Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Courtney on March 28, 2011

Gooood Morning! How would ya’ll like a nice, good ‘ol cookie recipe to start off your Monday??

About a month ago while grocery shopping, I picked up a jar of this:

Would you believe, that in my 27 years of life, I had never once tried Nutella? It always sounded good, but I guess maybe part of me was scared to buy it; I love chocolate, and I love hazelnuts.

Putting the two together could spell T.R.O.U.B.L.E for me.

Well last week, I decided I had waited long enough and dug right in. Sure enough, one bite is all it took for me to realize that this jar would stand no chance in my house…WOW.

Why in the world did I wait so long to try this?!?!?! Disappointed smile

So, in an attempt to save myself from sitting down and eating out of the jar with an ice cream scoop, I decided to do the next best thing…put it in a cookie.

This may be one of the best decisions I’ve made in a long time. Well, besides last night’s mac & cheese. Winking smile

Trust me on this one…go fire up your mixer!

************

First, start off by mixing your dry ingredients.

Next, cream together your butter and sugars until nice and fluffy.

Add in your vanilla extract and the star ingredient!

Next, add in the egg and mix well.

Once all the wet ingredients are incorporated, add in your dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

Stir in the chocolate chips by hand, and then it’s time to get bakin’! Smile

Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to drop dough about 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.

Bake for about 10 minutes, allow to cool on baking sheet, and then try your best not to dig in immediately. Winking smile

These cookies really are perfect. They have a similar consistency to a peanut butter cookie: slightly crumbly on the outside, yet moist and chewy on the inside.

The original recipe I found called for cocoa powder in the cookies, but I think that the chocolate from the Nutella and the chips is plenty.

I also love the subtle hint of cinnamon you get every once in a while. It’s a nice surprise and really lends an excellent flavor to the overall cookie.

If you ask me, I think you should try to make these cookies, ASAP.

Just sayin’! Winking smile

***********

Just catching up from the weekend?

I ate cupcakes for breakfast…

Jay and I took an adventure though Massachusetts.

I indulged in an amazing new mac & cheese recipe!

************

Question for the Day:

Have you ever tried Nutella? If so, what’s your favorite way to eat it?

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 28, 2011 at 8:27 am

I absolutely adore Nutella. I haven’t had it in a few years because it can’t be trusted around me!
    chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

2 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 28, 2011 at 8:32 am

I’m so so glad you’ve joined the Nutella bandwagon! When I was in Europe this summer, this is all I ate – I had to find it as soon as I got back to the States. Now it’s a staple in my kitchen. Thank you for posting this recipe – I might just have to try it out at the end of the week :)

3 Victoria March 28, 2011 at 8:39 am

Looks soooo yummy!!

I thought you gave up sweets for Lent though?

4 Courtney March 28, 2011 at 8:42 am

Not completely, only after dinner…that’s my biggest challenge. :)

5 Victoria March 28, 2011 at 8:43 am

Ohh ok! So sneaky :D

6 Jess@atasteofconfidence March 28, 2011 at 8:40 am

I used to have nutella when I was a kid, but I haven’t in a really long time. Cookies look great!
    Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..media schmedia

7 Liz March 28, 2011 at 8:41 am

Yum!! So… I’ve had an unopened jar of Nutella in my CAR for like 6 months! I guess I’d have been doing just fine if I had gotten trapped in one of our 500 winter blizzards?! Anyway, maybe I’ll put it to use with some baking. :)

8 Kimberley March 28, 2011 at 8:43 am

I have never tried Nutella before either! I think mainly due to the same reasons you have listed… but the cookies look super delicious. I may have to try it out :)
    Kimberley recently posted..I have a Confession!

9 Blog is the New Black March 28, 2011 at 8:57 am

I only recently tried it myself and I can’t buy it anymore because the jar DISAPPEARED in… hours.
    Blog is the New Black recently posted..Tuscan Garlic Chicken

10 Jackie @ Baking Charms March 28, 2011 at 9:05 am

I tried Nutella for the first time a few years ago while on a trip to Vietnam… lets just say we all became obsessed with it! It’s delicious on toast :)
    Jackie @ Baking Charms recently posted..Holler for a new food processor

11 cait March 28, 2011 at 9:07 am

i LOVE Nutella! I made pb cookies with Nutella in the middle and they were amazing but I would love to try these choc. chip ones! nom nom nom! xo ps if you have extra’s I’d be happy to take them off your hands ;)
    cait recently posted..new blog award

12 Courtney March 28, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Hehehe ;)

13 Stephanie @cookinfanatic March 28, 2011 at 9:34 am

I can’t believe that nutella made it a month in your house, it only lasts a matter of days in ours! My boyfriend eats spoonfuls of it from the jar haha, it stands no chance. I like to drizzle it over a banana for a treat. The cookies look great :)
    Stephanie @cookinfanatic recently posted..The Gracious Gourmet

14 Tara @ The Game Of Life March 28, 2011 at 10:09 am

Omg I love nutela!!!! I could eat a whole jar easily, but I love dipping pretzels in it :)
    Tara @ The Game Of Life recently posted..Inspiration

15 Shanna, Like Banana March 28, 2011 at 10:34 am

Nom! My bestie would be all over these!
    Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Weighty matters — part 3

16 Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 28, 2011 at 10:35 am

I actually didn’t really like nutella when I finally got around to trying it! But I did use it to make little muffins (sort of like these cookies!) And they were pretty good!
    Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Vegan Buckeyes!

17 Kelly March 28, 2011 at 10:36 am

I love Nutella…it is amazing. I actually hadn’t tried it before either until a few years ago. Since it IS so sweet I actually like it with something salty…like crackers or drizzled over popcorn. I am such a sucker for the sweet/salty combination.

18 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun March 28, 2011 at 10:54 am

Love Nutella! It never lasts long in our house. Those cookies wouldn’t either. They look amazing!
    Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..My Ode To Trader Joe’s

19 Khushboo March 28, 2011 at 10:58 am

27 years without Nutella??? Dayuum! I grew up on this stuff: on pancakes, toast, digestive biscuits dipped in, with apples/strawberries, as cake frosting, banana & nutella crepes, on a spoon…hmmm no wonder I was a chubby kid ;)
    Khushboo recently posted..Antioxidants on steroids

20 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 28, 2011 at 11:19 am

I can’t believe you’ve never had Nutella?! Seriously?! It was a staple in our house growing up. You couldn’t get it in the US until maybe 10-15 years ago, so we’d bring back jars of it from France twice a year. Crazy good!! I love it most on warm croissants…what it was created for!
    Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Waffling

21 Cara March 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I love Nutella! I never buy it though because I would down the jar in a second! Those cookies look great!

22 Christina March 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm

This was a dangerous blog for me to read. I had to come home early today because my babysitter had a family emergency. Jacks is sleeping and I was just deciding what I should do. These look fabulous…..if only I had some Nutella, however it will be on my shopping list.
    I tried Nutella years ago but wouldn’t buy it for I knew I would just eat it straight from the jar by the spoonful. This gives me a reason to try buy it, i will just have to make sure to freeze the majority of the cookies asap. I have no control.

23 Megan (Braise The Roof) March 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Oh man, I’m so glad you finally tried Nutella! I don’t usually buy it because it stands no chance in my kitchen, either! Did you know that it goes well with, oh, EVERYTHING?! Those cookies look amazing, but I’m pretty sure they’d get me in as much trouble as just the jar sitting there- no self control! :)
    Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..I Am Stronger Than The Cheese

24 Erica March 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm

i LOVE nutella! i made the mistake of buying it from costco…bad move! i need to stick w/tiny jars :)

it’s great on bananas and i’ve heard nutella crepes are fab!
    Erica recently posted..quarter-year check-in

25 Mariana March 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Nutella is very popular in Mexico; we eat it in white bread sandwiches, but I will definitely try your recipe!
    Mariana recently posted..Una no muy buena semana

26 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer March 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Wow!!! I can’t believe you waited 27 years to try nutellla!! That is CRAZY!!! Okay, I want some of those cookies now!!
    Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Pescatarian

27 April March 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I love Nutella. It is very sweet, so I like to mix a small spoon of Nutella with a bigger spoon of natural pb and use that for dipping pretzels. MMmmmmM.

28 Courtney March 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm

YUM!!! :)

29 Anna @ ciaotochow March 28, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I’m studying abraod in Rome right now, and Nutella is EVERYWHERE! Nutella gelato, nutella-filled cornettos/croissants…you name it, they’ve got it. It’s so delicious — even in sandwich form! I’m definitely trying this recipe when I am reunited with my kitchen in May :)

30 Kristen March 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm

nutella makes everything better! :-)
    Kristen recently posted..New Theme- Rusty Grunge

31 Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses March 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Those look amazing! I’m with you, I have never tried Nutella. Ever. What scares me is that I’ll like it too much so I just stay away. Not good if you eat the whole thing! But this recipe is making me rethink my decision!
    Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses recently posted..Grocery Shopping on a Budget

32 Courtney March 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm

YES! The recipe uses probably 2/3 of the jar, so there’s only 1/3 left to do damage. ;)

33 michelle March 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Surprisingly, Nutella is one of those foods that I just don’t ‘get’ what’s so great about :P My dad eats it out of the jar like it’s pudding… Ick!!
    But those cookies look gooooood… and they look like they have the perfect texture. Maybe I’ll bake up a batch for my dad :D
    michelle recently posted..Baci di Dama cookies Italian for “ladies’ kiss”

34 michelle March 28, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Oh, and I’m just curious….. when you bake cookies, do you and Jay usually finish the whole batch by yourselves/what do you do with the leftovers if you have any? When I bake cookies, I always have some leftovers that nobody touches (especially when I try to experiment and make not-so-tasty cookies :P )
    michelle recently posted..Baci di Dama cookies Italian for “ladies’ kiss”

35 Courtney March 28, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Oh gosh…if we kept them all for ourselves, then we’d most surely polish them off. But I’ll usually bring a few into work to share with my co-workers, or I’ll send some in with Jay to bring to work, too. Sometimes, I’ll also freeze some. For example, I just took a few frozen cinnamon chip scones out of the freezer yesterday that I had saved! :)

36 Bethany March 28, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I am 26 and I never had Nutella til this year either!! I am addicted. A D D I C T E D. I eat it with coco pop rice crisps (I buy them @ Wegman’s) they are like a rice cake. I can’t get enough of this stuff. Mmmmm!!!

37 Brenda @Year 25 March 28, 2011 at 6:32 pm

These look awesome! I agree with other people who’ve said you should open a bakery! There’s a place called Hot Box Cookies (http://www.hotboxcookies.com/) where I live, and it seems like a perfect place for you to work /own. : )
    Brenda @Year 25 recently posted..Learning to Decorate

38 Courtney March 28, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Aww, thank you!!
    That place looks AWESOME! Do you ever order from them? I feel like I’d be ordering ALL the time. ;)

39 Colleen @ Colleen's Better Bites March 28, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Nutella is great!! I had it for the first time in Paris a bunch of years ago. I can’t buy it often because I will eat it with a spoon! I bet you could make great pancakes with it too.
    Colleen @ Colleen’s Better Bites recently posted..The Running Breakup

40 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 28, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Yum! I made these last summer – so, SO good!
    Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Cali Tour- Stanford University

41 Mama Kelly aka Jia March 28, 2011 at 9:32 pm

OMGs My girls adore Nutella and adding it a cookie they will just adore them.
    Mama Kelly aka Jia recently posted..Chickpea Black Bean Salad

42 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) March 29, 2011 at 5:39 am

I love nutella!! Once I discovered it, there was no going back ;) I recently ran out like 2 months ago and never bought just since I have so many nut butter jars at home. I do miss it though, love the cookies!! :D
    Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Battle Of The Oats

43 Brittney March 29, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Whoa! I have TWO jars of Nutella in my pantry. I think I know I what I’m doing with them! Those look crazy good :)
    Brittney recently posted..Social Blogger

44 Karen March 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I have my kids hooked on Nutella. They ask for “chocolate tacos” which means Nutella on a whole wheat tortilla : )
    Karen recently posted..Long Time no Blog

45 Christina March 31, 2011 at 12:38 pm

nutella is one of the best things ever! these cookies look amazing.
    Christina recently posted..Half Marathon Training Plan

46 Julie March 31, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Seeing your post reminded me that I had a nearly full jar of Nutella in the cupboard. I was missing some ingredients for the cookies so I tried Nutella chocolate cupcakes instead! I went the easy route and made triple chocolate cupcakes from the box, made a hole and squeezed some Nutella in the middle, and topped it off with vanilla buttercreme frosting…I am currently eating one now :)

47 Courtney March 31, 2011 at 3:15 pm

HOLY COW!!!!! Can you send some my way?!?!?! :-D

48 Heather March 31, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I just made these. OMG they are so amazing. You are right, the little bit of cinnamon is perfect. Great recipe!

49 Heather August 31, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Just wanted to tell you that I made these for a family BBQ and they were a HUGE hit. I did sub in some ww flour and cut the butter with applesauce though to make myself feel better about eating them lol. But still, amazing! Thanks!

50 Adeline Petersen December 13, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Those cookies look great! I love Nutella…it is amazing.
    Adeline Petersen recently posted..Gout Tips

51 Rebecca December 19, 2011 at 10:15 am

I made these for a holiday party and everyone was raving about them! I’m pretty sure I could inhale an entire batch by myself – so good!

52 Alexa December 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm

just made these and they are so good! my whole family loves them! thanks! =]