Top or Bottom?

by Courtney on March 30, 2011

It seems like lately, I just can’t get enough peanut butter in the mornings. It’s all I’m craving! So it should come as no surprise that today’s breakfast is an exact replica of yesterday’s.

The only difference in today’s combo was some raisins.

Too bad I hadn’t thought about it yesterday…it was a nice little touch! Smile

Along with my English muffin was a festive mug-o-joe. Yup, I brought out the Easter decorations! Why not, right? They’re cute. Smile

As I was enjoying this morning’s English muffin, I couldn’t help but notice the difference between the top and the bottom. All my life, I’ve always saved the top of the English muffin for last because it’s my favorite.

I like how the top always seems to be a bit “plumper,” whereas the bottom half usually ends up being hollowed out.

However, when it comes to bagels, I like saving the bottom for last, yet I really have no particular reason why? Hey, I guess maybe I’m just a weirdo…

orrrr maybe not…let’s see what you guys think! Winking smile

Question for the Day:

Which half do you like better for English muffins and bagels – Top or Bottom??

1 Meagan March 30, 2011 at 10:26 am

I like the bottom because it gets crispy from the toaster! I like a good crunch to my breakfast! :)

2 Susan March 30, 2011 at 10:31 am

I like the top, it’s fluffier ;) And you just made me so hungry. I need to not read food blogs before lunch.. ugh.
Susan recently posted..Stuck- but at least I know why

3 Alexis March 30, 2011 at 10:35 am

This is so funny…I am exactly the same. Top for muffins, bottom for bagels!!! (Now I want a PB one of each!!) :)

4 Kelly March 30, 2011 at 10:47 am

I always save the top for last because it is fluffier…same as you!
Kelly recently posted..drama mama

5 Danica March 30, 2011 at 10:48 am

I eat whichever half is thicker last-yum!

6 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 30, 2011 at 10:50 am

I’m not a huge english muffin person, but with bagels, I ALWAYS save the bottom for last! It tends to be denser and since I cream-cheese it first, it usually gets the more generous schmear of the goods!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..One Hell of a Monday

7 kelly March 30, 2011 at 11:00 am

Haha, I thought I was a huge weirdo because I will never ever eat the top first. I also find myself doing it with sandwich thins, even though there is not really a difference.
kelly recently posted..Being creepy

8 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 30, 2011 at 11:17 am

Top is definitely better, I agree. Though I’ll take a bagel over an english muffin any day- way carbier. YUM :)
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Waffling

9 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries March 30, 2011 at 11:23 am

I just can’t get enough peanut butter this week too! I’ve been having it with my oats every morning!

I like the top halves of bagels better just because they seem to be crispier? Esp if they have toppings. As for English muffins I’ve never had a preference.

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 30, 2011 at 11:28 am

My picks:

Top of the English Muffin
Bottom of the Muffin (yes, the bottom)
Top of the bagel.
Top of the cupcake (hell, skip the cupcake and just give me frosting!)

11 Courtney March 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I like your style. ;)

12 Tara @ The Game Of Life March 30, 2011 at 11:30 am

Yummy!!! Love the addition of raisins! I like the top the best!! ESP when I get a bagel from einsteins bc I don’t like the things they put on the bottom.
Tara @ The Game Of Life recently posted..Inspiration

13 Jess@atasteofconfidence March 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

I save the bottom because it’s always a little bigger!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..media schmedia

14 Tara @ The Game Of Life March 30, 2011 at 11:54 am

Yummy!!! Love the addition of raisins! I like the top the best!! ESP when I get a bagel from einsteins bc I don’t like the things they put on the bottom!
Tara @ The Game Of Life recently posted..Inspiration

15 Allie March 30, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I’m a top half person – it seems to be fluffier – but really anything smothered in PB and topped with banana is good with me.

16 christina March 30, 2011 at 12:09 pm

bottoms of course – they are bigger!!
christina recently posted..Sweet &amp Summery Chicken Salad

17 Jen March 30, 2011 at 12:38 pm

The tops get saved for last, always! Especially with bagels! I’m a bit of a bagel snob though – in high school I worked at a coffee/bagel shop that made their own bagels, and they are AMAZING, but my favorite bagels were the Tillamook cheese bagel, or the Asiago Spinach bagel and both had cheeses melted on top during baking, so clearly the top was the best half! I will forever love bagels, YUM!

18 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run March 30, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Well, well, I never thought of the raisin idea before. I’m so going to steal that from you. :-)

Oh…and the top. For sure.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Ultra Music Festival 2011

19 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 30, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Oh, I save the top for last – no question about it! :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Where the Heck did Tuesday Go!

20 Stefanie March 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’m the same way! Love the tops of the muffins because their thicker & softer, whereas I like the bottom of bagels because its thicker/bigger!

21 Shayla March 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’m totally with you on that one!! Love love the top of english muffins. They’re so much more fluffier and doughier than the bottom. I’ve even before made a sandwich with both tops and gave the bottoms to my hubby! Haha! Same with bagels, love the top better! :)

22 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I like the tops of english muffins best because they’re less crusty and don’t have the corn meal on the bottom. As for bagels, I like the bottom too!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

23 Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 30, 2011 at 1:36 pm

ohhh I think the top of the bagel is the best! Especially if it’s an “everything” bagel because then you get more seasoning!!! YUM!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..A Day in the Life of My Tummy

24 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) March 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I don’t think I’m that picky about the top or bottom of an English muffins, but I actually prefer the top of a bagel!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Back to Running

25 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer March 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I like to eat the bottom first!! Can’t tell you why, just my weird habit!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..See ya Later Cocktails &amp Best Dessert

26 Melissa March 30, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Awe, your breakfast is smiling! :D

I like the bottoms because of the cornmeal crust. I’m a big texture/crunch person and that totally does it for me!

27 Alyssa Kuminski March 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I eat the bottom last because its bigger!!
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..Honored

28 courtney @ cupcakedynamite March 30, 2011 at 3:30 pm

bahaha, I like the bottom of both! I was just thinking about this today, too – as I ate too soon and started with the top of my bagel. ;)
courtney @ cupcakedynamite recently posted..gymnastics mania !!!!!

29 Kimberley March 30, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I like bagels better! And with regards to which half, I would definitly choose the top bc i like the “crunch” it gives.
Kimberley recently posted..Spring Blues

30 Jamie at hesometimeshealthylivingblog.wordpress.com March 30, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I like the top of english muffins! I agree that it’s much more fluffy :-) With bagels, I like both sides – my problem is stopping after just one. PS your english muffin look amaazing!
Jamie at hesometimeshealthylivingblog.wordpress.com recently posted..National Marathon Recap Part 1 – Because we ALL Want A Rudy Moment

31 Courtney March 30, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Thank You! It was…simple, yet super delicious! :)

32 Erica March 30, 2011 at 4:04 pm

i like the tops for both english muffins and bagels!!! i like the tops of english muffins because they toast up nice and crispy, and the tops of bagels…because i love the roundness.lol!
Erica recently posted..quarter-year check-in

33 Alexa @ Simple Eats March 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm

If it’s a savory bagel, like everything, I usually save the top for last, because I love the extra seasonings on top. Otherwise, just gimme anything!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Switch It Up

34 Allison March 30, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I always save the top of the English muffin for last too! It’s fluffier than the bottom. As for bagels, I like the top best. I usually eat Everything bagels; the top is where all the seasoning is. Yum!

35 kate@ahealthypassion March 30, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I love the top, its doughier! haha cute mug im a sucker for decorations I just love them
kate@ahealthypassion recently posted..Staying Healthy On Busy Days

36 Amy March 30, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Lately I’ve been addicted to pb as well. I thought about eating oats with an egg yesterday,but thought that I’d miss an opportunity to eat peanut butter, so I caved and had my good old pb and oats!!!

It’s not a bad addiction, right?
Amy recently posted..Soup with a Chance of Bread

37 Courtney March 30, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Definitely not! ;)

38 Mallory March 30, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I have that same breakfast almost everyday! Amazing that I never get sick of it! But I like the top of the english muffin the best for sure!

39 Emily March 31, 2011 at 11:32 am

The top! It’s doughier. And I like it doughy.
Emily recently posted..An Eggcelent Dinner

40 Christina March 31, 2011 at 12:20 pm

i’m exactly the same way! top for english muffins, bottom for bagels.

and yeah, i’m definitely addicted to peanut butter. every day.

41 Kristen March 31, 2011 at 1:24 pm

when eating a bagel I always eat the bottom last, weird yes haha.
And I will have to say you can NEVER have too much PB :-)

42 Sarah April 1, 2011 at 10:08 am

I like the top because its usually bigger ;)

I need to bust out my easter decorations now that its April!
Sarah recently posted..THE BIG MOVE