White Chicken Chili Surprise

by Courtney on March 14, 2011

Healthified Corn Bread! (see recipe below)

Healthified Corn Bread

Tonight’s dinner was quite the little surprise: unbelievably easy to do and super delish to boot! Smile

I bought a big pack of chicken over the weekend that needed to be divided up and frozen, so I left out two small breasts to incorporate into tonight’s meal. On a whim, I picked up a packet of this McCormick White Chicken Chili Seasoning Mix after realizing it was both on sale and I had a coupon. You can never pass that up!

Jay had been fighting me on making this for over a week now because he “hates beans,” but since he was working late this evening, I pulled a sneak-attack on him. Winking smile

Let me just say…WOW. I completely underestimated how good this little packet of seasoning could be. The chili has fantastic flavor and definitely quite the kick to go with it. Yowsahs! Surprised smile Better yet, it was done in less than a half hour…SCORE!

I topped my bowl with a tiny dollop of light sour cream, which helped tame down the spiciness.

To my surprise, Jay even came home, first turned up his nose, but then proceeded to eat an entire bowl while proclaiming how good it was more than once.

To go along with my white chicken chili, I whipped up a batch of healthified corn bread…because I’m always looking for an excuse to make corn bread. Winking smile

Topped off with a little real butter = really delicious.

I used the recipe off the back of my corn meal canister, making just a few slight substitutions, which go as follows:

While going back out to the kitchen to clean up, I suddenly found myself digging in for a second piece of corn bread. It was too tasty to just have one. And besides…it’s healthified, so it’s ok, right? Winking smile

Time to go settle in on the couch and watch tonight’s Bachelor finale. I have not watched a single episode, but these previews for tonight have totally sucked me in! I LOVE me some TV drama! Smile

**P.S. – I have a pretty sweet GIVEAWAY headed your way tomorrow morning! Be sure to check back to see what’s up for grabs!

Question for the Evening:

What are some of your favorite pre-packaged meals or meal starters?

1 kate@ahealthypassion March 14, 2011 at 8:03 pm

That cornbread looks so amazing especially with the butter on top yum!
kate@ahealthypassion recently posted..CSD Day 3

2 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 14, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I’m making vegetable quinoa soup tonight, and this cornbread sounds like it would go great with it. It’s a bummer I don’t have corn meal – adding it to my grocery list though! Enjoy your night, Courtney! :)

3 Sana March 14, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Oh men. When will they learn. Women are ALWAYS right!

4 Molly Carter March 14, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I love the McCormick slow cooker chili mix. We make chili 1-2 times per month. You just can’t beat it. Plus, leftovers are great on baked potatoes or as nachos!
Molly Carter recently posted..Green Grasshopper Cupcakes

5 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 14, 2011 at 8:27 pm

That looks exactly like my dinner yesterday!!! Except no chicken and socca to replace the cornbread. :)
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..preemptive intuitive eating

6 Cynthia (It All Changes) March 14, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I smell baking tonight. I found cornmeal in my pantry and was wondering what to make with it. Bring on the corn bread. :-)
Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Spring Has Sprung

7 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 14, 2011 at 8:36 pm

That chili looks great! We bought a lot of chicken yesterday as well, and we’re looking for ways to use it – so thanks for posting this! :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Icing Overload

8 Holly March 14, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Dear Court:
Thank you for MAKING my night. You have no idea how many times I have attempted to make a ‘healthified’ corn bread..there is always something that is just a little ‘off.’ You know what I mean?? So I CANNOT wait to try this recipe!!! YAY!
Also, what recipe did you use for the chicken chili? It looks delicious..and I’m kind of thinking I want this tomorrow for dinner. It just looks THAT yummy :D Thanks for sharing- you rock!
Enjoy the Bachelor…I’m watching it now too :)
Holly recently posted..Final Fitting DONE!

9 Courtney March 14, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Haha, oh Holly you are so sweet! :)
I seriously LOVED the corn bread, so I hope you do too! And the chili recipe was right on the back of the seasoning mix package. All it requires is chicken, olive oil, water and white beans! I added a can of diced tomatoes to add a little more flavor. :)

10 Karen March 14, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I love white chicken chili! Ruby Tuesday’s has the best!!! Can’t wait to try that seasoning packet though!
Karen recently posted..Back In Action

11 Courtney March 14, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I LOVE Ruby Tuesday’s white chicken chili! My favorite is getting the chili+ salad bar combo. :)
Courtney recently posted..White Chicken Chili Surprise

12 Brendon Gonzalez March 14, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Consider this dinner for later this week! Thanks for the great idea

PS Why don’t more men comment on this blog? lol

13 Lauren March 14, 2011 at 9:17 pm

McCormick Seasoning packs are the best! I love making the McCormick Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork!!!
Lauren recently posted..Restaurant Review- Tobacco Road

14 Tara @ The Game of Life March 14, 2011 at 9:21 pm

That chili looks great!! I personally love Lean Cruisines French Bread Pizza!!! I really don’t buy packaged meals, but this pizza is great!!
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..My birthday festivities have already started

15 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) March 14, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I love the McCormick chili seasonings! My mom makes the chicken one all the time and I never get sick of it.
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Nutter Butter Stuffed Peanut Butter Chip Cookies Super Peanut Butter Cookies

16 Charlie March 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I love Amy’s burritos & Commensal frozen meals (vegetarian meals made by a restaurant in Quebec).
Charlie recently posted..Carrot Currant Muffins with Sweet Sesame Topping

17 Missy March 14, 2011 at 9:45 pm

That looks good! I have always wondered about how their white chicken chili mix tasted – now I will buy it!.
The Bear Creek Country Kitchens tortilla soup mix is really good and easy. I just add boiled chicken, a can of tomatoes, and can of mexican corn and serve with baked tortilla chips and lowfat sour cream.

18 Alexa @ SimpleEats March 14, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Yum! Looks so good! Those little seasoning packets are great…they work wonders!
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..New Love

19 Jardan March 15, 2011 at 12:58 am

YUM! that looks soooo good, glad to hear you proved your hubby wrong hehe
Jardan recently posted..March 15- 2011

20 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 15, 2011 at 5:36 am

Holy yum! That chili looks amazing!!!

I really like low sodium vegetable broth. It’s pricey but comes in handy for so many things.
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Chicken and Nice

21 Khushboo March 15, 2011 at 7:52 am

That sounds delicious! I’m loving the Old El Paso low sodium taco mix lately…adds such a great kick

22 Parita @ myinnershakti March 15, 2011 at 7:53 am

I love TJs boxed white cheddar mac n’ cheese! YUMMM!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..PAST- present- FUTURE

23 Rae March 15, 2011 at 8:24 am

I love cornbread! I could seriously eat an entire pan in one sitting.
Rae recently posted..Leprechaun Leap 10K Race Report

24 Karen March 15, 2011 at 10:15 am

YUM!! I will have to make this even though my husband “hates” beans as well but I think I can get him to eat it.

25 Ofelia Welch December 9, 2011 at 8:18 am

I LOVE Ruby Tuesday’s white chicken chili! I love the McCormick chili seasonings! Enjoy your night, Courtney!
Ofelia Welch recently posted..Arthritis Tips