I Smell a Memory

by Courtney on March 14, 2011

Isn’t it strange how a certain smell can conjure a specific memory out of nowhere?

Well that’s exactly what happened to me this morning as I was preparing my peanut butter-laden breakfast.

Growing up, I can remember one of my dad’s favorite breakfasts (and snacks) was a warm, toasted English muffin with peanut butter. The peanut butter would be spread on so thick, that by the time he was halfway through, it would be oozing down the sides and onto his plate…or in his mustache. That was always fun. Smile

Now you guys all know that peanut butter is no stranger around these parts, but there’s just something about the smell of it on a toasty English muffin that brings back all of those memories.

Another smell that occasionally grabs my attention and gets me feeling all nostalgic is my linen closets. Living now in what used to be my grandparents’ old house, I’ll often get a big ‘ol whiff of what smells like my grandmother’s laundry. It’s pretty crazy!

So that actually got me thinking, and I have quite a few scents that I associate with various memories…

• Fancy Love perfume by Jessica Simpson – my wedding day
  • Tanning Towelettes – my roommate, Eileen, in college (HAHA, Eileen!) Winking smile
  • Kettle Corn – baseball games – specifically, Valley Cats games
  • Southern Comfort – a bad night at college…Embarrassed smile
  • Bath & Body Works Candy Apple & Sun-Ripened Raspberry Scents – being in middle school
  • Abercrombie cologne – dating Jay back in high school Winking smile

So fun!

**************

Now that I’ve already got my workout done for the day (Jillian Michael’s Six-Week 6 Pack Abs + 20 mins kickboxing), my breakfast ready, and my coffee mug filled, it’s time to tackle this Monday!

Question for the Day:

What scents or smells do you associate with certain memories?

1 kate@ahealthypassion March 14, 2011 at 8:45 am

Omg abercrombie scents remind me of hs too I swear every boy wore it.
kate@ahealthypassion recently posted..CSD Day 3

2 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews March 14, 2011 at 8:49 am

I think of memories of when I first met my husband with Abercrombie cologne too! It smells so good!
Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews recently posted..The Dog Behind The Nutritionist Reviews

3 Krista (kristastes) March 14, 2011 at 9:06 am

I have no idea what cologne my high school boyfriend wore, but whenever I smell it on someone I immediately think of him! Crazy how that works!

4 Holly March 14, 2011 at 9:13 am

That is too funny about the sun ripened raspberry Bath & Body smell- LOL! :D That was ‘the smell’ that you HAD to have in middle school!! I remember those days too ;)
Holly recently posted..Final Fitting DONE!

5 Amanda @ Fashionably Plate March 14, 2011 at 9:17 am

I love the smell of sunscreen! Reminds me of wonderful summers spent at the pool and beach!
Amanda @ Fashionably Plate recently posted..Thriveday Recap- No Taste like Home

6 cait March 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

ahh so true :) i always associate smells to memories, AF cologne makes me think of a boyfriend I dated in High school. Sunscreen always reminds me of summer and so does fresh cut grass!
cait recently posted..32 Concerts

7 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 14, 2011 at 9:25 am

Did every boy in high school wear AF cologne? It will forever remind me of my high school boyfriend. The smell of an indoor pool take me back to my days as a swimmer and the smell of the grill outside is a sure sign summer is here :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Icing Overload

8 KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness March 14, 2011 at 9:28 am

So funny, the smell of toast with peanut butter reminds me of my Dad too! Only he would also add bacon (I know weird) but to this day when I make my pre-race or workout pb on toast or an english muffin I think of him :)

9 Tara @ The Game of Life March 14, 2011 at 9:38 am

Your breakfast looks great! I love going to Einsteins bagel shop and getting a power bagel with pb!

Smell:
Maple Oatmeal reminds me of my sister, because she hates the smell and banned me from maple oatmeal!! hah
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..My birthday festivities have already started

10 Courtney March 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Awwww, Einsteins!! I tried it for the first time a couple years ago while visiting Indianapolis and I fell in love! Unfortunately, we don’t have any of those around here…lucky! :)

11 Jessica March 14, 2011 at 9:40 am

Yummm, this breakfast is such a classic! Never gets old…
The smell of melted peanut butter on toast/bread is so delicious.

Check out my peanut-butter-n-jam energy balls I made on my blog! They’re so so good!

xo Jessica

Jessica recently posted..Egg-cellent Lunch

12 Melissa March 14, 2011 at 9:46 am

OMG this happens to me ALL the time! Especially those 2 B&B scents–definitely high school for me! :)

13 katie March 14, 2011 at 9:47 am

Hey Courtney! I was just wondering, do you always listen to music or watch a show when you workout (not doing a video) early in the morning or do you just enjoy the silence and tough it out through your workout? You inspire me to get my buns up in the morning ;)…like this morning…i just finished :o)!!

14 Courtney March 14, 2011 at 5:50 pm

No, I need some stimulation! If I don’t have the TV on in front of me, then I’m definitely listening to my iPod. Especially with running on the treadmill. If I’m running outside, I might occasionally go without music and enjoy the sounds of nature (haha) but I usually need something to keep me pumped up!
Congrats on the early morning workout! Doesn’t it feel GREAT to have it done with for the day??? ;)

15 Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 14, 2011 at 11:13 am

Haha oh man, there are so many! Certain colognes make me think of certain boys (of course) and crab dip makes me think of my mom because I would always whine when she kept it in the fridge and it made everything else stink like fish!!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Things I’m L-O-V-I-N-G

16 Shanna, Like Banana March 14, 2011 at 11:29 am

PB Toast for my Mom for sure.

CK-One for my Freshman year in HS.

Wisteria because of my wedding day.
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Things I’m loving…

17 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Oooh I love this!! I associate Jergens Ulta Healing moisturizer with college visits because I had a travel bottle of it that I always brought with me. And Miss Dior Cherie always reminds me of my first boyfriend because I wore it throughout our relationship. Any kind of Axe reminds me of him, too. And Estee Lauder Beautiful reminds me of my grandmother. The tanning one made me laugh, because self-tanner reminds me of the summer before I started college, when I basically changed races via laying out every day and THEN putting on self tanner at night. I was SO dark!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Spanish Seafood Lovin

18 Molly March 14, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Such a coincidence! I made a yogurt bowl for breakfast that had pumpkin (and pumpkin pie spice) in it, and I was thinking about how it took me back to the smell of Thanksgiving mornings with pie baking!
Molly recently posted..Italian Haunts

19 Karen March 14, 2011 at 4:48 pm

The smell of cinnamon sugar toast always takes my back to my grandparent’s house in the Poconos. We always had cinnamon sugar toast for breakfast when we stayed at their house!
Karen recently posted..MIA

20 Megan (Braise The Roof) March 14, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Michael Kors perfume reminds me of a beach vacation I took 2 years ago. Obviously I wear it a lot. ;)
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Green Scene

21 Alexa @ Simple Eats March 14, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Kinda weird, but the smell of moth balls reminds me of my Grandmother’s house. I love the smell of Coco Chanel Mademoiselle and it reminds me of high school.
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..New Love

22 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 14, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Haha – I was also going to mention moth balls and my grandma’s house! :)

23 Courtney March 14, 2011 at 8:02 pm

OMG me too!!!!!! Unfortunately, it got so bad at one point, that the food started to taste like moth balls too. YUCK!

24 Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses March 14, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I have a very sensitive nose and a killer memory so a lot of smells bring back the past, its great! Polo Sport: My elementary school, middle school & highschool crush! haha..never had it in me to do anything about that! Yankee Candle fall scents: Growing up with my mother, and Victoria’s Secret Desire Perfume: All the glorious dates in the beginning of our relationship (with my soon to be husband!!!!)
Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses recently posted..Got Milk

25 Jardan March 15, 2011 at 1:01 am

The smell of britney spear’s Fantasy perfume reminds me of college days, locked up in my little room, studying and missing home lol
Jardan recently posted..March 15- 2011

26 Liv March 15, 2011 at 7:11 am

I totally feel you on the SoCo scent. Except it’s Captain Morgan’s rum for me :(