It Never Hurts To Ask

by Courtney on March 20, 2011

Today has been a nice, productive little Sunday!

As planned, I met up with fellow, local bloggers Jen & Melissa this afternoon at Flavour Café for some brunch.

Even though it was 12:00 when we met, I still call it brunch since I hadn’t eaten a full breakfast yet and I can NOT make my first meal of the day anything but breakfast. Winking smile

Since today is the first day of spring, and the sun was shining, I figured an iced coffee was in order. Today’s flavor of choice was “Jamaican Me Crazy” with a little skim milk. Always a favorite!

For my “brunch,” I ordered the Breakfast Wrap, which is 2 eggs, provolone, ham and salsa in a flour tortilla.

I asked for light on the cheese, which they did an excellent job of, but I also ordered egg whites, which they apparently forgot about. Ohh well, it was still tasty!

I was also in the mood for a little somethin’ sweet, so I decided to add a side of fresh fruit.

The fruit bowl ended up being quite filling so I ate half of my wrap and brought the other half home…which was consumed about two hours later. Winking smile

The rest of the afternoon consisted of some household duties, including laundry, paying bills, and bonfires.

Bonfires?? Eye rolling smile

Yes, that’s what Jay and I do when we clean out all of our old files and have stacks of paper statements that pile up to our knees…we burn them. ‘Cuz that’s how we roll. Winking smile

************

Never Underestimate the Power of a Phone Call

While I was taking care of paying some bills this afternoon (I’m the money handler in this house) I happened to be checking the web banking for one of our accounts when I realized I made a big oops.

Basically, I thought there was more money in our account than there really was and ended up being slapped with a big ‘ol $37.00 insufficient funds fee.

Bummerrrrr.

However, I figured I’d give our bank a call and see if there was anything they could do to help me out. I explained (verrrry kindly!) to the customer service representative that we are always very responsible for making sure that our account is in good standing and happened to have a mix-up. After being put on hold for a few minutes, she came back to tell me that she reviewed our account and allowed us a full refund for the fee!

Lesson learned? It never hurts to ask! The worst they can say is “no,” right?

I immediately made sure to let Jay know just how lucky he is to have such a “Budget Savvy Wife.”

IMG_1209-1

I think he must have been super happy with me, because he happily took care of tonight’s dinner all on his own. This made me very, very happy!

On Friday, we ended up picking up a “Take & Bake Pizza for 2” at Price Chopper, expecting to cook it up while our friends were here watching basketball. Well, it never made it out, so we decided to save it for tonight.

The pizza itself was actually just a simple cheese pizza, but Jay sautéed up some peppers & onions and grilled a small chicken breast to jazz it up.

The toppings definitely made the pizza…it was great! Smile

To round out the meal, we had a couple simple salads.

And enjoyed them, once again, in the living room at the coffee table.

Still no luck on that kitchen table shopping! Grrrrr…

Time to relax and unwind before it’s back to the work week tomorrow!

Question for the Day:

How are you “budget savvy?”

1 Eva March 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Those meals look verrrry tasty. Really great that the bank was able to refund you the fee, too! I wish I could do backyard burning to get rid of all those unwanted credit card applications that come in the mail, but I live in an apartment in LA so I hold onto mine until I go up north to visit my parents in oregon, where they are free to burn whatever they please :)
Eva recently posted..Bacon Avocado Salad with Bacon Dripping Dressing

2 Amanda March 20, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Way to go on getting your refund! Whenever a weird charge comes up on my credit card account I always ask about it and ask for a refund. I sometimes even do it right through e-mail and they are always very helpful and understanding.
Amanda recently posted..Catching up- Matchbox- a Blogger Brunch- Cava Grille and one day of silence

3 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 20, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Good for you! My mom is the money person in my family too. I’m good with spending (aka saving) my money, but I am no good at paying bills or anything like that. I have one credit card for “emergencies” haha. I am so thankful that I’m marrying a finance (and very budget savvy) guy :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Weekend Wrap Up

4 Darcu March 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Food all looks yummy!
By the way, have you ever heard of a paper shredder?????? :-)
PS I have a snack for you to try tomorrow….

5 Karen March 20, 2011 at 8:36 pm

That’s so great that your bank was able to credit your account for your overdraft fee! I tend to be pretty budget savvy and definitely keep a close eye on our bank accounts. My husband is pretty budget savvy too…actually he’s pretty cheap. : )
Karen recently posted..London Broil Marinade

6 Liz @ iheartvegetables March 20, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Yay! That’s nice that the bank fixed it! And you’re right, it doesn’t hurt to ask!! :)

hahaha I love that you burned the old bills!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..I Can’t Believe It Worked…

7 Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses March 20, 2011 at 10:38 pm

That is awesome that they gave you your money back! You are pretty savy! I handle all the bills in this house too and while I enjoy it…we all make mistakes! Glad yours turned out ok! Pizza looks good…yummie!
Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses recently posted..Breaking Habits

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 21, 2011 at 7:32 am

I’m definitely NOT the money handler in this house, but when I wasn’t married, I made a few whoopsies before too. I always asked for them to reverse the fees and they always do!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

9 Brittney March 21, 2011 at 7:52 am

Nice work on the refund! I try to be pretty careful about spending. I’m kind of bad about knowing the EXACT amount in my account, but I usually have a pretty close ball park idea ;)
Brittney recently posted..Fun Times!

10 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 21, 2011 at 8:11 am

Nice banking skills! Love the branding on your picture, LOL. In the past I haven’t been very budget-savvy. :( But I have been practicing and getting much better at saving, aka less waste! :)
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Peace Out Jack Frost- What Up Springtime!

11 CaSaundra March 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Ooh that wrap looks super good–isn’t brunch just the best thing ever?

And if you haven’t noticed, I’ve been super behind on catching up with blogs..I blame it on the last stretch of the semester. Anyways, SO sorry to hear about your job. You always seem so passionate about it, so I’m sure it’s very tough, but at least you’re looking at the glass half full. Usually better things come to those of us who have good attitudes about things even when they suck. Hang in there! :-)