Cooking with Cozies and Cody

by Courtney on March 23, 2011

Happy, Happy Wednesday! How are we all doin’ today??

I’ve been a little on the tired side all day, which has me confused because I actually got a decent amount of sleep last night. Who knows…?

Despite a little extra grogginess, I powered through my Jillian Michael’s No More Trouble Zones workout this morning with “power and intention!” <—Total Jillian talk right there. Winking smile I’ll tell ya, I’m really likin’ this workout…

…and it sure works up an appetite!

For breakfast, I cooked up another creamy catch of buckwheat, using the same ingredients as I did last time.

The granola definitely helped add that little extra “crunch” I’m always looking for. So good!

Today’s lunch was pretty much an exact replica from Monday’s lunch, so I’ll spare ya the details, other than the fact that it was just as yummy as before.

*************

Dinnah Time!

Before leaving for work this morning, I took a couple pieces of chicken out of the freezer to defrost for tonight’s dinner, not yet knowing what to make with them. After rummaging through the fridge, I came across some of this…

A couple weeks ago, I was sent some POM Wonderful juices to sample and had yet to give them a try. I figured tonight would be as good a night as any!

But before getting anything started, I made sure to change into my cozies. Cooking in cozies is a necessity; I love my cozies…I also love that little glass of wine you see there next to me while I’m cooking in my cozies. Oh yes, and I also love being kinda goofy. Winking smile

IMG_1271   IMG_1272

(After sneaking up on me with that one on the right, hubby’s response was “Oh boy, THAT’s a good one…” Yeah, I’m classy…and thought you’d all appreciate it.)

Perhaps this little bugger is rubbing off on me?

Cody’s always always there to keep me company while I’m cooking. He does a wonderful job of finding himself right underneath my feet no matter where I go. And, of course, he’s always got to be right in the middle of the action.

Case in point: Tonight I did a great job of spilling quinoa all over the floor…

Let me tell you, quinoa is not fun to pick up. Not at all! Disappointed smile

Cody, on the other hand, didn’t seem to mind and was more than willing to scope out the scene.

“Ummm, ok I’m not sure what the heck this is Mom…?”

“But I’m gonna sniff it and play around in it anyways!” Winking smile

Gotta love him!

Finally, the kitchen was picked up and dinner was served! I used a recipe from the POM Wonderful website for POM and Balsamic Glazed Chicken. It was fairly easy to make and the glaze had amazing flavor. Jay and I both decided that we’d make the glaze again but probably put it over some grilled chicken rather than cooking it in a skillet as the directions called for.

On the side we had some super-snappy garlic green beans, which were tasty, but apparently not cooked quite long enough.

AND I made some POM quinoa! I cooked up the quinoa using half water and half POM wonderful juice. It’s awesome, and I think would be even more awesome if incorporated into some sort of breakfast dish…?

That other little side you see there are some baby carrots and onions which were cooked in with the POM glaze. They were super tasty, too.

I’ve now got a sweet tooth that is running rampant, and I’m not exactly sure what I’m going to do to cure it…

Perhaps a mug of hot chocolate and some PB + graham crackers will do the trick tonight? I think that sounds mighty tempting! Especially while watching some Modern Family. Open-mouthed smile

Question for the Evening:

What are your cooking essentials??

1 Ally (oatsandspice) March 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm

MMMmmm your oatmeal looks amazing! (and the rest of your food for that matter)
Ally (oatsandspice) recently posted..Appetite For Deliciousness

2 Shanna, like Banana March 23, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I loved my POM pack…as for the sweet quinoa I made a sweet breakfast one a month ago or so that has apples, cranberries, and slivered almonds..soo good!
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Closet Giveaway- Blue Crossbody Purse

3 Stacie March 23, 2011 at 8:07 pm

That dinner looks sooo good!

Hope your hot chocolate hits the spot!
Stacie recently posted..This is just ridiculous!

4 Melissa March 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Ha! I totally change into my cozies before cooking–actually, pretty much as soon as I get home from school! Guess I’m classy, too. ;) I also have to have something to sip on, whether it’s wine, beer, or good ol’ H2O!
Melissa recently posted..Island Inspired

5 Tara @ The Game of Life March 23, 2011 at 8:36 pm

All your food looks amazing! Your cat cracks me up… too bad he couldnt lick it all up for ya!
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..Inspiration

6 kate@ahealthypassion March 23, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Dinner looks delish I love the idea of a POM glaze, so healthy. Cooking essential for me would be coconut oil I use it in everything and of course sea salt :)
kate@ahealthypassion recently posted..Recap

7 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 23, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Great idea with the POM juice! And I’m with ya on cooking in the comfy clothes. After being in “work” clothes all day – I start dreaming about my comfy pants around 4:30 ;)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Weekend Wrap Up

8 Karen March 23, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Wow…you did a great job of incorporating that POM into your meal…so creative!! My cooking essentials are EVOO, salt and pepper…they can go a long way with almost anything!
Karen recently posted..Wednesday Love

9 Katy (The Singing Runner) March 23, 2011 at 9:16 pm

POM quinoa sounds amazing! :D Yummy! :D
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Single And Ready To Mingle

10 Olivia March 23, 2011 at 9:28 pm

omg…that glaze looks AMAZING!!! and so does your oatmeal…ok, you take some great pics girl, I love it!
Olivia recently posted..I love you ALL!!

11 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm

haha quinoa is the WORST to clean up. cooked or uncooked! your chicken looks delicious :)
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Lindsay Doesn’t Love…

12 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 23, 2011 at 9:50 pm

There’s a lot of POM going on in this meal – nice! :)
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..For Japan With Love

13 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) March 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Love the buckwheat! I still haven’t bought any and I keep wanting to make Ashley’s breakfast bake. Granola always makes for the perfect topper :) I love cooking in my comfy clothes too, and how annoying to have to pick up quinoa but not worse then when I spilled coffee grinds all over the place. That really sucked lol
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Sweetest Thing

14 Sarah March 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm

if i’m at home i pretty much require to be in comfy clothes (sweats) :)
Sarah recently posted..Donut Day

15 Alyssa Kuminski March 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Love the glaze… Looks like a really delicious dinner!
Your kitchen looks so awesome btw :) Worth the wait I think!
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..I’m loving it…

16 Khushboo March 24, 2011 at 1:26 am

PJs/sweats are a must while I’m cooking- something to do wtih not getting the ‘smell’ of what’s cooking on my ‘outdoor’ clothes! I just wanted to say that despite your Downer Debbie post the other day, it’s so great at how you’ve maintained such a positive attitude, it really comes through in your blog/style of writing!
Khushboo recently posted..Lessons to learn

17 Megan March 24, 2011 at 1:53 am

Your cat is adorable! And I love that breakfast and dinner, they both look delicious and healthy too.
Megan recently posted..Lemon and Clam Vermicelli

18 Sarah May C March 24, 2011 at 5:38 am

Hey we have that exact same bottle of POM left over from our New Year’s party – how weird, and I didn’t know you could cook with it – we were making cocktails!

I can recommend it with a dash of vodka, lime juice, something else (I can’t remember… maybe I can get you the recipe?) shaken over ice topped with a scoop of passion fruit in a martini glass… mm-mmm!

Shame the bottle is half empty and has been open since Jan… time to go!

19 Courtney March 24, 2011 at 8:14 am

Sounds delicious! :)

20 CaSaundra March 24, 2011 at 9:50 am

I love cooking in sweats..you can never be too comfy in the kitchen!

21 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 24, 2011 at 12:49 pm

The first thing I do when I get home from work is change into my sweats!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

22 Shayla March 24, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Love it, those are my two essentials too right when I get home, get comfies on and a nice glass of Reisling, ahhhh! :)

23 amy March 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I immediately put my comfy clothes on when I get home before I do anything.
I can’t wait to try buckwheat, I bought chia seeds yesterday and when I ate them I felt like they made my stomach bloat alot. They were good though.