OF PLANS!!

10. Samantha says

I have the same issue with sweets after a meal. I found that popping a peice of gum really helps with the craving! They make gum that tastes like certain desserts – so that may be an option. I usually stick to peppermint though. I haven’t decided my Lent promise yet but will decide by this evening. Good luck!

I believe in sacrificing something to learn and appreciate the sacrifice Jesus made for us. I don’t like how sometimes people use it as a front for restricting food though. Not saying you are – I’m talking about people who use it as like a “diet” and not to remember Christ’s sacrifice. Kwim? There are so many things to sacrifice for 40 days and it has to be something that will keep your focus on the right place. I’m giving up my morning time on the computer and using it for study, prayer, and reflection.
    Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Stretch It Out

• Courtney says

Tina, I completely agree, and I think you worded it very nicely here. I really like your idea on giving up your morning time!

12. Elizabeth says

OMG, I’m laughing because eating all those sweets and chocolate is absolutely something I would do!!! I actually met some girlfriends for a birthday dinner last week, and one of them brought cupcakes from a local bakery. Regular sized cupcakes mind you, NOT mini cupcakes. I had one after dinner and brought 2 home for my little girls. When I got home they were asleep, so I ate the other 2 cupcakes!! 3 non-mini cupcakes in one night! I was actually embarrasses about it too, especially when my husband figured out what I’d done.

Which brought me to what I decided to give up for Lent. I can’t possibly give up after dinner sweets altogether, so I’m giving up any baked goods that I didn’t make homemade. So no bakery cupcakes or cookies, no packaged cookies or my beloved Hostess 100 calorie cakes. If I didn’t bake it, I can’t have it.

I was trying to think how i could possibly give up sweets for 40 days but I think the after dinner one is a good idea! Bc thats mainly when I eat them – I always feel like I need something after dinner… Hmm, I might do this too!
    Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..Travel Tip Tuesday

I’m giving up chocolate AND meat…wahh wahh wahh. It’s going to be hard, but I kind of like that about Lent, it’s such a challenge and I always wind up feeling better physically mentally and emotionally. I wish I made myself do mini-challenges year round!

15. fsugirl! says

For Lent I’m giving up cheese, white carbs, and soda. AND gum! Best of luck to you (and me!) 😀

16. *Andrea* says

i’m giving up sweets too! i saw this on julie’s blog and thought it would be a great idea…my sweet tooth is insane this winter, and also i think it will remind me about not letting my autopilot tendencies take over with food, and instead focus more on giving my body a break from all the sugar!

You can do it!! It seems a lot harder than it is, I promise. I like how you’re just giving them up after dinner, so you can still enjoy a treat if you want it. And I think you’ll find that the less you eat sweets, the less you crave them in general! Good luck!!
    Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..A Pain in the Butt

I so hear you. If I have sweet stuff in my house, and it’s night time and I’m relaxing, OMG I could eat an entire pan of blondies!! Great time to fence the out-of-control eating habits, that’s what I’m working on too!!