I Smell a Memory

Isn’t it strange how a certain smell can conjure a specific memory out of nowhere?

Well that’s exactly what happened to me this morning as I was preparing my peanut butter-laden breakfast.

Growing up, I can remember one of my dad’s favorite breakfasts (and snacks) was a warm, toasted English muffin with peanut butter. The peanut butter would be spread on so thick, that by the time he was halfway through, it would be oozing down the sides and onto his plate…or in his mustache. That was always fun. Smile

Now you guys all know that peanut butter is no stranger around these parts, but there’s just something about the smell of it on a toasty English muffin that brings back all of those memories.

Another smell that occasionally grabs my attention and gets me feeling all nostalgic is my linen closets. Living now in what used to be my grandparents’ old house, I’ll often get a big ‘ol whiff of what smells like my grandmother’s laundry. It’s pretty crazy!

So that actually got me thinking, and I have quite a few scents that I associate with various memories…

• Fancy Love perfume by Jessica Simpson – my wedding day
  • Tanning Towelettes – my roommate, Eileen, in college (HAHA, Eileen!) Winking smile
  • Kettle Corn – baseball games – specifically, Valley Cats games
  • Southern Comfort – a bad night at college…Embarrassed smile
  • Bath & Body Works Candy Apple & Sun-Ripened Raspberry Scents – being in middle school
  • Abercrombie cologne – dating Jay back in high school Winking smile

So fun!

**************

Now that I’ve already got my workout done for the day (Jillian Michael’s Six-Week 6 Pack Abs + 20 mins kickboxing), my breakfast ready, and my coffee mug filled, it’s time to tackle this Monday!

Question for the Day:

What scents or smells do you associate with certain memories?

Comments

ahh so true :) i always associate smells to memories, AF cologne makes me think of a boyfriend I dated in High school. Sunscreen always reminds me of summer and so does fresh cut grass!
    cait recently posted..32 Concerts

• Courtney says

Awwww, Einsteins!! I tried it for the first time a couple years ago while visiting Indianapolis and I fell in love! Unfortunately, we don’t have any of those around here…lucky! :)

2. katie says

Hey Courtney! I was just wondering, do you always listen to music or watch a show when you workout (not doing a video) early in the morning or do you just enjoy the silence and tough it out through your workout? You inspire me to get my buns up in the morning ;)…like this morning…i just finished :o)!!

• Courtney says

No, I need some stimulation! If I don’t have the TV on in front of me, then I’m definitely listening to my iPod. Especially with running on the treadmill. If I’m running outside, I might occasionally go without music and enjoy the sounds of nature (haha) but I usually need something to keep me pumped up!
      Congrats on the early morning workout! Doesn’t it feel GREAT to have it done with for the day??? 😉

Oooh I love this!! I associate Jergens Ulta Healing moisturizer with college visits because I had a travel bottle of it that I always brought with me. And Miss Dior Cherie always reminds me of my first boyfriend because I wore it throughout our relationship. Any kind of Axe reminds me of him, too. And Estee Lauder Beautiful reminds me of my grandmother. The tanning one made me laugh, because self-tanner reminds me of the summer before I started college, when I basically changed races via laying out every day and THEN putting on self tanner at night. I was SO dark!!
    Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Spanish Seafood Lovin

Such a coincidence! I made a yogurt bowl for breakfast that had pumpkin (and pumpkin pie spice) in it, and I was thinking about how it took me back to the smell of Thanksgiving mornings with pie baking!
    Molly recently posted..Italian Haunts

The smell of cinnamon sugar toast always takes my back to my grandparent’s house in the Poconos. We always had cinnamon sugar toast for breakfast when we stayed at their house!
    Karen recently posted..MIA

I have a very sensitive nose and a killer memory so a lot of smells bring back the past, its great! Polo Sport: My elementary school, middle school & highschool crush! haha..never had it in me to do anything about that! Yankee Candle fall scents: Growing up with my mother, and Victoria’s Secret Desire Perfume: All the glorious dates in the beginning of our relationship (with my soon to be husband!!!!)
    Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses recently posted..Got Milk